CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Comic Relief
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crawley Hammer
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Comic Relief Reply with quote

With Comic Relief just around the corner, it may be worth thinking about where the money goes. As well as some of the high profile and very worthy causes, in 2005-6 Comic Relief supported in the UK, amongst others:

Black and Ethnic Minorities Financial Services
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post CG.

Now who is running the sweep on the first person to call you a racist/nazi/bigot for stating fact?

Ian
Crawley Hammer
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as though posting off-topic avoids the tought police, although as it's completely factual it may be hard to argue against.

However, I posted the same information on another website and it's been removed three times and I've been warned by the moderators - maybe the truth hurts sometimes!!
Dave Leake
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Excellent post Reply with quote

Now I know it goes to so many worthy causes I may give double this year.

Have you got the whole list?

Would be interested to see what other good causes may benefit.
crawleytillidie
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 20

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Excellent post Reply with quote

Dave Leake wrote:
Now I know it goes to so many worthy causes I may give double this year.

Have you got the whole list?

Would be interested to see what other good causes may benefit.

Laughing Good joke.
MC
Coach
Coach

Topics: 130

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will gladly give money to worthy charities this Friday - like Cancer research, NSPCC, Heart Foundation, Help the Aged etc.

The fact that the VAST majority of the money goes abroad when so many in the UK suffer is bad enough, but the VAST majority of the UK money goes to drug addicts, drunks and minority groups is plenty enough for me to ignore the normal "right on we love the all embracing BBC" comics once every two years day out.

The only thing that would make me change my mind would be to see Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross give just 10% of their salary to the cause (bearing in mind we pay for their salary!) which would amount to around a
Dave Leake
Squad member
Squad member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not joking.

I'm happy to give my money as I have no issues with any of the charities on that list.

Quote:
The only thing that would make me change my mind would be to see Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross give just 10% of their salary to the cause (bearing in mind we pay for their salary!) which would amount to around a
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I don't think you are a racist or anything of the sort John. In fact I know you are not.

I looked at the post earlier today and decided to take a long hard look at the subject before replying.

Firstly, Comic Relief isn't a charity as such...it's a grant giver. It funds projects of various degrees.

Now I used to do voluntary work for the Lottery. First the Lotteries Board and then in it's various other guises including, awards for all, Community Fund and other such names.

this involved sitting in judgement on applications to award grants.

All the groups had to satisfy certain criteria and then if they were met they were point scored on other things including areas of deprivation and the such like.

Now I used to get wound up by charities like Help the Aged continually getting large grants. Why? Because they used ther status as a high profile charity to raise money to pay for professional grant getters. In short they employed people to get the right number of ticks in boxes on an application.

At the same time, many smaller, independent charities were getting overlooked for money because they did not have the same skill and expertise as the larger ones, not because the work they did was any less valuable.

So receiving a small grant like the ones CH outlines above can make a REAL difference to peoples lives. I'm not saying they are all worthwhile or valid...I haven't seen the applications. And I agree with MC's point about celebrities who promote the charities in return for fees. I've recently booked someone who not many of you have heard of...her fee is
MC
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could argue Ant that those that choose to smoke pretty much fund their NHS bills and research into cancer with the tax they pay on their cigarettes - the same with tax on booze and petrol.

However those that dont smoke and still contract the terrible disease that is cancer, including kids, will always have my vote when it comes to charitable donations.

Helping Credit Unions, ethnic financial services etc wont get my money im afraid.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant wrote:
the Lotteries Board and then in it's various other guises including, awards for all, Community Fund and other such names.

All the groups had to satisfy certain criteria

Not be exclusively white. Exclusively Asian, African or martian is fine, just not exclusively white Mad

I'm with John on this one.

And Dave, stop fishing, seriously. Five grand to Manchester Sudanese Tree Development Community. WTF?

Speaking of which, how long until someone will set up a group that trys to force Muslim women to go fishing! Rolling Eyes

Ian
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Comic Relief Reply with quote

Crawley Hammer wrote:

Black and Ethnic Minorities Financial Services
MC
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont agree Ian.

Some has to go to more ethnic diverse groups and minority organisations however far fetched it seems, but what should happen is the majority of the money help the majority of the people.

When you look down the list I spotted mainly "help" groups for drug addicts and drunks, credit unions and some obsecure others to say the least.

I fail to see how that helps the majority.

What about funding for new equipment at GOSH?? Play areas for the inner citites and other towns?? Youth groups which encompass all races to teach the kids some discipline and other ideas when not at school? Maybe money going to things like the cubs and scouts and encourage kids to go there? Rather than funding drug rehab why not fund drug awareness amoungst todays youth to stop them being tomorrows users??

And as mentioned above I detest being preached to by multi millionaires about giving money when they seem to think one days TV every two years - paid for by the licence fee holder - is them doing their bit.
Dave Leake
Squad member
Squad member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not be exclusively white. Exclusively Asian, African or martian is fine, just not exclusively white

I'm with John on this one.

And Dave, stop fishing, seriously. Five grand to Manchester Sudanese Tree Development Community. WTF?

I'm not fishing. I just don't agree with you. Rolling Eyes Is that allowed?
ant
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
ant wrote:
the Lotteries Board and then in it's various other guises including, awards for all, Community Fund and other such names.

All the groups had to satisfy certain criteria

Not be exclusively white. Exclusively Asian, African or martian is fine, just not exclusively white Mad

Actually exactly the opposite.

They had to prove that the project (or building) was open to all not based on gender, race or sexuality.

A great example is the Scouts and Guides who applied for money to redevelop their headquarters. Scouts, as a coeducational organisation, were allowed. Guides were not unless they shared their headquarters

They were allowed to be focussed on age grounds (hence Age Concern getting lots)
ant
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Five grand to Manchester Sudanese Tree Development Community. WTF?

Perhaps ratehr than criticise the grant we should find out what it was actually for.

I mean, if the Sudanese community were given the money to make good a piece of land in one of the tower block areas by planting trees, cleaning it of syringes and things like that...IS that such a bad use of funds?

I happen to agree with MC on a lot of it. Prevention is better than cure. So teaching kids about the perils of becoming a user is a good project and is something that shou,ld be done via schools and parents...something sadly lacking when I see parents outside schools loading their kids into cars when they light up a fag.

So some of it has to be done by outisde agencies. Cos (and this will get me into trouble) some parents are so thick and illiterate they seem unable to tell the difference between right and wrong.

Now some parents are too thick because they were failed by their parents and the education system of the say....and that includes ones that were schooled in the era since 1997 and the ones between the years 1979-97
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: