CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Cambridge United matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the first Utd goal on TV last noght and have to say defensively we looked all over the place as in fact we did when Payne was overrun and conceeded, this (as in many other areas) is something the dummy has continuously failed to address in his manager role and clearly the coaches are incapable.
Graeme
Coach
Coach

Topics: 68

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments on Saturdays game stun me. I wonder if the guys commenting were actually there and if so should they go to specsavers ?
i seen a lot worse games than Saturdays.

I though overall we were unlucky, certainly not a 2-0 game.
We were looking good in the first half, until the defence went to sleep (again!) that brought the Cambridge crowd to life and I think it was the turning point of the game.
In the second half we honestly didn't create enough and Cambridge were solid at the back and really controlled the game. When Harrold came on I thought we looked better and started winning a few headers and stretched them a bit.
As for the penalty we had pushed up to get an equaliser so its hardly a surprise they scored. Although Payne didn't have to take the man down. Payne's defending is always suspect, I always think he is a accident waiting to happen.

I thought Mersin played well when he came on, and might be a good backup to Morris next season.
it was the best I have seen Blackman play although the opposition seem to target him so he has more pressure on him (he still makes me nervous and his positioning is awful.)
The other sub Roberts didn't add anything, I am afraid I just don't think he is good enough at this level.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is simple. In 3 of the last 4 games (Cambridge, Accrington and Cheltenham) we have managed one effort on target.

The exception was Carlisle where we were a bit more 'at it's.

We will rarely win games like that regardless of how much huff and puff we put in.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme wrote:
The comments on Saturdays game stun me. I wonder if the guys commenting were actually there and if so should they go to specsavers ?
i seen a lot worse games than Saturdays..

I wasn't there and only read the reports which also seemed to suggest we we unlucky,...

Quote:
Defender Scott Wharton gave the U's the lead against the run of play 10 minutes before half-time, glancing Harrison Dunk's corner across Glenn Morris and into the net.

Cambridge had previously been saved by the post when Andre Blackman's effort from distance bounced back off the inside of Will Norris' upright, before Norris produced a superb stop to keep out Jimmy Smith's effort from the edge of the box.

And I'm not going to bleat if we are left with Payne desperately defending in the final minutes because we are chasing the game, cos IMHO that is what we should be doing..(?)

And - just to set myself up for a load of flak - I'm also inclined to agree with the view of our manager that the key attribute we lack is mental toughness... maybe what we require is an old experienced dog-of-war in the middle.. y'know the sort... a Dannie Bulman..!
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Graeme wrote:

I wasn't there and only read the reports which also seemed to suggest we we unlucky,...

Quote:
Defender Scott Wharton gave the U's the lead against the run of play 10 minutes before half-time, glancing Harrison Dunk's corner across Glenn Morris and into the net.

Cambridge had previously been saved by the post when Andre Blackman's effort from distance bounced back off the inside of Will Norris' upright, before Norris produced a superb stop to keep out Jimmy Smith's effort from the edge of the box.

And I'm not going to bleat if we are left with Payne desperately defending in the final minutes because we are chasing the game, cos IMHO that is what we should be doing..(?)

And - just to set myself up for a load of flak - I'm also inclined to agree with the view of our manager that the key attribute we lack is mental toughness... maybe what we require is an old experienced dog-of-war in the middle.. y'know the sort... a Dannie Bulman..!
what the dummy and his staff done to toughen the players up? Nothing. We cant be unlucky every week! Our league position over a season cant be argued with under the dummy we have been *beep*
John The Gas
Coach
Coach

Topics: 85

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:
Graeme wrote:

Quote:

what the dummy and his staff done to toughen the players up? Nothing. We cant be unlucky every week! Our league position over a season cant be argued with under the dummy we have been *beep*

I have to agree with Triple R.

JTG
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't expect to win a popularity contest, even against RR&R... but it is too simple to constantly shout SACK when things don't go your way...

...lets have a bit of calm reflection and a realistic assessment and a spot of perspective... there are alternative options to starting again, that some appear to lack the imagination to consider.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
I didn't expect to win a popularity contest, even against RR&R... but it is too simple to constantly shout SACK when things don't go your way...

...lets have a bit of calm reflection and a realistic assessment and a spot of perspective... there are alternative options to starting again, that some appear to lack the imagination to consider.
er like the dummy had a say in back room staff....yeah great coaching tactics eeve seen and scouting around stamfored bridge has er ....done *beep* all for us. I imagine Mr Erin will fly in on Saturday on a magic carpet and shower us long suffering fans with gold ad an apology for selling us up the river with dummy being the captain to sail tjis ship up the leagues. Only two get relegated from this league. That has saved dummy's neck. Did Dave Jones do much worse? A little tiny bit maybe.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR&R.. the problem I have with your rather one-dimensional view of the world is that it seems to be based on a belief that if something is not 100% right, then it must be 100% wrong..!

Now we can all take a position on how much is right and how much is wrong.. and what should be done about it... and we can all disagree on that point...

..but can we at least try to make a rational objective assessment based on a few more options than all or nothing.. cos real sustainable progress is never really possible with that short-term set of values, repetitive cycle and limited outlook.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
RR&R.. the problem I have with your rather one-dimensional view of the world is that it seems to be based on a belief that if something is not 100% right, then it must be 100% wrong..!

Now we can all take a position on how much is right and how much is wrong.. and what should be done about it... and we can all disagree on that point...

..but can we at least try to make a rational objective assessment based on a few more options than all or nothing.. cos real sustainable progress is never really possible with that short-term set of values, repetitive cycle and limited outlook.
i dont wanna wait another season watching drivel from a manager uncapable of making the grade before the penny drops for Mr Erin ....im hopeful the invisible man has seen enough. Are you a sth Thad?
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:

i dont wanna wait another season watching drivel from a manager uncapable of making the grade before the penny drops for Mr Erin ....im hopeful the invisible man has seen enough. Are you a sth Thad?

Funny cos I'm not the one confidently predicting the inevitable... you are..! Shocked
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:

Funny cos I'm not the one confidently predicting the inevitable... you are..! Shocked
so i wonder non sth...
Can pick and choose as season falls apart unlike sth that cant...that said its been so bad lately i know sth that started staying away too!
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My confusion, I thought - with strong regard for your liberal attitude to diction - that sth was a jedi warrior who utilized the dark side of the Force.

I'm a pretty dull, everyday fan who has never had a season ticket or ever intends to. There are various reasons but most of all I like the freedom of not having pre-paid for a match I may not be able - or indeed may voluntarily elect not - to attend.

We have disparate perspectives RR&R. I'm not a trigger-happy hire 'em and fire 'em type, I look to the positives and see if they can be built upon... probably a carry-over from my professional experience, which itself seems out of kilter with the modern world of football that appears to be all about instant gratification.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
My confusion, I thought - with strong regard for your liberal attitude to diction - that sth was a jedi warrior who utilized the dark side of the Force.

I'm a pretty dull, everyday fan who has never had a season ticket or ever intends to. There are various reasons but most of all I like the freedom of not having pre-paid for a match I may not be able - or indeed may voluntarily elect not - to attend.

We have disparate perspectives RR&R. I'm not a trigger-happy hire 'em and fire 'em type, I look to the positives and see if they can be built upon... probably a carry-over from my professional experience, which itself seems out of kilter with the modern world of football that appears to be all about instant gratification.
the more you see (e.g. sth) of the dummy attempting to manage the club you realise how he isnt up for the job. Yes we've had one or two half-baked attempts at playing football but if you look across the whole season you will see Crawley have underperformed failed to largely entertain recuit retain fans and performances have simply got worse with many players retained, dummy's recruits have flopped theres no indication the dummy is capable of changing himself! Weve nose dived so close to nonleague football we cannot afford to wait any longer to change things. The manequin has to go.
Graeme
Coach
Coach

Topics: 68

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:

the more you see (e.g. sth) of the dummy attempting to manage the club you realise how he isnt up for the job. Yes we've had one or two half-baked attempts at playing football but if you look across the whole season you will see Crawley have underperformed failed to largely entertain recuit retain fans and performances have simply got worse with many players retained, dummy's recruits have flopped theres no indication the dummy is capable of changing himself! Weve nose dived so close to nonleague football we cannot afford to wait any longer to change things. The manequin has to go.

I am not biting, just interested who you want them to replace Dummy with ?
(Please don't say Evans, I think he was really good but he would not be interested without them doubling the budget.)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: