CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Portsmouth matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penatlty save and our premature celebrations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgDGWFPpdi8

Pompey fans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejFfEiL4hD8
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex BH wrote:

The most disappointing thing for me wasn't losing to a better team with a much higher budget and much better support, it was our negative approach to the game and our lack of ambition. The way we set up, the best we could hope for was 0-0. In too many games we are too defensive defence and midfield sit deep too deep and we struggle to progress the ball up the pitch.

Totally agree with this. Yes, Portsmouth were a good side but before the match they weren't actually in the automatic promotion slots. No disrespect but we've played better sides than them in the past and not been afraid to try and take the game to them. We conceded ground and let them play it around without any concerted effort to press them. Even good players make mistakes when they are being harried but they had loads of time and space to move the ball around. When we did get the ball there were very few options for passes so we soon gave it away again. It might be a good exercise in tactical football chess for coaches but we've seen too much of this in recent years, starting under Barker, and it's not going to entice the casual fan to come again.
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
We also lack height - the 'very tall' player.

Their defender who scored was much taller than Collins so aerial combat was a no-no, and he was taller than our defenders so had that advantage (although actually marking him at the corner might have been an idea......)

Which is why I would always try to find a place for Josh Yorwerth. Cue people saying he makes silly mistakes but then again doesn't everyone? At least he has the stature and power to compete with the big guys. Was he injured or ill on Tuesday? And does anyone know where Jordan Roberts is at the moment?
Ivor
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered where Yorweth was on Tuesday.He has just returned from suspension so guess he must be injured.Sadly Roberts seems to be more often injured than fit.Harrold still unfit.We only had 6 subs again.We don't seem to get many updates on injuries.
ElTel
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivor wrote:
I wondered where Yorweth was on Tuesday.He has just returned from suspension so guess he must be injured.Sadly Roberts seems to be more often injured than fit.Harrold still unfit.We only had 6 subs again.We don't seem to get many updates on injuries.
All three were sitting alongside me on Tuesday, Roberts I believe has a foot injury but not sure what is wrong with Yorwerth, Garnett is also injured.
Red Army
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Yoreworth is fit? Should be playing reguarly IMO. Also mystified at the continued absence of Kaby, who has been outstanding every time I've seen in.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Army wrote:
I believe Yoreworth is fit? Should be playing reguarly IMO. Also mystified at the continued absence of Kaby, who has been outstanding every time I've seen in.

I like 'em both, they give us that bit of snap which we were desperately missing on Tuesday night, we couldn't disrupt Pompey's rhythm. Kaby's distribution has got better too and his energy has never been questioned.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan (Cheltenham Branch) wrote:
Alex BH wrote:

The most disappointing thing for me wasn't losing to a better team with a much higher budget and much better support, it was our negative approach to the game and our lack of ambition. The way we set up, the best we could hope for was 0-0. In too many games we are too defensive defence and midfield sit deep too deep and we struggle to progress the ball up the pitch.

Totally agree with this. Yes, Portsmouth were a good side but before the match they weren't actually in the automatic promotion slots. No disrespect but we've played better sides than them in the past and not been afraid to try and take the game to them. We conceded ground and let them play it around without any concerted effort to press them. Even good players make mistakes when they are being harried but they had loads of time and space to move the ball around. When we did get the ball there were very few options for passes so we soon gave it away again. It might be a good exercise in tactical football chess for coaches but we've seen too much of this in recent years, starting under Barker, and it's not going to entice the casual fan to come again.

The remark
Quote:
The way we set up, the best we could hope for was 0-0. In too many games we are too defensive defence and midfield sit deep too deep and we struggle to progress the ball up the pitch.
captures very well where DD style of football is at and wht he has post match said pleased him. Ive called it a defensive line and then another defensive line in front of it. Entertaining? Drawing fans in?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: