CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Portsmouth matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've seen worse this season. The penalty was the turning point. Yes, Morris saved it, but you have to think we were still celebrating that and switched off for the corner. Pompey were fitter, clearly, but that meant we had space. It's just a shame we couldn't exploit it.

Still, we're in the same position we were before the game. Put it behind us and move on.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey are a decent side but we made it easy for them, not incisive enough and gave it away cheaply too often, we actually started playing a bit after we'd gone two goals down but too little too late.

Can't fault the effort of Collins & Murphy and there were some decent blocks by our defence, but it was gutting to see the penalty saved by the brilliant Morris only to concede to a straight-forward header from the resultant corner... did their second get a deflection..?

Great atmosphere and big crowd but not enough quality from us when it mattered.
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphy did OK for me. Certainly the only player on our team who had the speed of thoughtand skill to get to a ball and control it.

DD needs to take a long hard llook at himself, he keeps saying we are building or work in progress but in all honesty I really struggle to were where this progress is. We play not to lose both home and away most occasions, there is no discernable pattern to our play and the team look unfit. hardly a basis to pitch to keep your job.
far2jammy
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing three top sides in a row really highlights which players are good enough and who are lacking. We have 4 players that could mount a league challenge maybe 5 that could be squad level. But still need two full backs three midfielders and another forward. But given we are not going down hopefully we will look to build.now for next year.
Hickmott Senior
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Great atmosphere and big crowd but not enough quality from us when it mattered.

Yes flippin marvellous

Ever felt like being an outsider in your home town? It must have spurred our lads on o end
Ali C
First Team
First Team

Topics: 27

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I walked away from the ground this evening in an unusual state of mind. A mixture of acceptance that man for man they were just so much better than us but then on the other hand disappointment that we didn't even try to compete. A flattering scoreline on our behalf I would say. Others have mentioned it but a huge shout out to their fans, absolutely unbelievable, find me a 4th tier club anywhere in the world with that level of support. Also, if someone could find out what Lelan does in training to warrant a place in the starting XI could someone let me know, he is one of the worst players I have seen in my 9 years supporting Crawley. In conclusion: Bored bored bored.
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, really bad to concede that first goal straight after the penalty save.I felt for Morris there as it was a free header.

I quite enjoyed the evening though, with that being the largest HOME crowd I've been in at the Broadfield.Portsmouths fans were quite superb in all honesty.......that's how you support your football club!!!

The irony in me being sat in amongst a group of around 30 Portsmouth fans in block E of the east stand.Thanks for that CTFC.
By the way, they were a decent bunch and were there for one thing.To support their team, nothing more, nothing less.
I never heard an expletive from any of them, let alone anything else.
I had a good chat with a few of them both prior to and during the game.

Then guess what happens in the 75th minute?

Two stewards come marching up telling them they had to go!!!!
They didn't want to go, obviously.
Myself and a couple of others told/asked the stewards to leave them alone.I honestly think the stewards could have caused an issue which really wasn't necessary but maybe they have to do these things...it seemed daft to me so late on.

Oh well, we ain't going up, we ain't going down so move on I suppose.
Broadfield Dave
First Team
First Team

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed to be a lot of Pompey fans in with the home fans in the East Stand. Some fairly unsavoury scenes when they scored. I don't mind away fans stealthily going in with the home ones assuming there's enough seats (and let's face it, there's usually more than enough) and they're decent enough to keep themselves to themselves, but don't start singing and banging seats and getting in the faces of the home crowd. Could have gotten nasty if there hadn't been kids about. I came very close to launching my coffee at them, but my aim is terrible and coffee isn't cheap.

Credit to the fans who had the sense to go in the away end though, they were loud and proud all night. Quite something when you think not that long ago they were in the Premier League, winning the FA Cup and playing AC Milan in Europe, and tonight they celebrated a laboured win over a very poor Crawley Town side like it was the Champions League final. Fair play. Wish our fans had that kind of passion.

As for the game, we were *beep*.

Was there an incident in Redz before the game by the way? When I was going in the stewards were all patting themselves on the back for dealing with what I assume was a full blown riot from what they were saying (I figure they may have been overplaying it).
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:
Two stewards come marching up telling them they had to go!!!!.

Go, from the East Stand or the ground..?

Either way it seems a bit OTT if there was no trouble.
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gulf between the sides was huge.We huffed and puffed whilst they seemed to glide over the pitch with ease.When pompey had the ball it was moved quickly with purpose to start an attack.When we got the ball it was like the players had been thrown a hand grenade with the pin out there only thought being to get rid without thought.
No decent crosses for Murphy and Collins to feed off.We mostly lumped it forward in the hope they'd hold the ball up or knock it on to anywhere really.
Midfield was the most disapointing aspect for me.They all did next to nothing.No driving runs deep into pompey half when we had the ball and no bite to win it back when we didn't. Some of the play when we got possession was extremely sloppy and just put our defence in trouble time and again.
The defence did ok.I thought they held there shape reasonably well considering the relentless pressure they were exposed to apart from when the goal was scored from the corner.
We played 442 tonight,which is great,trouble is the players have yet again been set up in a system they're not used to.DD doesn't know what that system should be,which isn't helping our cause either.
I suppose like others have said we just haven't the quality out there to hurt teams.
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
Two stewards come marching up telling them they had to go!!!!.

Go, from the East Stand or the ground..?

Either way it seems a bit OTT if there was no trouble.

I heard one say "come on, you've got to go"
I'm not sure what the intention was.
I didn't see any trouble from any of them whatsoever.Quite the opposite infact.
When you consider there had been a penalty award, a penalty saved and two goals by then, I'm sure if any of them had wanted a pop they would have already gone for it.

A little strange to try and turf them out so late.Whether it's the right thing to do or not, common sense would suggest to just leave it be.

For the record, I was sat with my 8 year old son and felt no threat at all.
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drum my just described Crawleys performance as super and said he was really pleased. Is he talking the xxxx.

Think I am done for this season bored watching us most games last five home games have been as bad as I have seen. Four lame defeats and a very lucky nil nil.

No doubt I will be back next year but I am not paying 22 quid to watch the rubbish being served up week after week.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
I'm sure I've seen worse this season. The penalty was the turning point. Yes, Morris saved it, but you have to think we were still celebrating that and switched off for the corner. Pompey were fitter, clearly, but that meant we had space. It's just a shame we couldn't exploit it.

Still, we're in the same position we were before the game. Put it behind us and move on.
Spot in Peter the penalty turned the game we switched off free header and game over as we never looked like scoring. Best we could've hope for was 0-0. Once again they showed what utter 5cum they are with the fans ejected the flares and fans in he seated areas celebrating their goals. I thought we were set up to attack with two upfront but we would've had 4 upfront as all the midfield did was form a defensive line in front of the defensive line. Negative football and ib front of or largest reds attendance I think even after taking the opposing followers away. Disappointing that we never tried to do anything but hold on to a 0-0 which was never really going to happen. I hope the owners saw that as it woudve given a clear indication our entire team is not good enough to get up. Morris once again did not deserve to being the losing side. I hope he stays with us but any scouts present will have seen this season what a good keeper he is.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:
I agree, really bad to concede that first goal straight after the penalty save.I felt for Morris there as it was a free header.

I quite enjoyed the evening though, with that being the largest HOME crowd I've been in at the Broadfield.Portsmouths fans were quite superb in all honesty.......that's how you support your football club!!!

The irony in me being sat in amongst a group of around 30 Portsmouth fans in block E of the east stand.Thanks for that CTFC.
By the way, they were a decent bunch and were there for one thing.To support their team, nothing more, nothing less.
I never heard an expletive from any of them, let alone anything else.
I had a good chat with a few of them both prior to and during the game.

Then guess what happens in the 75th minute?

Two stewards come marching up telling them they had to go!!!!
They didn't want to go, obviously.
Myself and a couple of others told/asked the stewards to leave them alone.I honestly think the stewards could have caused an issue which really wasn't necessary but maybe they have to do these things...it seemed daft to me so late on.

Oh well, we ain't going up, we ain't going down so move on I suppose.
away fans in the home section is wrong always will be and its disgraceful and they should've been thrown out the second it was known. in fairness I think the club did what they could in trying to avoid away followers in the home sections but really I think the po9lice could've been involved and used here to eject those in breach of ground regulations. Were the Stewards slow to react seems so given the timing was it necessary to act absolutely. That's what segregation is about. Zero tolerance on abusing it.
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
Drum my just described Crawleys performance as super and said he was really pleased. Is he talking the xxxx.

I think his interview with Bruce was a fair summary. We contained them first half. The penalty was the game changer, yet we still created a couple of chances. I'd be surprised if Portsmouth are still in L2 next season.

Crawley69 wrote:
Think I am done for this season bored watching us most games last five home games have been as bad as I have seen. Four lame defeats and a very lucky nil nil.

No doubt I will be back next year but I am not paying 22 quid to watch the rubbish being served up week after week.

I'm sure you'll be missed. Embarassed

Nothing like supporting the team. And that's nothing like supporting the tea. Wouldn't expect anything less though. Shocked
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: