CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Old football grounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Old football grounds Reply with quote

A piece on the Daily Mail that's worth reading.

No, really.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new.....-left.html

Personally, I find nothing more fascinating than old grounds and their legacies. I have similar passions for disused railway lines but tend to keep those a bit more hidden. I certainly wouldn't advertise that fetish on an internet forum, I can tell you that much!
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a couple of excellent gigs recently at "Under the bridge"... a very nice music venue located in the belly of the East Stand at Chelsea... myself and my mate tried to work out the topography of where we used to stand in the late sixties, by the bovril hut at the shed end...

...our old walk from the pub on the fulham road took in a large grass bank and lots of rickety steps before standing miles from the football on the pitch...

..we now realise just how far from the action we were... today the shed end is for away supporters and they have also generously built a large car park, two hotels and restaurants in the space left behind by removing the running track, wasteland and placing the stands proximate to the pitch.

They have done a fabulous job and it is now an upmarket money-making machine, but we both felt a sense of loss. Of course, the biggest thing that was actually missing was the sense of imminent danger...!
Sussex Boy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like old football grounds.

As a kid the only reading I done was books football grounds. There are plenty of sites on lines with info and pictures of old grounds. They just had so much better atmosphere and character!!!!
Mr.T.
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody visit Hillingdons old ground,think it was called Leas park or similar.The whole place seemed to be made entirely of wood,it just stuck with me as being very"different".Good bar though.
Cakeburner
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 692

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder how many people on here would say they've been to Town Mead compared with the average attendance between 1975 & 1995 ? lol
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cakeburner wrote:
i wonder how many people on here would say they've been to Town Mead compared with the average attendance between 1975 & 1995 ? lol

Yes, Town Mead via Pope's Mead.
Mr.T.
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
Cakeburner wrote:

Yes, Town Mead via Pope's Mead.

Or the fire station 😁.Remember one home game against Corby, less than 200 there😕
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: