CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |


What relevance is the location of the ball?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 18 Feb 2018
Posts: 4964
Topics: 102
Location: Ifield

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: What relevance is the location of the ball? Reply with quote

Taking an issue from last nights televised game, the discussion at half time revolved around the free kick given that Chelsea scored from.

The retired Scouser kept on about the fact that it wasn't a foul as the ball was 10 yards away. Ignoring the rights or wrongs of that particular decision, what is the relevance of the ball's position?

I fail to see in the laws of the game the location of the ball mentioned.

Quote:
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:
kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
trips or attempts to trip an opponent
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent


So if that particular ex-player was racing down the pitch with the ball 'more than 10 yards away' and was deliberately tripped, would he appeal for a foul? I am sure he would and would have expected it to be given.

Any views on this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Last Visit: 18 Sep 2017
Posts: 5070
Topics: 103

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The position of the ball is irrelevant.
If the ball is at one end of the pitch and the keeper kicks a striker at the other end (in the area), it's a penalty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andrew
First Team
First Team


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 22 Sep 2017
Posts: 879
Topics: 33
Location: Pound Hill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
and the keeper kicks a striker at the other end (in the area), it's a penalty.


Or if you have an ex Dutch Marine keeper who cleanly catches the ball then wallops an opponent who got to close to him in a challenge maybe ......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 23 May 2017
Posts: 825
Topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:
and the keeper kicks a striker at the other end (in the area), it's a penalty.


Or if you have an ex Dutch Marine keeper who cleanly catches the ball then wallops an opponent who got to close to him in a challenge maybe ......


That's hardly likely to happen though, is it? Especially if said keeper had only just come back from a ban for another red card.... Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Last Visit: 18 Sep 2017
Posts: 5070
Topics: 103

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have Kuipers in mind when I posted that. He must have been pretty nasty - they even named a belt after him.
The funny thing is that I think Evans said that he would never play for Crawley again. Look how that turned out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crawley_Aviator
Youth team
Youth team


Joined: 02 Nov 2013
Last Visit: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 44
Topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For purposes of record (speaking as the only orange Red supporter in town), he was a ROYAL marine. Not quite Brexit yet so let's cherish our Dutch friends.

Have you noticed that now as you write 'brexit' lower case it autos corrects to an upper case. Love you oxford dictionary....shame you don't auto correct your self.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matcowdrey
Squad member
Squad member


Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Last Visit: 13 May 2019
Posts: 332
Topics: 8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley_Aviator wrote:
For purposes of record (speaking as the only orange Red supporter in town), he was a ROYAL marine. Not quite Brexit yet so let's cherish our Dutch friends.


If you want to be really pedantic, he was a member of the Korps Mariniers.

So technically he was a member of the Marine Corps of the Royal Netherlands Navy, not a member of the Royal Marines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 16179
Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... Royal Marines versus Korps Mariniers.... who'd win in a straight fight..?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matcowdrey
Squad member
Squad member


Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Last Visit: 13 May 2019
Posts: 332
Topics: 8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
So.... Royal Marines versus Korps Mariniers.... who'd win in a straight fight..?


I'd go for a draw. Bearing in mind that their training is virtually the same and they occasionally train together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 18 Feb 2018
Posts: 4964
Topics: 102
Location: Ifield

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matcowdrey wrote:
thad wrote:
So.... Royal Marines versus Korps Mariniers.... who'd win in a straight fight..?


I'd go for a draw. Bearing in mind that their training is virtually the same and they occasionally train together.


Shall I put that on my pools coupon?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 15 Jul 2018
Posts: 11231
Topics: 379

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kippers bored us away at Barnet by several minutes kicking keeper to keeper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
josefk
First Team
First Team


Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Last Visit: 09 Sep 2017
Posts: 1090
Topics: 15
Location: West Stand A90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
The position of the ball is irrelevant.
If the ball is at one end of the pitch and the keeper kicks a striker at the other end (in the area), it's a penalty.


I really hope I never see a Ref do that. Outrageous decision.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach


Joined: 19 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 24 May 2018
Posts: 2868
Topics: 59
Location: Worth actually

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josefk wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:
The position of the ball is irrelevant.
If the ball is at one end of the pitch and the keeper kicks a striker at the other end (in the area), it's a penalty.


I really hope I never see a Ref do that. Outrageous decision.


You will have to explain that one to me Joe. I've seen numerous occasions where an off the ball incident has resulted in a free kick so why not a penalty?

Jim Baker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Last Visit: 18 Sep 2017
Posts: 5070
Topics: 103

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Baker wrote:
josefk wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:
The position of the ball is irrelevant.
If the ball is at one end of the pitch and the keeper kicks a striker at the other end (in the area), it's a penalty.


I really hope I never see a Ref do that. Outrageous decision.


You will have to explain that one to me Joe. I've seen numerous occasions where an off the ball incident has resulted in a free kick so why not a penalty?

Jim Baker


I read it as a bit of dry wit about how people harangue the ref even when he applies rules correctly, even slightly less well-known ones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
josefk
First Team
First Team


Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Last Visit: 09 Sep 2017
Posts: 1090
Topics: 15
Location: West Stand A90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
Jim Baker wrote:
josefk wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:
The position of the ball is irrelevant.
If the ball is at one end of the pitch and the keeper kicks a striker at the other end (in the area), it's a penalty.


I really hope I never see a Ref do that. Outrageous decision.


You will have to explain that one to me Joe. I've seen numerous occasions where an off the ball incident has resulted in a free kick so why not a penalty?

Jim Baker


I read it as a bit of dry wit about how people harangue the ref even when he applies rules correctly, even slightly less well-known ones.


If the ball is at the other end of the pitch first question is, does play need to be stopped immediately (there is a difference in one sly kick and numerous roundhouse kicks to the head), if not being stopped immediately as soon as ball is next out of play you would halt the game and dismiss keeper for VC, restart would be for what the ball went out of play for, throw in or corner etc.

If the kicking was so bad that you had to stop play immediately you'd dismiss keeper for VC and restart with a IDFK as per law 13 to the side that had a player kicked from the place the ball was when play was stopped.If you ever recall Le Saux and someone else hitting each other you'll see that was restarted with an IDFK. (Main reason it sticks out is that it was used this year on promotion test).

So, whilst we're talking laws do you think you can caution a player for persistently infringing on his first foul that they've committed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum






This forum is run independently from and has no connection with the Crawley Town Football Club official site
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.


  Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit