CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Brexit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:

I have no problems with people coming to live here, however I do consider that a fundamental requirement is being able to speak English. If people can't speak English they should perhaps reconsider whether the UK is the right place to be living.

If you head to Dubai for example your documents, certificates etc all have to be in Arabic....like it or lump it.

As someone who has worked in many countries (some for long enough periods of time to consider them home) I speak no languages other than English. I've always muddled through when it's come to officialdom (and this was in days that pre-date the internet)

Nowadays support with overseas paperwork - for example when I was in Afghanistan, Japan, US, China - comes from my employers. In other words not taxpayers (accepting the fact that my company is tax payer funded) but as part of the overall costs of deploying me to those places

I do think it's right and proper that we offer material to people in their language, be it text phone, Braille, large print - and for certain parts of the country- Welsh or Gaelic. But when I hear of primary schools having to translate material into 22 different languages to satisfy parents it does get my goat - particularly as those resources could be better used elsewhere.

It's part of the you've got to help me mentality. Instead I want the state to help people who make an effort to help themselves - if a family sign up for an english learning course then for the duration of that course we should offer them the support they deserve. As they are taking the iniative.
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
My god, this forum is filled with wet wipes.

Don't tell me it's taken you almost 10 years (+ however long you were a member before the data was all lost) to realise this?

The ground is, so it's no surprise that the forum is.

As soon as he said it the obligatory outrage was predictable!

Didn't see any outrage tbh. Just a few people who found his comment distasteful. Which it was.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
Ian wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

Don't tell me it's taken you almost 10 years (+ however long you were a member before the data was all lost) to realise this?

Didn't see any outrage tbh. Just a few people who found his comment distasteful. Which it was.

I'm sorry if you found it distasteful. My apologies, as that wasn't the intention. However it certainly wasn't racist - the issue of whether one speaks good English isn't a matter of race.

Also ask yourself why the majority of people voted for Brexit. Clue - it wasn't on economic grounds.

By all means have people trolling on here, but when you get caught out making a bad job of it please don't claim that 'I don't speak English very well'. If you use words like 'preceded' it's best to know what they mean. That is just common sense.
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:

Also ask yourself why the majority of people voted for Brexit. Clue - it wasn't on economic grounds.

It was to get 350 million a week into the NHS wasn't it Wink

Seriously, I think it's pretty difficult to judge why people voted for Brexit or not- that much is clear as even those on the leave side of the argument row over whether it was about leaving the EU, leaving the single market, leaving the Customs agreement or a general feeling of dis-satisfaction within the liberal elite
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a number of reasons why Leave won, some based in reality and some in fantasy - just like the Remain arguments. I would like to think that everyone went through all the issues and carefully prioritised them, though I imagine that many didn't - on both sides.
However, although I don't give a flying fig whether or not Triple R chooses to write properly or not, I would not have a fun dig at his English if I believed it to be a second language for him or if it were a literacy issue. I only do it sometimes because he clearly can write quite well when he wants to.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only surprise here is that someone I considered to be a a bit of a left leaning liberal voted to Leave Laughing
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey this thread has taken the "out campaign"all the way from "Drummy out"..
...to "spit the dummy out"...

baby

It has descended into farce... but that is not surprising really, because there was never a rational basis for initiating the thread in the first instance, in a direct comparison to the previous management team, DeeDee has our team:
- attaining marginally more points to date
- playing considerably more attractive football
- engaging more personally with the fan base

That's it folks... In, out, shake it all about.! Rolling Eyes
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
Ian wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

I didn't see any 'casual racism' so I guess we're on the level overall Smile
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, that was a bit of a dust up. My apologies to all who may have been upset.

I can't believe that someone who does a routine troll job on here could possibly be upset by what was said.

And for the record I support DD 100% and find any suggestion of his dismissal laughable.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
On balance removing a manager thats a vast improvement on the line of clowns he preceeded .

Maybe look up the meaning of preceded in the dictionary in tomorrow's play time and come back to us when you have worked it out.
its simple simon, if your first language isnt English you get across best you can. Maybe your grasp of understanding the *****ing obvious isnt that good. Or maybe you need new specs to see the obvious.

Why do you think the majority of us voted for Brexit?

Goodbye.

Oops, I bet you wish you could take that comment back.

I have no stats to back this up, but I'm willing to guess that more people coming to this country with a different mother tongue to English can speak English compared to British people in Spain, France, Greece and Cyprus learning those respective languages.

The truth is, immigration was the one key issue in the referendum. How depressingly sad.
Mr.T.
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
On balance removing a manager thats a vast improvement on the line of clowns he preceeded .

Maybe look up the meaning of preceded in the dictionary in tomorrow's play time and come back to us when you have worked it out.
its simple simon, if your first language isnt English you get across best you can. Maybe your grasp of understanding the *****ing obvious isnt that good. Or maybe you need new specs to see the obvious.

Goodbye.

I have no stats to back this up, but I'm willing to guess that more people coming to this country with a different mother tongue to English can speak English compared to British people in Spain, France, Greece and Cyprus learning those respective languages.

The truth is, immigration was the one key issue in the referendum. How depressingly sad.

Have to disagree entirely,it certainly wasn't the reason many I know voted leave.But it is convinient for remain supporters to suggest this.
Damo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.T. wrote:
Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:

Goodbye.

Have to disagree entirely,it certainly wasn't the reason many I know voted leave.But it is convinient for remain supporters to suggest this.

Yes, most leave voters seem to deny that this was the reason. That's exactly why Simon's post was noteworthy.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.T. wrote:
Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:

Goodbye.

Was if for the obvious economic benefits it would bring us?

It may not have been your reason, but even the Kippers say it was the main driver.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damo wrote:
Mr.T. wrote:
Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
Simon wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:

Goodbye.

Yes, most leave voters seem to deny that this was the reason. That's exactly why Simon's post was noteworthy.

A bit of slip of the guard too.

I'm sure there were many spurious economic and constitutional justifications made at the time to make it socially more palatable, but at the end of the day 'there's just too many foreigners, innit.'

I don't know what we'll do about the 60% of migrants that come from non-EU countries though...
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what we'll do about the 60% of migrants that come from non-EU countries though...

They can have the jobs the Poles are doing when the white europeans are kicked out Wink

Thads theory: Tories pledged referendum to counter UKIP, in the belief their coalition partners would veto it.. but it worked too well and public took the opportunity to stick it to the man... blame democracy.

Anyway... How is Drummy doing?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: