CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

American Football / Grid Iron / NFL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: American Football / Grid Iron / NFL Reply with quote

As we are all fans of REAL football, and many on here are fans of many other sports, I wondered what you lot thought about American Football ?

NFL is finding more and more TV space over here, live games at Wembley and in future years will be played at Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium.

I think it is ok, but that's all.

It is too stop / start and you rarely get more than several seconds of play without stopping to re set the players.

Any thoughts , like it , hate it ? Big fan ?

Would be interested to know.

PS, was there a team in Crawley several years ago, I seem to remember passing a training session near Sainsburys many years ago.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago Channel 4 (I think) gave American football huge coverage for a few years that gained a modicum of interest over here. Enough for a small league to form.

The interest waned, so now someone else is trying again? It won't last.
Sussex Boy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mind abbot of NFL but never watched a full match. Usually try and stay up for the super bowl tho.

On talkSPORT yesterday someone was saying we need the NFL type atmos in English football.......*beep* off.....no thanks!

English football has its own atmosphere style (even if it is slowly evaporating)
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: American Football / Grid Iron / NFL Reply with quote

Maidenbower Millionaire wrote:
As we are all fans of REAL football, and many on here are fans of many other sports, I wondered what you lot thought about American Football ?

A pig steaming pile of boring stop start horse *beep*. As you asked. sleepy2 sleepy2 sleepy2 sleepy2
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: American Football / Grid Iron / NFL Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

A pig steaming pile of boring stop start horse *beep*. As you asked. sleepy2 sleepy2 sleepy2 sleepy2

Not a fan then Ian?
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
Years ago Channel 4 (I think) gave American football huge coverage for a few years that gained a modicum of interest over here. Enough for a small league to form.

It's more popular now than it was when C4 showed it back in the day.

I'm a fan and even took in a game in a recent trip to the US.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
Phil T wrote:

It's more popular now than it was when C4 showed it back in the day.

I'm a fan and even took in a game in a recent trip to the US.

To be honest, Peter, I like to watch it too, but prefer football! If I ever went to the states I would try and take in a game too*.

I recall an American colleague telling me that as Channel 4 missed a lot of the breaks in their coverage, it was actually a better experience watching the games here.

* Although in my trips to Australia I've not yet taken in a game of Aussie rules.......
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok. I'd never go to a game though, but ok on TV. I like the highlights show and usually watch the Super Bowl.

In terms of live sport, I spent some time in the US and really got into baseball. I think it's a fantastic sport to watch live.

My second favourite TV sport is snooker, I can watch that all day amid snoozes.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a funny sort of sport insofar as it is over-tactical to the degree that in any play EVERY player will be making a significant contribution... and that means following the ball doesn't usually give you the complete picture. It is totally suited to TV as when the action is replayed and slowed down you can spot the vital blocks, dummies & runs that make the entire play. It is quite often about very small margins and the ability to retain possession despite the play breaking down.

I have attended a few live games and quite enjoy the TV coverage, although it does contain an awful lot of psycho-babble and all-american bison-plop.. I got into it cos my son played for the Crawley Raiders a few decades back, he was a nose tackle and his sole mission was to get past the protection and disrupt - hopefully sack - the opposing quarterback... I think he had a lot of fun.

My advice to the uninitiated is to watch the last quarter only, it becomes a lesson in game management and the dynamic really changes when one team are forced to go on the offensive.
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
It's a funny sort of sport insofar as it is over-tactical to the degree that in any play EVERY player will be making a significant contribution... and that means following the ball doesn't usually give you the complete picture. It is totally suited to TV as when the action is replayed and slowed down you can spot the vital blocks, dummies & runs that make the entire play. It is quite often about very small margins and the ability to retain possession despite the play breaking down.

I have attended a few live games and quite enjoy the TV coverage, although it does contain an awful lot of psycho-babble and all-american bison-plop.. I got into it cos my son played for the Crawley Raiders a few decades back, he was a nose tackle and his sole mission was to get past the protection and disrupt - hopefully sack - the opposing quarterback... I think he had a lot of fun.

My advice to the uninitiated is to watch the last quarter only, it becomes a lesson in game management and the dynamic really changes when one team are forced to go on the offensive.

Great post Thad, very informative and exactly what I was interested to find out.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: American Football / Grid Iron / NFL Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
Ian wrote:

Not a fan then Ian?

Its foookin shiiiiite, as they'd say in Manchester.
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:

Although they might get confused when everyone walks on the pitch when there's still over 30 seconds left on the game clock. Laughing
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: American Football / Grid Iron / NFL Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Its foookin shiiiiite, as they'd say in Manchester.

To be fair, Ian, it is a game that anyone can play.

The quick runners can leg it up the pitch to catch the ball, thrown by the masochist who has running at him half a dozen lumbering not-so-quick runners, who are coming round the half dozen really fat blokes running one yard at the other really fat blokes covering the same yard in reverse.

And if you can kick the egg then you get one kick every 20 minutes or so.

Wink
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand why people don't like the sport, I really only developed an appreciation - as I did with computer games, comic novels & hip-hop - because of my parental responsibilities.

What is missing is spontaneity, footy fans are used to a more free-flowing instinctive & intuitive game that can be truly exhilarating when it is executed well, there is nothing quite like it.

notworthy

Most moves in the NFL are practised drills involving a pass from the QB and a catch, fumble or interception and then play stops (unless the clock dictates otherwise), there is very rarely a 2nd pass or run as it is all about percentages, gaining yardage or denying possession.

When an attacker catches the ball and makes for the touchline it gets close to what we appreciate and you do get the very occasional moment, such as when the QB dummies to pass and runs with the ball or a defender intercepts and sets off down field (relying on teammates blocking in order to create a clear path)... but those unscripted elements are quite rare.

Completely counter-intuitive to our ilk is when a few points behind but in possession, a team will deliberately advance at a slow-rate, often showing little interest in scoring until the last few seconds, but are simply determined to run down the clock and reduce the opportunity for the opposition to reply.

In truth, for the most part it is an attritional battle to gain ten yards, not exciting spectacle but nonetheless very competitive and on its own terms quite skillful and unless you can value the minor skirmishes within the major conflicts, it is not a great watch for people used to the end-to-end nature of proper footy.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbowl 51 was (to use the local vernacular) AWWWWESOME

If you didn't watch it then catch the highlights... or at the very least the final quarter... you won't regret it.

ps. Lady Gugga did the worst karaoke drag act in history.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: