CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Allardyce appointed England Manager
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Allardyce appointed England Manager Reply with quote

Interesting.

It would be hard to find someone worse than Hodgson (unless John Gregory was on the short-list).

Good luck to him. Maybe a bit of good old English grit is what we need.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he has been in the Premier League for quite a few seasons now, so has the advantage of having seen pretty much all of the players.

But as for winning things.....
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god Celtic snapped up Brendan Rodgers when they did.
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think there's an issue around international managers....few of the world class coaches are working with a national side. And we need to reflect on that.

For that reason, Big Sam is as good a choice as you could make. There are just three English managers in the Premier League and whilst he's not won anything major he's got more about him than Pardew. And it maybe just too soon for Eddie Howe.

I'd have personally gone with Hoddle/Howe but can see the fear of pulling together two people who have not worked together before
Simon
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Hoddle/Howe would have worked to be honest.

If he is suitable then Howe should have had the job, however at international level you need someone who is ready and let's face it what manager wants someone else hanging around in a 'helper' type role. It's like the 'Director of Football' nonsense that Crawley had when Steve Coppell was around. Bottom line is I don't think he is ready yet, he may have been a manager almost 10 years but only (I think) 1 season in the Premier League.

Allardyce by contrast is one of the most experienced managers and to me was the right choice all the way if we were going with a British manager.
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the English candidates, Allardyce was probably the best choice. Howe is too inexperienced, Hoddle has been out of management too long. Steve Bruce? Hasn't really done anything of note to warrant getting the job, aside from being English.
I wouldn't have minded the FA taking a punt on Klinsmann, or even better Hiddink (sp) but I don't think they were looking beyond the two that they interviewed.
The level England are currently playing at, Allardyce is a reasonable choice I guess. Not sure if he is the guy to take England to the next level, but he will probably stop them sliding even further into mediocrity.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Carroll will be pleased.

Now, which fullbacks will be sorting out their passports? Any who can aim a 70 yard high pass at the penalty spot!
theglenmen
First Team
First Team

Topics: 81

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
Not sure if he is the guy to take England to the next level

I always think that's a bit of an odd phrase anyway as that isn't really a job the England manager can do, only gets to work with the players a few days at a time (other than tournaments). His job is merely to get the best out of the players he picks. That is a much wider job that falls with The FA - probably explaining why it hasn't happened.

IMO he is certainly the best man for that, can get a team organised, won't be afraid to pick outside the 'big' clubs, does have some personality and will give it to them both barrels if they aren't doing their jobs.
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

Now, which fullbacks will be sorting out their passports? Any who can aim a 70 yard high pass at the penalty spot!

Certain call up for Kyle McFadzean then Razz
Sussex Boy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes no difference who the manager or players are. It will be the same old story at the next few tournaments do well in qualifying then get through the group stage and then out in 2nd round or quarters.

As iv said many times before (on here, at pub and work etc), we wont contend for anything until we change football in this country. Pains me to say it but we need to adopt a German style system in the leagues and home grown players.
John The Gas
Coach
Coach

Topics: 85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Noble and Andy Carroll will be chuffed to bits⚒

JTG
josefk
First Team
First Team

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Allardyce is the perfect fit for England manager.

If we viewed an international team league in the same manner as the premier league then England would be Sunderland.

Here's to a few more years of same meat, different gravy and lots of amusement. Probably the happiest would be Clattenberg as an Englishman may make it to the next world cup final.
Simon
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

Maybe, but let's face it Carroll couldn't have done any worse than Harry Kane at the Euros. And might have given England a plan B against Iceland.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not Andy Carroll's fault that someone was daft enough to pay a ridiculous fee for him, but he is always going to have to live with that. He is a good honest battering ram of a centre-forward, who unfortunately spends too much time in the treatment room, but he might well scare the living *beep* out of a few sophisticated international centre-backs when required.

Big Sam has always been quite forward thinking and not afraid to take on modern methods, but he is also very pragmatic in coping with limited resources and always got the best out of them. I don't view it as a long-term solution, but he may restore a back-to-basics attitude which hopefully will overcome the inhibited approach England suffer from in tournament finals.

To think he lost out to McClaren a decade back, the FA really need to take a long hard look at themselves.
Ian wrote:
Which fullbacks will be sorting out their passports? Any who can aim a 70 yard high pass at the penalty spot!

The boy Valencia at West Ham looks a good prospect and Michael Keane at Burnley is becoming a pretty good defender who can play a bit.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sam can change player attitude that will be a good start
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: