CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Matt Tubbs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
Warren wrote:
Can't believe some are so against a Tubbs return.

Finished as top scorer in this division, could possibly be a realistic option and I doubt we'd be able to do better if the opportunity became available.

Tubbs and McAllister, Tubbs and Barnett, Tubbs and Harrold?...

I'm not against a Tubbs return myself.
I am against this club overreaching financially to sign him though.
I would rather us be a lower half league 2 side than a league 1 side that gets shafted by the bankers.
Yes to Tubbs, but not by putting us at risk.

Spot on !

As always Paul, you are one of the sensible club fans.

If the board ask for any fan advice, you'd be the one I recommend to advise them.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maidenbower Millionaire wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:
Warren wrote:
Can't believe some are so against a Tubbs return.

Finished as top scorer in this division, could possibly be a realistic option and I doubt we'd be able to do better if the opportunity became available.

Tubbs and McAllister, Tubbs and Barnett, Tubbs and Harrold?...

I'm not against a Tubbs return myself.
I am against this club overreaching financially to sign him though.
I would rather us be a lower half league 2 side than a league 1 side that gets shafted by the bankers.
Yes to Tubbs, but not by putting us at risk.

Spot on !

As always Paul, you are one of the sensible club fans.

If the board ask for any fan advice, you'd be the one I recommend to advise them.

Just wait till I win 100million on the Euro lottery Smile
Broadfield Dave
First Team
First Team

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:
Broadfield Dave wrote:
Alun wrote:
He's moved on and so should we. Thanks for the memories but a third spell would be a mistake for both parties.

Until we can bring in players better than him, we're in no position to turn our noses up at a player of his talent.

You make it sound as if he's camped outside the ground begging for an opportunity!

On what planet are we able to bring in players better, or even half as good as him, or rather as good as he was?

The reality is that we're highly unlikely to be able to attract and secure a player with his ability let alone his wage demands.

Even if we were, we need to look forward and not back. Instead of Tubbs we should be looking for the next Tubbs who maybe playing a league or 2 below, be 10 years younger and have a point to prove.

That player would relish the chance, be hungrier, cheaper and a potential financial lifeline in a season or two if it works out.

Far too many on here need to get their heads out of their backsides grasp reality and stop clinging to the past.

You've changed your argument there. First you said it would be a mistake for us to buy him. Now you're saying he's far too good/expensive for us.

I disagree with the first one and agree with the second one so which is it?
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 31 you wouldn't expect him to be the same player as at 26, however I still think he would be a better goalscorer than we currently have at the club.

Whether we could afford it is another thing, certainly not on what he is on at Pompey, so it would need them to subsidise his wages.

I'm sure he will have offers.
Alun
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadfield Dave wrote:
Alun wrote:
Broadfield Dave wrote:
Alun wrote:
He's moved on and so should we. Thanks for the memories but a third spell would be a mistake for both parties.

Until we can bring in players better than him, we're in no position to turn our noses up at a player of his talent.

You make it sound as if he's camped outside the ground begging for an opportunity!

On what planet are we able to bring in players better, or even half as good as him, or rather as good as he was?

The reality is that we're highly unlikely to be able to attract and secure a player with his ability let alone his wage demands.

Even if we were, we need to look forward and not back. Instead of Tubbs we should be looking for the next Tubbs who maybe playing a league or 2 below, be 10 years younger and have a point to prove.

That player would relish the chance, be hungrier, cheaper and a potential financial lifeline in a season or two if it works out.

Far too many on here need to get their heads out of their backsides grasp reality and stop clinging to the past.

You've changed your argument there. First you said it would be a mistake for us to buy him. Now you're saying he's far too good/expensive for us.

I disagree with the first one and agree with the second one so which is it?

No I haven't, you've interpreted my comments in a certain way when there is no contradiction, simply enough room for you to dream up a non-existent argument.

Comment one said in my opinion, bringing him back would be a mistake. I didn't elaborate in that comment, but my reasoning is that we need to look forward and not back and his efforts at CTFC for Pompey this season were uninspiring.

I stand by that view even if money were no object, I don't think signing a 31 year old on big money (at our level) with an ever diminishing sell on value is astute business.

My second point says that the reality is that unless something has changed dramatically, we don't have the proverbial pot to *beep* in. Therefore, talk of Tubbs is pipedreams and quite ridiculous. I'm not convinced he's too good, but I know he's almost certainly too expensive.
Broadfield Dave
First Team
First Team

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, you've bundled it into one big football and money conundrum. In that case I still disagree and agree.

To suggest Tubbs coming in would be a mistake from a football perspective is just plain wrong. He was top scorer in this division last season.

To say that it would be a bad financial move, and also improbable, is correct.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you can say it would be a bad financial move without knowing the deal.

When he returned from Bournemouth I doubt we were paying his full wages. Maybe a loan could be structured where we shared the cost?

Ditto on a permanent move, he has 1.5 years left on his Pompey deal and if the figs reported were remotely accurate he would probably need some settlement if other clubs were to afford him.

I agree though that it's unlikely, I suspect MY will end up doing what's he has done pretty well so far, working his contact book.

What I don't understand is why Tomlin isn't getting a look in. It seems increasingly likely we will look to shift him on. Plus what is the story with Oyebanjo?
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo was running, doing half circuits of the pitch, before the game on Boxing Day. So he could well be near a return soon. I didn't get the chance to ask him.
We really need him back asap, and McNerney. We could just about scrape together a back four then. We'd have no cover though.
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
What I don't understand is why Tomlin isn't getting a look in.

Because he's utter *beep* Very Happy

CLearly the Harrold/Murphy partnership was working. Yates probaly favours that type of system as it brings the best out of Harrold (who to be fair is a different player to the one we had under Gregory/Saunders)

Tomlin has never been a natural goalscorer so he won't work in the Murphy role - maybe Barnard will although I've yet to see any evidence of it and also feel he's nicking a living with us

Tubbs would work better but I think our chances of getting him are limited to say the least
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: