CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |


Sports Personality...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 16179
Topics: 639

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Sports Personality...? Reply with quote

C'mon BBC that phrase is surely an oxymoron.... anyone who excels at Sport is likely to be a very focussed but extremely dull individual, a glance at previous winners of the award bears testament to that... and anyone genuinely with a personality is likely to be a controversial choice...

...but I think the BBC should give an award for anyone who lasts the course sitting in the audience at SPOTY for their ability to stay awake and their bladder-control..!

I guess at this time of year they have to find a way to use up the gaps in the schedule between endless repeats of light entertainment shows from the past,...?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 18 Feb 2018
Posts: 4964
Topics: 102
Location: Ifield

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Thad, the award is given for their sporting achievements, nothing to do with their 'personality'. After all Mr Boring himself, Steve Davis, won the award once.......

Sports Person of the Year would be a more accurate title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Last Visit: 05 Aug 2017
Posts: 4033
Topics: 228

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Murray won it tonight.

I thought the show was good.

Better than the X factor and Strictly, etc....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 18 Feb 2018
Posts: 4964
Topics: 102
Location: Ifield

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed my time whilst it was on.

Didn't watch it. Wink

Only proves earlier comments about 'personality'. Andy Murray, 2 wins in three years and not an ounce of personality.........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 16179
Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched on for The Apprentice finale and thought the sound was playing up on my telly.. only to discover that the irritating monotonous low droning noise was the winners speech from Notact Jockosnitch... rubbing salt in too, as I had spent Saturday in Worthing Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nemo
Coach
Coach


Joined: 19 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 2096
Topics: 81

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
Spot on Thad, the award is given for their sporting achievements, nothing to do with their 'personality'. After all Mr Boring himself, Steve Davis, won the award once.......

Sports Person of the Year would be a more accurate title.

I think you need to review the definition of personality
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John The Gas
Coach
Coach


Joined: 19 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 Sep 2017
Posts: 1977
Topics: 85
Location: Sunny Horsham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for Ant to jump in and defend the Leeches at the BBC.


JTG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 7740
Topics: 332

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone berating Andy Murray's personality here is an unimpeachable joy to be with and the centre of the party.

Without focussing on the personality debate, I do agree that SPOTY is focussed on achievement.

Along with Mo Farah, Murray is our greatest sports person and a worthy winner based on achievement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Last Visit: 28 Aug 2017
Posts: 546
Topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
I'm sure everyone berating Andy Murray's personality here is an unimpeachable joy to be with and the centre of the party.

Without focussing on the personality debate, I do agree that SPOTY is focussed on achievement.

Along with Mo Farah, Murray is our greatest sports person and a worthy winner based on achievement.


Nonsense.

The most impressive thing about it was playing 3 matches in 3 days so often but the opposition wasn't up to much.

USA - Young, Isner
France - Simon, Tsonga
Australia - Kokkinakis, Tomic
Belgium - Bemelmans, Goffin

Apart from France, he'd find none of those difficult and even then Simon on grass and an injury ravaged Tsonga isn't the toughest French team. Add to that the likes of Djokovic, Federer and Nadal not competing then I don't think he really deserved it.

I know the Olympics were in the same year but it's incredible to think he can win a gold medal and Britain's first grand slam in 70+ years in 2012 and not win, yet Davis Cup is enough in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 7740
Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rednose wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
I'm sure everyone berating Andy Murray's personality here is an unimpeachable joy to be with and the centre of the party.

Without focussing on the personality debate, I do agree that SPOTY is focussed on achievement.

Along with Mo Farah, Murray is our greatest sports person and a worthy winner based on achievement.


Nonsense.

The most impressive thing about it was playing 3 matches in 3 days so often but the opposition wasn't up to much.

USA - Young, Isner
France - Simon, Tsonga
Australia - Kokkinakis, Tomic
Belgium - Bemelmans, Goffin

Apart from France, he'd find none of those difficult and even then Simon on grass and an injury ravaged Tsonga isn't the toughest French team. Add to that the likes of Djokovic, Federer and Nadal not competing then I don't think he really deserved it.

I know the Olympics were in the same year but it's incredible to think he can win a gold medal and Britain's first grand slam in 70+ years in 2012 and not win, yet Davis Cup is enough in 2015.


Comments like above show how difficult it is to be appreciated as a sports star in this country. Of the near 4bn people in the world Murray went undefeated against the 10th, 11th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 48th, 80th and 109th best players. He was able to do that as he is a truly brilliant athlete himself. Don't be so complacent.

Also, the fact that Murray chose to compete in the Davies Cup when some other big names didn't as they opted for cash rather than glory show a great strength in Murray's character.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ant
Coach
Coach


Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 2931
Topics: 24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rednose wrote:
I don't think he really deserved it.

He wouldn't have been my choice either but you can hardly dispute the figures. He got around 350k votes, Sinfield got around 250k and then Jessica Ennis Hill got about 80k

So he trounced everyone and it also once again shows how people can get behind one person on the list and really give it to them. Whatever the merits of Sinfields achievements he plays a real minority sport that very few people watch. But they are fiercly loyal and backed him in huge numbers.

Were his achievements in a team greater than Mo Farah's for example.

In previous years the horse racing community got behind AP McCoy and Ryan Giggs was also heavily backed by a raft of United and Welsh fans.

It's always a good show (and has adapted well to the loss of sports rights) and this years was no different.

Personally I would have plumped for Ennis Hill (as she has some personality) and her achievements are as good as any - and I find it really surprising given his achievements that Mo Farah has never even been in the top 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Last Visit: 28 Aug 2017
Posts: 546
Topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
rednose wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
I'm sure everyone berating Andy Murray's personality here is an unimpeachable joy to be with and the centre of the party.

Without focussing on the personality debate, I do agree that SPOTY is focussed on achievement.

Along with Mo Farah, Murray is our greatest sports person and a worthy winner based on achievement.


Nonsense.

The most impressive thing about it was playing 3 matches in 3 days so often but the opposition wasn't up to much.

USA - Young, Isner
France - Simon, Tsonga
Australia - Kokkinakis, Tomic
Belgium - Bemelmans, Goffin

Apart from France, he'd find none of those difficult and even then Simon on grass and an injury ravaged Tsonga isn't the toughest French team. Add to that the likes of Djokovic, Federer and Nadal not competing then I don't think he really deserved it.

I know the Olympics were in the same year but it's incredible to think he can win a gold medal and Britain's first grand slam in 70+ years in 2012 and not win, yet Davis Cup is enough in 2015.


Comments like above show how difficult it is to be appreciated as a sports star in this country. Of the near 4bn people in the world Murray went undefeated against the 10th, 11th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 48th, 80th and 109th best players. He was able to do that as he is a truly brilliant athlete himself. Don't be so complacent.

Also, the fact that Murray chose to compete in the Davies Cup when some other big names didn't as they opted for cash rather than glory show a great strength in Murray's character.


Good Christmas day bich?

Did you get upto anything exciting besides googling tennis player world rankings?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 7740
Topics: 332

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rednose wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
rednose wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
I'm sure everyone berating Andy Murray's personality here is an unimpeachable joy to be with and the centre of the party.

Without focussing on the personality debate, I do agree that SPOTY is focussed on achievement.

Along with Mo Farah, Murray is our greatest sports person and a worthy winner based on achievement.


Nonsense.

The most impressive thing about it was playing 3 matches in 3 days so often but the opposition wasn't up to much.

USA - Young, Isner
France - Simon, Tsonga
Australia - Kokkinakis, Tomic
Belgium - Bemelmans, Goffin

Apart from France, he'd find none of those difficult and even then Simon on grass and an injury ravaged Tsonga isn't the toughest French team. Add to that the likes of Djokovic, Federer and Nadal not competing then I don't think he really deserved it.

I know the Olympics were in the same year but it's incredible to think he can win a gold medal and Britain's first grand slam in 70+ years in 2012 and not win, yet Davis Cup is enough in 2015.


Comments like above show how difficult it is to be appreciated as a sports star in this country. Of the near 4bn people in the world Murray went undefeated against the 10th, 11th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 48th, 80th and 109th best players. He was able to do that as he is a truly brilliant athlete himself. Don't be so complacent.

Also, the fact that Murray chose to compete in the Davies Cup when some other big names didn't as they opted for cash rather than glory show a great strength in Murray's character.


Good Christmas day bich?

Did you get upto anything exciting besides googling tennis player world rankings?


Same as most years, thanks.

I was entering the 'I'm ready to leave, why aren't you?' zone when I did the googling. I'm sure we've all been there.

Anything to add to the debate or are you going to play the poster rather than the post?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Last Visit: 28 Aug 2017
Posts: 546
Topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BICH - have a look at the list of nominees again, and you'll notice a trend. Most of them are world champions and have beaten the very best in their discipline to become so.

Andy Murray is a very good tennis player, but can only be judged against other tennis players. The fact that there are 4 billion living on this planet is totally irrelevant.

He hasn't won a grand slam this year (that's really what defines a tennis players career), but has won the Davis cup without having to play ANY of the top 10 players in the world - or more importantly, the top 3 who are on another level to every other professional tennis player.

His achievement in winning the Davis cup is the equivalent of Man City winning the FA cup by beating Stoke, West Brom, Norwich, Bournemouth, Mansfield and Woking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Last Visit: 28 Aug 2017
Posts: 546
Topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal view is the Anthony Crolla should have won it, and it's farcical that he wasn't even on the list.

Mo Farah would have also been a very worthy winner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum






This forum is run independently from and has no connection with the Crawley Town Football Club official site
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.


  Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit