CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Ched Evans
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marky
Coach
Coach

Topics: 57

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Ched Evans Reply with quote

Given our need for a striker, and the fact that there is a proven League One goalscorer who also happens to be a free agent floating around without a home, why shouldn't we be the ones to take a punt on him?

Obviously he has some baggage, but do the pros outweigh the cons?
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be consistent here chaps - I can remember another guy called Evans who claimed he was innocent too... and you lot telling me that everyone deserves a second chance Shocked
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of us being the most hated club in England, thanks largely due to our last Mr Evans. If we sign this one, we will come in for a whole *beep* storm of trouble. Its not worth it. And the guy hasn't played or trained for two years, bar the last couple of weeks. Is he really what we need? I'd rather we re-signed Akinde. Or Brodie.
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Please be consistent here chaps - I can remember another guy called Evans who claimed he was innocent too... and you lot telling me that everyone deserves a second chance Shocked

I hated the appointment of Evans. And my views on him as a man never ever changed. I still to this day wish we'd never appointed him.

I always think people deserve a second chance, we too Allan Tait back on.

I think what you have to bear in mind here is that Ched Evans crime was a significant number of notches further up the crime list. Given that he's never shown his remorse and is indeed still appealing his conviction I think it's better that any offer from any club is delayed until the outcome of his appeal is over.

Evans will need to accept the outcome of that appeal and move forward with his life whatever happens. That may be within football but commercial considerations may actually prevent him from doing so
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very difficult one to call really.

On the one hand the guy has served his time and in any case is appealing the conviction. On the other hand the bad PR is probably not what we need right now.

In any case I doubt we could afford him so the decision would be made for us.
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
Very difficult one to call really.

On the one hand the guy has served his time and in any case is appealing the conviction. On the other hand the bad PR is probably not what we need right now.

In any case I doubt we could afford him so the decision would be made for us.

I had a similar conversation with the wife this morning before work. The guy was found guilty and so is guilty in the eyes of the law. However, on the other side, he has always pleased his innocence before, during and after the trial. He has also done his time, his punishment. Is it right to further punish him by taking his lively hood away?

I honestly don't know the answer and I sure as hell wouldn't want to upset any women with chauvinistic sounding views that I don't actually have.

Like you though, until he has a successful or otherwise appeal, the baggage is not what we need right now.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take the view that he's served his time and should be free to pursue a career. However, employers also have the right not to employ him. I wouldn't want him at Crawley.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant wrote:
I think what you have to bear in mind here is that Ched Evans crime was a significant number of notches further up the crime list.

True enough. there is no direct comparison between the crimes, but I would also point out that SE was involved in wrongdoing at a football club which in many ways made his appointment as a football manager arguably more dubious....(?)

I am actually surprised that Sheffield United even considered having Ched Evans back, his incarceration was the catalyst to their promotion failure (made worse by being overtaken by their deadly rivals) and he had already dragged their name through the mud (along with other footballers who were involved, two of them even recorded the incident on their phone).
Mr.T.
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he wins his appeal(which is very possible)then i would have no problem whatsoever with him coming here,the biggest problem would be trying to convince him to join us.
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather sign Big John Akinde, he shags who he wants apparently.
yelsis
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 138

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Is this a necessary observation for this forum?
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is a legitimate one because there will be a number of managers and chairmen in League One and League Two weighing up the pros and cons on this. On one hand there is a very good striker as this level, on the other the negative impact in terms of PR that will hit the club.

Some club will take him on though at some level in the footballing pyramid.

Itís a very interesting debate though.

Here is a man that has been found guilty of a crime and he has served his time in jail and will continue to be on probation. The state has issued its punishment. Excluding very few trades (teacher, police officer, doctor etc) he would walk back into his chosen profession. If he was a plumber, an IT guy, worked in a chip shop or a lorry driver then he would just pick up where he left off regardless of the crime. Why does football impose this cherry-picked morality in such situations? There are many players past and present with criminal records that continued to play. Are we suggesting that FIFA, UEFA or the FA should make a list of offences which rule out a player from ever playing again?

The problem I have is where do we draw the line? Because Ched Evans is relatively high profile and with a relatively big club his case is in the spotlight. I bet if it was a professional playing for a small club in the Conference it would barely make the news. In this case the decision will be down to public opinion rather than a judicial ruling which is troubling.

I wouldnít say I feel sorry for Evans, he is a convicted rapist unless any ruling says otherwise, but it poses questions far beyond football and the right for convicted criminals to work. Iíd rather they were working than collecting state benefits.

In relation to our own football club I would not want to see Evans play for Crawley. Without discussing his ability, the negative attention there would be on the club would make staying up in League One even harder so itís a distraction we could do without.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Hi Lee,

That was an unfortunate comment.

Kind regards,

BICH.
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Hi Lee,

That was an unfortunate comment.

Kind regards,

BICH.

Whys that.?
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No in my view. Frankly I can't see anyone taking him until, or if his appeal is successful.

He and his fellow protagonists represent the worst behaviour of footballers regardless of the verdict.

Wasn't there some Brighton footballers accused of similar but managed to get off. It will maybe cause some to think twice before getting into these situations.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: