CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

The missing 1000.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: The missing 1000. Reply with quote

We have just played Walsall at home in front of 2204 supporters.
In November last season the fixture was played in front of 3296.

We have lost a 1000 fans,whatever has happened is worse then the Ebola virus sweeping West Africa.

This subject seems to have been ignored slightly.Its an absolute ticking time bomb for us,isn't it?

A third of our fan base gone.

Shocked
rubyred
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The missing 1000. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

We have lost a 1000 fans,whatever has happened is worse then the Ebola virus sweeping West Africa.

This subject seems to have been ignored slightly.Its an absolute ticking time bomb for us,isn't it?

Shocked

I think it is a mixture of quite terrible football along with changing virtually the whole team in one go. The floating 1000 found they had no affinity with what they had come to love, ie good football and recognisable players.

History has shown our fan base has only gone up when we have done well in the league, got promoted, had a good fa cup run.

The free tickets, money off, selling tickets in other places, flyers through the door ideas has never generated an increase in our fan base.
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 300

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The missing 1000. Reply with quote

rubyred wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Shocked

I think it is a mixture of quite terrible football along with changing virtually the whole team in one go. The floating 1000 found they had no affinity with what they had come to love, ie good football and recognisable players.

History has shown our fan base has only gone up when we have done well in the league, got promoted, had a good fa cup run.

The free tickets, money off, selling tickets in other places, flyers through the door ideas has never generated an increase in our fan base.

Have there ever actually been flyers through the door?
lochislair
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 129

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The missing 1000. Reply with quote

James wrote:
rubyred wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Shocked

There have. I, MickF and a number of others delivered them.

I have to say that my place as one of the missing 1000 wasn't about recognisable players- though Bully leaving was devastating- nor about the quality of football, as we were occasionally very good last season. It was far more about the way the club was being run, the invisible investor who they pretend doesn't exist despite the evidence to the contrary, the pointless politics within the fanbase, the feeling that the only time the club needed to engage with the fans was when they wanted something and that even then they resented it...I won't go on as I'm sure you're bored already. It pains me to read about poor performances and to see the gates fall and fall, but sadly I'm getting more enjoyment from watching non league this year than CTFC provided me last season or the one before.

Yet I hate myself for saying that... Sad
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The missing 1000. Reply with quote

lochislair wrote:
James wrote:
rubyred wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Shocked

I have to say that my place as one of the missing 1000 wasn't about recognisable players- though Bully leaving was devastating- nor about the quality of football, as we were occasionally very good last season. It was far more about the way the club was being run, the invisible investor who they pretend doesn't exist despite the evidence to the contrary, the pointless politics within the fanbase, the feeling that the only time the club needed to engage with the fans was when they wanted something and that even then they resented it...I won't go on as I'm sure you're bored already. It pains me to read about poor performances and to see the gates fall and fall, but sadly I'm getting more enjoyment from watching non league this year than CTFC provided me last season or the one before.

Blimey,if someone like you who has put a lot of time and effort into the club feels this way then we are really in trouble.
Thomasfrances1
Youth team
Youth team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said this on another three,but do you think the reason, why the attendance has diminished is because we aren't being 'successful' anymore.

As somebody above mentioned, cup runs, promotions and winning game after game increase interest. The fact is though, that always had to end somewhere or we'd be European champions in a few years.

Scrapping for points, literally in style and performance, won't attract the 'wandering' fan as they simply can't be bothered. Football is now an entertainment business, where a lot of fans demand instant satisfaction or they let everyone know about how disheartened they are. It's in another world, but Barcalona were booed off at half time, a few weeks ago drawing 0-0.

I also have to say, and I hope I don't offend but so many people are brainwashed by the sky, and media driven premiership agenda that fills every bit of football news we access.

What time is the football league show on again??

People are happy with their subscriptions, and their 'analysis' as they accept it as being perfect and correct. People simply don't challenge anything in their life anymore- we live in a lazy world. I'm sorry for my generalisation but this is a small insight into how I feel.

I've said it before, but I could go on all night about this- I feel like I've barely said what I wanted. I won't bore you all anymore.
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The missing 1000. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
lochislair wrote:
James wrote:
rubyred wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Shocked

Blimey,if someone like you who has put a lot of time and effort into the club feels this way then we are really in trouble.

But over the history of this and many other clubs there are always "sensitive souls" who expect a higher standard of behaviour from those owning/running the club than that in ordinary life/business, and who then find other clubs to support or things to do (and as for fanbase politics, since when have 2 fans ever agreed let alone many?). Some of us maybe have lower expectations or are just stupid and hopelessly attached to "their" club?
Also it may well be alot easier to "engage" with fans when as with us in the past you could probably name them all, as with most non league clubs! Then again Brian Finer was never very good at mixing with the riff raff, we just got on as best we could, but with no expectation of any kind words or encouragement.
And who said it was all about enjoying yourselves anyway, this is football!!
The worry for me at the moment isnt the club owners (why worry about "the invisible investor" when he seems to have proven fairly reliable over a period of years, which is as long as many "visible" ones?) not tucking me in at night or whatever, but the chasm between how our management team think the team are performing, and the views of those who have given up and also many of those still attending. And every time I read a pronouncement from Paul Groves I wonder if I was even at the same game as him? Shocked
Hopefully a good number of those missing are just voting with their feet (or with their backsides every Tuesday night when Chelsea or Arsenal etc are on TV) and will return if/when we start to produce something remotely entertaining, rather than some as Lochislair who seems to have given up completely. Accrington Stanley had 947 for their game on Tuesday night and that was with 100+ from the away team.
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing 1000???
After the success this club has had over the past few years,we are probably three times that figure down on where we should be.
If the punters wouldn't come then,then they sure as hell won't be rushing here now.
Add to that the club has forever and a day taken the loyal few for granted on so many levels,then I really am not surprised the gates have fallen even further.
Christ,if they dip much lower I may even get a call stating all is forgiven.On second thoughts,maybe not!!

I really wish I knew the answer,but none of us do.Surviving in League One is important as people talk of the generation thing.The club needs to be playing as high up the pyramid as possible.
Friends that I speak to that do still go say its hard work....many of those have 30+ years of commitment/passion,call it what you will.
Am I surprised that those with less affinity would rather spend their money elsewhere?No,not at all.
It will be hard to get them back as well,trust me.
Since I've been "away",my spare income has been put to fantastic use.I don't think I would want to change that either.
rubyred
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The missing 1000. Reply with quote

James wrote:
rubyred wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Shocked

Yes for one week around 2001.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we dish up overpriced underperforming average at best football in a non.league grounf with little regard to sth is it no wonder weve lost 1000 fans the owners dont give a **** abbout its supporters especially regulars
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The missing 1000. Reply with quote

lochislair wrote:

I'm sure you won't mind me pointing out the night about 6 weeks ago when you, me and Colin Bowman were stood together on the touch line at Burgess Hill. Three people who a couple of seasons ago were on the board of CTSA and I think I'm right in saying I am the only one who attends games now (and I have pretty much given up the aways).

The reasons are simple for me. First the football is dire and played by players who (with some exceptions) appear not to give a **** and are just here for the cash.

Second when Bruce took over he talked about openness and transparency yet only a few years later the club is apparently being financed by some anonymous figure who no-one can or will name. So much for transparency. I've lived through two administrations before where we have spent money we don't have and losing 3m a year (last accounts) means there is a chance it could happen again.

Sadly as things stand I can only see gates falling and where once we took reasonable numbers away we now struggle to fill a coach or even a minibus.
fnb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 30

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually attended Tuesday night which was my first home game since we got hammered by Brdaford. I am in no rush to return, neither is my brother and between us we have over 100 years of supporting Crawley

You are more likely to see me at an away game as the match day experience at the Checkatrade is tepid at best.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 of the 1000 are season ticket holders who got given freebies and were still counted as attending, even though they never came.

I'm pretty convinced that the attendance figures we give out now once again relate to the number of people who are actually in attendance. Either that, or most people with a ticket are attending.
lochislair
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 129

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: The missing 1000. Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
lochislair wrote:

I'm sure you won't mind me pointing out the night about 6 weeks ago when you, me and Colin Bowman were stood together on the touch line at Burgess Hill. Three people who a couple of seasons ago were on the board of CTSA and I think I'm right in saying I am the only one who attends games now (and I have pretty much given up the aways).

The reasons are simple for me. First the football is dire and played by players who (with some exceptions) appear not to give a **** and are just here for the cash.

Second when Bruce took over he talked about openness and transparency yet only a few years later the club is apparently being financed by some anonymous figure who no-one can or will name. So much for transparency. I've lived through two administrations before where we have spent money we don't have and losing 3m a year (last accounts) means there is a chance it could happen again.

Sadly as things stand I can only see gates falling and where once we took reasonable numbers away we now struggle to fill a coach or even a minibus.

Indeed. Colin actually went along to Crawley on Tuesday night. Afterwards we discussed the experience and he said, "the problem is that it's not the same club anymore." He's right. I don't think I'm particularly 'sensitive' as Mick suggested, and many years of watching Conference dross week in week out demonstrated that I'm far from a glory hunter, but I was becoming less and less enamoured with the way the club was being run and spending more and more time looking at the future with horror. I pointed out many times that the club wasn't being run in a sustainable way post Bruce, and talked about the need for fan ownership and greater supporter involvement, transparency et al- you only need to look at the CTSA website for evidence of that- but in the main the CTFC faithful are far more interested in the quality of the burger buns and whether they have quilted toilet roll in the bogs. That makes me sad, because it's a clear demonstration that history teaches us nothing. I look at the accounts, and the fact that the club is entirely reliant on someone we don't know and as far as the board are concerned doesn't exist, and it frightens me half to death.

I hope very much that I'm entirely wrong. But I can't bring myself to watch the place die a death of a thousand cuts.
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're doomed.

I have been attending matches since the late seventies and I cannot think of a time when everyone was as gloomy as they are now. For the life of me I cannot figure why.

The team is not very good, nothing unusual there. The club don't interact with ordinary fans, nothing unusual there. The fans are prone to flagging of players who try their best, nothing unusual there either.

I have ideas on how to improve the match day experience, I always have but even when I used to fork the Town Mead pitch with Maggs, Haining and Jim Green what I said was ignored. I have ideas on how to get the team to play better, never been listened too. I know ways to encourage better fan/player interaction, guess what? Never listened too.

The point is not that the club don't pay attention to me (an ordinary fan) but that they never have and I expect they never will.

In the meantime we have risen from near bottom of the the Southern League Southern Division to the giddy heights of League Two. If you told me all those years ago we would be playing as a full time professional club in the football league with crowds of over 2,000 I would have laughed in your face.

Come on, get real. We ain't doing too bad. dance

Jim Baker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: