CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

MK Dons matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley Dan wrote:
In all seriousness, we have had a tough start against 5 good sides. But if we do not pick up points against the likes of Rochdale, Crewe, Oldham, Scunny, Colchester etc.. we are in huge trouble.

The kind of teams we need to finish above if we are to play Leeds & Blackpool next year!
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
GillsMan wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
"If it was purely on performances we'd be top of the league,we'd be clear by now,almost into the championship because some of our performances have been excellent."

Now that statement is worrying.
It's reminiscent of the statements "Chemical Ali"used to make When the Iraqi army was being beaten in every area of the battlefield.

No, it was "Comical Ali" who made those statements. Chemical Ali was known more for his genocidal tendencies than hilariously inept propaganda statements.

You are correct.
It was "Comical Ali" who Thad first introduced to the forum back in the Majeed days.I do hope "Comicl Ali" isn't going to make a permanent return with hilariously inept propaganda statements this season.

It was nothing to do with Thad Laughing

I doubt he will return as the man behind that character is no longer interested in CTFC.
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the extended highlights and we certainly created several chances (3 to Tomlin who had one blocked, one headed over the bar and one well saved by the keeper), but then so did they. Only 5 or so minutes but we didnt look as desperate as some are suggesting, I thought from their comments we hadnt created anything! Shocked
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley Dan wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
How many games had we gone without a win when Barker received his marching orders?
NB I'm not suggesting anything here,far from it....just wondered what the stat was.

7/8 I believe. We played better football under Barker, but he was rightly sacked at the time. Under JG, we look un-interested and spend 90 minutes lumping it to McLeod. Its hard to watch.

We certainly had some excellent football away from home under Barker in his first season - Sheffield United, Preston and Doncaster all spring to mind. This continued at the start of last season (Wolves and Peterborough) but then dropped off quickly (Bristol C and Stevenage away were dire). We usually struggled at home under him, which is why I can understand why a lot of our fans didn't rate him.

The problem is, a lot of people who wanted him sacked are now having a go at his replacement. The phrase "be careful what you wish for" springs to mind as there is no guarantee someone else would do any better with the resources at their disposal.

Evans had success here but left the club with a lot less money than when he was here. The same happened at Boston, and almost certainly will at Rotherham. I wonder if some of his spending (particularly on wages) was OTT?
Crawley Dan
Coach
Coach

Topics: 179

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of our performances under RB, like the games you mentioned were superb. But at the same time some were woeful! Under JG, we don't play football, we just hoof it. Like you said, people only ever see home games as they can't be bothered/can't afford to go away most of the time so don't see what the ones who do go away see.

But what I will say is under RB - better football without doubt, better team spirit, better results (he has a much better win rate than JG). I do like JG, but when I got told from an ex players mouth he is 'just a shouter, and it wears off after a while' i have to think what our new crop of players think after a few games in now when they are struggling.
trev
First Team
First Team

Topics: 51

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone blames JG for the way we are playing but should not a lot of the blame be levelled at our head coach Paul Groves. He has got us playing like he had Bournemouth playing when they visited us the other season which at the time they were the worst team to visit the Broadfield that season. Once he got the sack they rocketed up the league to win promotion even Tubbs commented glad he miss that bullet. Just how much influence he has I do not know but I assume as chief coach it must be quite substantial. So the question is just who takes the blame.
Crawley Dan
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
Everyone blames JG for the way we are playing but should not a lot of the blame be levelled at our head coach Paul Groves. He has got us playing like he had Bournemouth playing when they visited us the other season which at the time they were the worst team to visit the Broadfield that season. Once he got the sack they rocketed up the league to win promotion even Tubbs commented glad he miss that bullet. Just how much influence he has I do not know but I assume as chief coach it must be quite substantial. So the question is just who takes the blame.

Well JG obviously wanted Paul Groves with him....
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridgesboy79 wrote:
Crawley Dan wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
How many games had we gone without a win when Barker received his marching orders?
NB I'm not suggesting anything here,far from it....just wondered what the stat was.

7/8 I believe. We played better football under Barker, but he was rightly sacked at the time. Under JG, we look un-interested and spend 90 minutes lumping it to McLeod. Its hard to watch.

We certainly had some excellent football away from home under Barker in his first season - Sheffield United, Preston and Doncaster all spring to mind. This continued at the start of last season (Wolves and Peterborough) but then dropped off quickly (Bristol C and Stevenage away were dire).

We had 7 points in August from 5 games last season, 15 by the end of September.

We started October with a draw and a win in the league, then went on a run of 4 loses and 3 draws before RB was shown the door. During that run of 7 games we beat Hednesford in the FA Cup.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it RB had a substantially bigger playing budget (a top 10 budget if the club were to be believed). It didn't stop him producing a team that couldn't hit a cows *beep* with a banjo (didn't we have a spell of 1 goal in 7 league games.

This season we still can't hit a cows *beep* with a banjo, but are spending a lot less money.

Neither was very entertaining and I can see gates falling further unless the standard of football improves.
Crawley Dan
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
bridgesboy79 wrote:
Crawley Dan wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

We certainly had some excellent football away from home under Barker in his first season - Sheffield United, Preston and Doncaster all spring to mind. This continued at the start of last season (Wolves and Peterborough) but then dropped off quickly (Bristol C and Stevenage away were dire).

We had 7 points in August from 5 games last season, 15 by the end of September.

We started October with a draw and a win in the league, then went on a run of 4 loses and 3 draws before RB was shown the door. During that run of 7 games we beat Hednesford in the FA Cup.

4 losses in a row and counting at the moment... 3 goals in 5, of which 1 was an OG and one was a penalty.
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley Dan wrote:
Peter wrote:

4 losses in a row and counting at the moment... 3 goals in 5, of which 1 was an OG and one was a penalty.

Only 3 in the league though, with the fourth being against a Championship side.
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
As I understand it RB had a substantially bigger playing budget (a top 10 budget if the club were to be believed). It didn't stop him producing a team that couldn't hit a cows *beep* with a banjo (didn't we have a spell of 1 goal in 7 league games.

This season we still can't hit a cows *beep* with a banjo, but are spending a lot less money.

Neither was very entertaining and I can see gates falling further unless the standard of football improves.

And now Jamie Procter is scoring, as is Jonathan Forte. Forte didn't have many opportunities with us though - Barker should have used him more IMHO.
John The Gas
Coach
Coach

Topics: 85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We miss the penalty, MK Dons break away and force corner.

We then defend the corner with all eleven Reds back against TEN opposition.

Unbelievable tactics which you wouldn't see in the park on a Sunday morning.

JTG
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
i blame the Majeeds for everything inclusing when i got soaked and it rained heavy the other week.

I also blame whoever (does anyone????) market the club and promote this club. We are supposed to be a west sussex club well you go for a drive to Selsey, Billingshurst, Partridge Green, Worthing, Faygate, Pulborough, Pease Pottage and Southwater and see how many Crawley supports you can find. In fact give yourself half a point if they even know Crawley Town FC exist and are a professional football club!

The small team from falmer village have had a head start in sussex thats without a doubt but to be sustainable over the long term the club has to do 2 VITAL things the first I have mentioned here they must grow and expand the fan base and interest.

Secondly they MUST listen to theor supporters. Its a standing joke have you kept your Palace ticket and what about that free game we were all supposed to have? Last season it might been ok for some season ticket holders for exmaple to have extra tickets to give away and those seasted might wonder what hope been seated with friends anyay and what about Billy no mates what does he benefit and even if he has mates its not like HE personally was compensated. Shortsighted and unimaginative boring output from a club that shows littel interest at times REPEAT at tiems NOT always to potential custom.

Take another example, the sma eold Chelski youth team playing in pre-season finedlies, its BORING, use some imagination insight and get a forigh team over what abou a french first team or some Scots on tour?

JG plays his part and is not the ****** that RB is and always will be. Im concerned with the shouting that is mentioned JG does and agree that will wear off etc and though I also thinj its tak ethat with pinch salt how rue can i be assured that is?

JG is doing miracles and is a genius with the limited resoirces he has. Of course lump it up to big Mac is all we can do play to his strengths. If you want a decent burger you have to look beyond the Burger kings and big macs of this world. We unortunatelyvan only afford the meals at Big Mac and unfortunately to date they haveny veen been happy meals Wink
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the football be played last season is far superior to what I have seen this year.. There is little doubt with the odd exception we had better players last year and the year before.

I accept that is in significant part down to budget . However I think the style of play ...if you can call it a style is down to the manager as is the choices of who we have signed. There are to many of the new signings in a small squad who don't look capable in this league.

It is interesting the comment quoted by past players of JG being a shouter and it wearing off in its effect after a while. I did find it strange not one player wanted to stay from last year we will never know the full story. I like JG enthusiasm and he certainly isn't passive during the game. If the just a shouter thing is true , it will wear off very quickly if we keep getting beaten. He has obviously gone for impressionable younger players or ones that new him in his hey day. He will need to show tactical acumen as the current approach isn't working and won't work. The team is trying to play by soaking up pressure and scoring of scraps . You need to be rock solid at the back and deadly in front of goal to do that and we are neither.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: