CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Albert Ebosse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Albert Ebosse Reply with quote

I was going to make a lengthy comment about this but decided to let the article speak for itself. All I will say is that it is easy to think that this is the sort of thing that can happen in a far off land in a different culture. Make no mistake, it could have happened here just as easily.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/footballer-killed-object-thrown-stands-024608583.html#w0ZG6dX

Quote:

A footballer has died after being hit in the head by an object thrown from the stands after a match, his club have announced.

Cameroonian striker Albert Ebosse, who has national caps, was fatally struck by a projectile at the end of JS Kabylie's game against USM Alger in Algeria.

He had scored a goal in the game, which his club lost 2-1.

Footage posted on YouTube shows the player on a stretcher with his head wrapped in bandages after the attack in the northern city of Tizi Ouzou.

A Facebook page dedicated to the player has been created, offering tributes and condolences to his family.

A statement published on Kabylie's website said: "The Ministry of Interior and Local Government, speaking through minister Tayeb Belaiz, has given an instruction to open an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Albert Ebosse.

"The JSK player succumbed to a head injury after being hit in the head at the end of the meeting with USM Alger."

Reacting to the news, USM Alger said in a statement: "This terrible news is saddening for football in our nation and in Cameroon and arrives like a bombshell.

"In these painful circumstances, USM Alger and its members send their deepest condolences to the family of the deceased and to JS Kabylie.

"May Albert Ebosse rest in peace."

The 24-year-old played for Coton Sport FC, Unisport Bafang and Douala AC in Cameroon, before transferring to Malaysian side Perak FA in 2012.

He joined JS Kabylie, one of Algeria's richest clubs, in July 2013. He reportedly had six international caps, mainly with Cameroon's B team.
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 300

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Albert Ebosse Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
I was going to make a lengthy comment about this but decided to let the article speak for itself. All I will say is that it is easy to think that this is the sort of thing that can happen in a far off land in a different culture. Make no mistake, it could have happened here just as easily.

Really? I can't recall the last time a solid lump of rock was thrown from the stands in a game over here.
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Albert Ebosse Reply with quote

James wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:

Really? I can't recall the last time a solid lump of rock was thrown from the stands in a game over here.

I've seen it at Brighton and Blackpool,also at Scarborough,Margate and Bognor.
It's rife.Sweet tooth or not,it's just wrong.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Albert Ebosse Reply with quote

James wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:

The article says nothing about what was thrown other than calling it a "projectile", so I assume that you have found that information elsewhere. However, coins, a mobile phone and even seats have been thrown onto the pitch nearer home. All of those are potential killers if hitting the wrong part of the anatomy at the wrong angle - particularly if hitting the eye. I have known stones to be thrown too though I'm unclear on their size.
I take your general point though about football crowd violence being less common in the UK than it once was - but to believe that people over here don't or wouldn't do that sort of thing because they are British is pretty naive.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Albert Ebosse Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:
James wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:

I've seen it at Brighton and Blackpool,also at Scarborough,Margate and Bognor.
It's rife.Sweet tooth or not,it's just wrong.

You dozy tart Smile
Savage
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years at various football grounds I have witnessed the throwing of darts, golf balls, coins, lighters, bathroom tiles, gravel and mobile phones amongst others.
All more than capable of doing serious damage
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Albert Ebosse Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
James wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:

The article says nothing about what was thrown other than calling it a "projectile", so I assume that you have found that information elsewhere. However, coins, a mobile phone and even seats have been thrown onto the pitch nearer home. All of those are potential killers if hitting the wrong part of the anatomy at the wrong angle - particularly if hitting the eye. I have known stones to be thrown too though I'm unclear on their size.
I take your general point though about football crowd violence being less common in the UK than it once was - but to believe that people over here don't or wouldn't do that sort of thing because they are British is pretty naive.

Yes it was a rock:

http://sports.nationalpost.com.....s-own-fan/

I'm not denying there are some wallies out there, but I took slight objection to the judgement that it:

"...could have happened here just as easily..."

Bit too sensationalist for my liking. Oh, and statistically wrong.
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage wrote:
Over the years at various football grounds I have witnessed the throwing of darts, golf balls, coins, lighters, bathroom tiles, gravel and mobile phones amongst others.
All more than capable of doing serious damage

Oh will Savage ever stop recounting those stories of when his former youth soccer manager was desperate to get him off the team...
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Albert Ebosse Reply with quote

James wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:
James wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:

Yes it was a rock:

http://sports.nationalpost.com.....s-own-fan/

I'm not denying there are some wallies out there, but I took slight objection to the judgement that it:

"...could have happened here just as easily..."

Bit too sensationalist for my liking. Oh, and statistically wrong.

Well the exact statistics would be difficult to evaluate as it would be necessary to compare stuff like population sizes, the sizes of attendances at football matches and require a large amount of other number crunching. You may well be right if you are just talking numbers - or you may be wrong. I've no intention of attempting to collate statistics from an indeterminate number of countries of indeterminate cultures from an indeterminate time period. My statement was more about the fact that other objects thrown (within the UK) could just as easily have killed a player. Bear in mind that when I made that statement, I was unaware of what exactly was thrown. I do accept that a rock is more likely to kill than a phone. It might have been a good idea to include your link in your original response. Come on now, I know it wasn't on the pitch but even the Crawley supporters' coach has had windows broken by objects. That could have been fatal in certain circumstances depending on the nature of the objects and where the glass went.

So, leaving the statistical stuff aside, could you please state what precisely it was that you "took slight objection to"? I'm pretty amazed. I felt that I had re-posted a news item that was pretty non-controversial yet I still find an objection. Bizarre or what?
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe I'm biting, but hey ho.

Contradition 1:
You said:

Quote:
I've no intention of attempting to collate statistics from an indeterminate number of countries of indeterminate cultures from an indeterminate time period.

... yet in your initial post, you state

Quote:
Make no mistake, it could have happened here just as easily.

So you're not willing to go into statistics yet you're making a firm judgement (that can only be backed up by statistics) that it is just as likely to happen here. Hmmm...

Contradition 2:
Quote:
I know it wasn't on the pitch but even the Crawley supporters' coach has had windows broken by objects. That could have been fatal in certain circumstances depending on the nature of the objects and where the glass went.

What's this got to do with anything? You were talking about players being hit by objects inside football grounds. If you're going down this route why stop there... people get hit by bikes and cars and buses. Should I be writing to the Transport Minister about this stuff?

Quote:
Could you please state what precisely it was that you "took slight objection to"? I'm pretty amazed. I felt that I had re-posted a news item that was pretty non-controversial yet I still find an objection.

Because it's a nothing thread, liike so many others. What exactly are we supposed to do with your assumption that "it could have happened here just as easily"?

Even if that were true (which it isn't) what is your call to action? Are you saying supporters should be banned from attending matches? Should players be enclosed in mesh fencing? Or perhaps they could wear helmets?

It's like one of those horrendous preachings you catch a bit of on the News where the Archbishop of Canterbury is lecturing and asking us to 'have a think' about social matters. Why? This will never affect me - I'm not a professional footballer and I don't throw stuff from terraces... and I'm willing to bet everyone else on the forum is the same.

The worst thing I ever threw in the vicinity of a football ground was a punch at Rocket at Canvey Island (missed) and the leftovers of bacon sandwich at Margate (also missed, and probably also aimed at Rocket).

But back to the original point, it could not have happened here just as easily.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call to action?
Preaching?

This is getting too silly for words.
All you had to do was ignore my OP instead of taking it personally.
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
Call to action?
Preaching?

Just tell me what the point of the original post was and I'll sleep easier tonight. Thanks.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:
Call to action?
Preaching?

Just tell me what the point of the original post was and I'll sleep easier tonight. Thanks.

You better take a few mogadon then.
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I suspected...

Wink
Astral Voyager
Coach
Coach

Topics: 111

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the Rocket debacle but heard the aftermath on the phone

My greatest memories of you Taffstar are attempting (possibly)

To breakdance under a table in a pokey Brighton club banana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: