CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Bradford City matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, 2 points per game is 92 points at the end of the season Smile
reigatered
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After only three league games its perhaps a little too soon to be throwing in any towels, but I fear that warning flags are fluttering in the breeze over the stadium.

It was the manner of the comprehensive defeat that troubled me. Bradford are a good team, but most of them are in this league. They are nearly always big and strong and organised and I just see our midfield being unable to cope with it all given the current formation. We have no real substance there and too many lightweight inexperienced operators who are unlikely to cut it. The bench is very light too. Simpson will be straight back in when he returns, but he is no match winner, just competent.

Still lets remain positive, the team often perform better when playing away so fingers crossed for at least a better performance on Saturday.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reigatered wrote:

Still lets remain positive, the team often perform better when playing away so fingers crossed for at least a better performance on Saturday.

I think that's part of the problem. Anything that the team has usually done is voided and irrelevant - because it is a totally different team bar two.
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on holiday. Add one to a truly disturbing crowd when I'm back..

Anyone who watched the Ipswich and Swindon games and came back for the Bradford game deserves a huge hand (or a trip to the sanatorium).

The little people we have signed are going to be out muscled in League 1.

Jim Baker
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Baker wrote:
I'm on holiday. Add one to a truly disturbing crowd when I'm back..

Anyone who watched the Ipswich and Swindon games and came back for the Bradford game deserves a huge hand (or a trip to the sanatorium).

The little people we have signed are going to be out muscled in League 1.

Jim Baker

Which is why playing direct football is not useful for us!
trev
First Team
First Team

Topics: 51

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I sat there and became very bored with just big clearances from the back with no one getting on the end of them, I can’t remember us winning one long clearance header. People on here talk about the mid field what I ask did we have anyone playing mid field as they all seemed to be running around like headless chicken.

Still I suppose if you shop for players in the bargain basement this is the quality you get. Having bought a season ticket I wonder if I can keep attending if the entertainment value is like last night’s performance. I don’t expect them to win every game but I do expect them to compete and thereby give the supporters some entertainment.
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Caveman wrote:
Like many, I'm feeling totally disconnected. I never bother with pre-season, so turned up last Tuesday and it was effectively reds v blues. I didn't know any of them except Walsh and former loanee Edwards. It was a rubbish match and then Saturday wasn't a great deal better. Two good results, but hard work watching it, especially without any real bond with the vast majority of the players.

I missed last night as I had work. In previous seasons that would have frustrated me, regardless of the result of the match I was forced to miss. Not last night. After the Ipswich and Swindon matches, I was glad to miss last night and reading the posts it looks like I've missed another dreadful game.

People won't pay good money when it is genuinely so boring.

Sadly, like a few others are suggesting, I agree that this is looking like the beginning of our slide back towards where we came from. The crowds are a joke and I can't see that improving.

Back to last night's match, why didn't Billy Clarke play? He did go to Bradford didn't he? I lost track of all the comings and goings!!

Can agree about Saturday and Tuesday as very poor but last Tuesday by consensus from some extremely critical people I spoke to was that it was a really exciting game and we worked our socks off to get a result even if it wasnt pretty at times? And judging from the crowd participation they thought so as well (definitely more "participation" in the East Stand than in previous seasons, ever for fist hour last night).
I know it is an old chestnut from me but I watched the second half of Burnley v Chelsea and as an indication that even the top level can be tedious that was one - paint dry stuff. And yes I know Chelsea were good first half but many top level games are (expensive) boring stuff so it cannot just be that?
TV football is a killer for lower level, it just promotes the glamour at the top which we can never hope to match with our live experience at the lower levels without the huge sums higher up.
Also we go on about "the club" do not do enough, but it is also our club (and do we help by using REDZ bar with all its faults rather than the Half Moon or Downsman as a small example).
I personally hate the term "fan engagement" as promoted by R Low but however cheesy some of it was, they did try, and alot of it wasnt costly whereas we are very much paring down to the bare minimum now, although there are the CEO surgeries to air your gripes?
Another minor annoyance which has often been an issue is the fixture board outside on a very busy road, all day Sunday it was displaying the next match as Swindon, when we have another game only 2 days away!
Not sure where I am going with this, just trying to talk through the depression of last night as an overall experience.
Sad
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, if you removed references to early season in this forum it'd look like we were in April and about to be relegated.

We're 3 games into the league season. 2 wins out of 3 isn't bad.

The performance was poor last night, but I thought we matched them in the first half and responded well when 1-0 down. It was only when we were 2-1 down we started to fall apart.

It's early days yet.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night wasn’t good but let’s get some perspective. The last two games we played two of the teams that will be up there come the end of the season and got three points. I would have taken that. And then not to mention a good away win on the opening day.

It’s all very well people saying we should replace what we’ve got or shouldn’t have let certain players go but the reality is that we’ve recruited what we’ve got because we have no money. This is it. We are Crawley Town and we are playing in the third tier. We have a non-league set up but we’re competing. I’m not being an apologist in that we should expect more but we should be proud of what we do have. Gregory is working with on a shoestring budget and if we stay up it will be a brilliant achievement.

I think our defence will keep us up though. In spite of conceding three goals yesterday as a unit it did really well but was offered no protection from midfield. We desperately need more in the middle and need Simpson back. Smith spends most of his time shouting at others without concentrating on his own game and Tomlin just looks lost.

I thought the best outlets yesterday were Edwards, Dickson and Oyabanjo. At least Gregory has admitted his mistakes but taking off Edwards was a very strange one as was pushing back Dickson to full back after he was getting a lot of good balls over.

There’s a lot of work to do, but don’t panic just yet. We’ve had a very tough run of fixtures and this is ongoing so if we can get anything from the next two games it will be a result then we can push on. And we’re seventh.

Jenson - 7 - No chance with any of the goals and a solid as ever

Oyebanjo - 8 - Easy to see why he was League Two’s best right back. Very strong and quick

Bradley - 6 - Solid without being spectacular

Walsh - 7 - Did as well as he could without any protection

Leacock - 7 - He was run ragged but again did his best in the situation

Smith - 5 - Not sure what his role is. Not an enforcer, offers little going forward

Bawling - 6 - Can’t fault his enthusiasm but very little quality

Dickson - 7 - He was really troubling their right side until he was put back to full back

Edwards - 7 - Very strange that he came off as he was doing ok

Tomlin - 5 - Lost at League One level and panics

McLeod - 6 - Good work rate but never had an opportunity due to zero service

Henderson - 5 - His impact was virtually zero

Banya - 4 - Hardley got a touch. Looks lightweight
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex BH wrote:
Honestly, if you removed references to early season in this forum it'd look like we were in April and about to be relegated.

We're 3 games into the league season. 2 wins out of 3 isn't bad.

The performance was poor last night, but I thought we matched them in the first half and responded well when 1-0 down. It was only when we were 2-1 down we started to fall apart.

It's early days yet.

Agreed it is early and panic can be postponed but the manner of the last two performances is the worry with an alarming reliance on long ball to Izale McCleod who is not happy with that "service"(he didnt win one single header last night from at least 50 lump ups), and now JG is saying we were suffering the effects of three hard games, as if we are the only ones who have played them! I thought he was telling us last week how fit we were? Maybe the Bournemouth (and Matt Tubbs) comments regarding our new 1st team coach are coming to fruition?
We competed in the first half but largely in who could kick the long ball the furthest, they seemed to come out second half with a determination to play more football on the ground, we took off the one who was taking them on in the first half. And over two games our shots ratio compared with the opposition is a good indicator of relative attacking intent? And we still have nobody willing or able to shoot from outside the box (not yet anyway).
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:

Smith - 5 - Not sure what his role is. Not an enforcer, offers little going forward

Can't disagree with most of your rating BICH but I think you've given Smith at least four marks too many Very Happy

People keep harking back to last season and the players we had then - well let me remind people that at times last season we were worse than ordinary - under both Gregory and Barker.

We offered contracts to four players at the end of the season.

Proctor was replaced by McLeod. Early days but I think we might have got a better deal

Sadler was replaced by Dickson/Bradley. I think we might have slightly weakened our defence but have been pleasently surprised by both

Jones was replaced by Edwards? Well we might be ok there

Bulman was replaced by Smith. No contest. Stevenage's best player last season. Well no wonder they were *beep* given by what we've seen in competitive games and PSFs. Whatever we are paying him is five times too much

Other players - Kyle replaced by Leacock. Quite happy with that

Larne replaces Connolly - happy with that

Drury replaced by ???????

So that's where our problem lies. We've not replaced Bully or Drury with anything like the same quality but the rest is either better or at least the same
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley001 wrote:
I wonder whether the playing style is to do with the players not knowing each others style yet.

The best example was during the 2nd half when a lovely through ball was slotted between the defenders for our two forward players to run on to. Unfortunately they both left it to each other and we all watched the ball run out for a goal kick.

I seem to recall this happened twice in a similar fashion (one may have gone for a throw-in, I can't remember as I was comatose by then.)
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree with that assesment

Leacock has been ok - but no KM
Henderson - not great and couldnt lace Drurry boots
Smith - poor
Mcleod - OK but Proctor was a better all round player
Dickinson - has been reasonable playing out of position
Edwards - has done ok but not in Adams or even Jones league.
Bradley - done ok out of position

Tomlin - very poor
Young - worse than poor
Balding - works hard to his credit but not a lot of technique
Oconnor - same as Balding

Harold - 2 months wages and not a single game - similar to hsi time at Rovers

Jensen - our best signing

Last edited by Crawley69 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrew
First Team
First Team

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
Henderson - 2 months wages and not a single game - similar to hsi time at Rovers

Do you mean Matt Harold ?
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
Henderson - 2 months wages and not a single game - similar to hsi time at Rovers

Do you mean Matt Harold ?

Don't confuse him Andrew, he still thinks we have a Dickinson playing for us. Shocked
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: