CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Bradford City matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just gone quarter to 6 and I'm sitting in the van going to work.I'm still in shock from last night's match but not sure if I'm angry about it or just disappointed.
Having just read Armchairs post has brought home a reality that we must all share.Is this the start of the decline and inevitable slide back to non league. I'm begining to realise the thought has always been there,hidden away in the back of my mind suppressed and unchallenged because I didn'tt want to think about it.I can't be alone in this thought.We must all be wondering the same thing,is this the beginning of the end as a football league club?
The dismantling of well known and popular players must have had an affect.I think the club knew this when they started the meet your new heroes campaigne a few weeks back.We lost some decent and popular players and as a result fans lost their attachment to the team.We may have had little option but to let them go,it was a medicene we had to swallow,trouble is,medicine like that needs sugar in it to sweeten it up or it leaves a nasty taste.
The club needs support.We won't be getting it from the people of West Sussex.
The club were hoping the county would take an interest but that was never going to happen,not in a million years.We all know how they feel about our town.
Talking of our town,why have they deserted us.Is it to expensive?Will we always be non league in their eyes and forever irrelevant to their thoughts.
Let's hope this dark mood in my mind clears and JG can show me the light .
Alun
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
Some post-match reaction:

JG talking to BBC Surrey - https://audioboo.fm/boos/2407531
Bobson Bawling talking to BBC Surrey - https://audioboo.fm/boos/2407524
JG interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kuf20vy_fg
Bobson Bawling interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxUo74YjkkE

JG reckons he was down last nightbbut hoped by this morning he'd feel more upbeat.

I for one feel just as fed up as last night. Utter tosh.
bandy1954
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 66

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very disappointing. After a great start, was really expecting to take another 3 points tonight Evil or Very Mad
fnb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 30

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
It's just gone quarter to 6 and I'm sitting in the van going to work.I'm still in shock from last night's match but not sure if I'm angry about it or just disappointed.
Having just read Armchairs post has brought home a reality that we must all share.Is this the start of the decline and inevitable slide back to non league. I'm begining to realise the thought has always been there,hidden away in the back of my mind suppressed and unchallenged because I didn'tt want to think about it.I can't be alone in this thought.We must all be wondering the same thing,is this the beginning of the end as a football league club?
The dismantling of well known and popular players must have had an affect.I think the club knew this when they started the meet your new heroes campaigne a few weeks back.We lost some decent and popular players and as a result fans lost their attachment to the team.We may have had little option but to let them go,it was a medicene we had to swallow,trouble is,medicine like that needs sugar in it to sweeten it up or it leaves a nasty taste.
The club were hoping the county would take an interest but that was never going to happen,not in a million years.We all know how they feel about our town.
Talking of our town,why have they deserted us.Is it to expensive?Will we always be non league in their eyes and forever irrelevant to their thoughts.

Superb posting Lee. The last few years have been a dream for long-term fans who watched DR Martens foorball for years with-out seeing much in the way of success.
The promotion to the Confrenece and the cup runs then onto League footbal was proper Boys Own stuff.
We all are living the dream but pre-season my brother & I both thought we would struggle after seeing the exit of most of last years team and the standard of the replacements.
Feeling detached from the club? Like you Lee the detachment started when the Fat Fraudster took charge and my feeling of belonging is getting more distant each season.
One big mistake the club made last season was not meeting Bulmans demands for a new contract, him and Torres were the two players the supporters and the kids could relate to.
Meet your new heroes campaign, I'd rather not thanks.
Any-way onwards and upwards, lets hope last night was a blip, but I dont' think it will prove to be so.
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer some points in this thread.

We haven't had a great start we have got some results but the team performence has been dreadful even when we have won.

Regarding crowds ..two points reality is people are not daft when the club changes the entire team they look at who is coming in and despite people on here refusing to accept it it's clear we're brining in largely inferior players.

Like it or not football is entertainment people turn up to games expecting to be entertained they come to the fist three home games and will have been shocked. / bored. They speak to friends who have an interest at work / home and say it was rubbish football and so it goes on. I have a mate at work who attends 5 or 6 games a year and I talk football with. Rightly or wrongly he is fully aware the football this year has been terrible to watch.

Crowds will pick up a little come Sept and we will still average over 3000 in the shake up but unless Gregory has an alteratiive football philosophy serving up what we are getting will kill the club.

Even Steve Hollis suggested he was bored at half time and he is paid to sit through the game. It's the worst football I have ever seen.
guildford roader
First Team
First Team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing how JG responds tactically. His current formation and approach will not work up against opposing league one midfields. He is going to have to have 3 in central midfield, perhaps with Gwion as the floating winger and 2 up front. Alternatively, have Izale up front on his own with a 3 man central midfield and Gwion and Dickson out wide. The young lads are going to have to be versatile as I can't see us getting more players through the door - I thought Bobson performed decently. 44 points or so, to go and 43 games to go. Early days and I think with the turnover we had we expected this - it's just how quickly we learn and adapt
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The match report on our website says that "the hosts matched the visitors for long spells". Can someone remind me when this happened last night as I don't remember it?

I am actually looking forward to Sheffield United away. I studied in Sheffield and used to go to Bramall Lane in the late 1990s and they had a terrible record when I saw them. They won't welcome me back on Saturday then...
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Clubs at our level rely on supporter engagement, and many have partial supporter ownership. Unfortunately at Crawley it would appear the owners have no interest in going down that path, so supporters are simply paying customers on the day.

In fact despite talk of transparency etc when Bruce was around, the main financier is allegedly not a director or shareholder and his identity not known

Unfortunately since the days of the Dulys, then the Majeeds, then the current owners we have lived beyond our means. The cup run bought us some breathing space and cashflow, as did the sale of Tubbs, Barnett etc. However the more recent accounts at companies house are not pretty, hence the reductions in budgets etc.

Sadly football at lower leagues is in a mess, with many clubs living hand to mouth. Hereford is the latest example - just about to be closed down. The top clubs cream off most of the money and the rest live on scraps. No wonder England were out of the World Cup before some teams had even played their second game.
Crawley001
Youth team
Youth team

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether the playing style is to do with the players not knowing each others style yet. We have a number of new players, and they may still be getting used to how each other plays, and what runs they make etc. This may be a reason for poor passes and why they are currently resorting to long balls. Hopefully as they get to know each other better, the standard will improve.

If we'd been offered 6 points from those 3 matches, I think anyone on here would have taken that, so it's been a good start results wise especially given the number of changes (most expected it would be a couple of months before we started gelling).
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

A risk of returning to non-league? It's certainly there but there are many teams who have come out of non-league who have established themselves over a period of time e.g. Accrington, Wycombe, Yeovil and Morecambe. Accrington and Morecambe get smaller crowds than us.

The most likely scenario in future is that we establish ourselves in League 2 IMHO as there are a number of other clubs at that level of a similar size,
Captain Caveman
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many, I'm feeling totally disconnected. I never bother with pre-season, so turned up last Tuesday and it was effectively reds v blues. I didn't know any of them except Walsh and former loanee Edwards. It was a rubbish match and then Saturday wasn't a great deal better. Two good results, but hard work watching it, especially without any real bond with the vast majority of the players.

I missed last night as I had work. In previous seasons that would have frustrated me, regardless of the result of the match I was forced to miss. Not last night. After the Ipswich and Swindon matches, I was glad to miss last night and reading the posts it looks like I've missed another dreadful game.

People won't pay good money when it is genuinely so boring.

Sadly, like a few others are suggesting, I agree that this is looking like the beginning of our slide back towards where we came from. The crowds are a joke and I can't see that improving.

Back to last night's match, why didn't Billy Clarke play? He did go to Bradford didn't he? I lost track of all the comings and goings!!
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarke is current out injured.
GillsMan
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:
I was slated a little for my comments regarding the low crowd against Swindon.Im thick skinned,I'll live.
I feel compelled to raise the issue again tonight.
People can make excuses about August traditionally being poor for crowds,and I agree......but didn't we average about 3500 last year?
I know figures can be swayed over a season due to differing away followings,but after two games we have had about 5000 through the turnstiles.
My basic mathematical skills suggest we are 1000 down (per game) on average.
Any particular reason for this?
Hopefully it won't be suggested that they are all in Spain,because they're not.

Your point about the low attendances was valid. What you got slated for was for suggesting that we might as well throw the towel in.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, Red & Red wrote:
it's a miracle we didn't lose by more goalsy

I like that word.

Crawley001 wrote:
If we'd been offered 6 points from those 3 matches, I think anyone on here would have taken that, so it's been a good start results wise especially given the number of changes (most expected it would be a couple of months before we started gelling).

Let's keep it in perspective. 7th in the league and an average of 2 points per game. And two clean sheets out of three.

It is not a disaster yet, and I'm sure JG isn't sat on his backside doing nothing during the week.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

I don't see either a slide back to non-league or relegation as inevitable. They are certainly possibilities but there is time to take corrective action. As you rightly say though, the issue is attendances and as a result, funding. This season was always destined to be a struggle but it must be realised that two of the three games we have played are against likely promotion candidates - and even the other one was against a club still smarting from relegation. Swindon and Bradford will give most teams in this division a difficult time. JG has been around for a while and getting a couple of reasonable loans is well within his ability IMO. Yes we will struggle - but I think four or more other teams will struggle more.
Things can look darker at 6 in the morning though Smile .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: