CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Swindon Town matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ukredz
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from Smith we lack strength in midfield. That will be exposed by powerful sides.

But Jenson is very impressive, apart from a few dodgy clearences, defence looks solid, McLeod worked really hard.

Good win
Mr Middle
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've herd and read, this seems a great result.

The positives from this are 2 wins out of 2, not conceding a goal, and this from a team of 9 new player still gelling together (starting line up), this can only grow from strength to strength.

Yes the gate was low but like others have said families are on holidays. with any success the crowds will grow. if we keep winning the crowds will improve! were 2 games into 46! another 44 1-0 wins will do very nicely!

Im looking forward to Saturday were i will see this new look team for the first time hopefully by then its 3 wins from 3.
oldcodger
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought we were fortunate to get the three points. Swindon looked a lot better going forward and the "Beast" kept us in the game.

We gave the ball away far too much in midfield, however the defense got stuck in and played well.

Definite penalty, but a little harsh the sending off.

Swindon I think will do well on that performance and we will need to up a game if we ant to continue squeaking in three points.

Agree crowd disappointing for first home league game but can understand the reasons already quoted
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GillsMan wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

Agreed it takes time to grow a fan base etc
Would you agree that it takes even longer when that fan base is in fact declining?
I wonder what the crowd would have been had we been slaughtered up at Barnsley.

The crowds are declining yes, and that's disappointing, but in a town dominated by Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton and crystal palace fans it will take a long time to improve the crowds, that's the sad truth. But Crawley are establishing themselves well as a league club and that bodes well for the future. The players are all on sustainable contracts with a sensible wage cap in place so I think the club will be around and in the football league for long enough for the youngsters to start taking an interest in the club.

Indeed it will take time but it really should be a bit better than it currently is.The past four years have been great(so I've been told anyway!)
Was there a Ctfc type pullout with fixture list etc,free in one of the locals as of previous seasons.Normally one showing new players etc.

On a side note,to think one or two questioned the signing of Jenson.
How silly!!
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word that game was dreadful. boring to watch and frankly how Swindon didn't win it will remain a mystery.

They were outplaying us with 10 men. The back five are decent and they are getting a hell a lot of defending practice. McLeod is doing a stint.

The two central midfield players today were passengers both in attack and defence.

I will say now we will be relegated unless we sign a couple of quality midfield operators.

Our whole approach is to just boot the ball form the back to the front, I don't know whether it's because Gregory realises we are crap in the middle off the park or that's the tactics for the season.

We couldn't keep the ball against 10 men not that we really tried to.

You can talk,about crowds all you want but you can't expect people to pay to watch that rubbish.

Without the keeper who made a string of saves and set up our two best chances with long clearances they would have been out of site.
srn151161
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great 3 points against a team that will be challenging for the play offs...We are missing Josh Simpson but on the whole pleased with our start...Our luck will run out I am sure then we will see how good we are at breaking down teams that park the bus..

Looking forward to seeing Billy Clarke back on Tuesday...Him and Izle would of been a great pair..!!
Crawley001
Youth team
Youth team

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the game, thought it was a good win.

First half Crawley looked like a team that have only been playing together for a few weeks, with many misplaced passes. Not much else to say, was very drab. As others have said, midfield was overrun and I thought 5 in midfield would have helped. Although one positive is that whenever the ball was lost, the players were determined to win it back as soon as possible. Tomlin should have done better when through on goal and ended up being booked for diving.

Second half, Swindon came out well and had two great chances with Jensen making top saves. I would say he won us the match with those and a quick kick putting McLeod through on goal which led to the penalty. Think we had just as many clear chances as Swindon did, although less in total, but our defence ensured many shots were blocked (hence the number of corners conceded).

Thought Banya looked quality when he came on, always looking for the ball and made some very good runs with the ball, as well as always seeming to find a player when passing. He must have created a number of opportunities for us in that second period. Sign him up JG! Bawling was also enthusiastic when he came on and worked hard to win the ball back and ensure we closed out the game.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
In a word that game was dreadful. boring to watch and frankly how Swindon didn't win it will remain a mystery.

They were outplaying us with 10 men. The back five are decent and they are getting a hell a lot of defending practice. McLeod is doing a stint.

The two central midfield players today were passengers both in attack and defence.

I will say now we will be relegated unless we sign a couple of quality midfield operators.

Our whole approach is to just boot the ball form the back to the front, I don't know whether it's because Gregory realises we are crap in the middle off the park or that's the tactics for the season.

You can talk,about crowds all you want but you can't expect people to pay to watch that rubbish.

Without the keeper who made a string of saves and set up our two best chances with long clearances they would have been out of site.

Boring to watch? Which game were you at?

No positives from that game whatsoever...other than a 100% in all competitions, yet to concede a goal, great goalkeeping, a really good defence, a really good striker and three more points closer to safety.

Get a grip. You must've been on suicide watch during the points deduction era.
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:

sleepy2
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 games, 3 wins, 3 clean sheets. Can't really complain about that.

We rode our luck early on and on another day Swindon might have been 3-0 up after 30 mins. However we came into it just before h/t forcing a good save from the keeper and then Tomlin failing to get a shot in after a good run and eventually falling over.

Second half much better, great clearance by Jensen and the pen and red card were both deserved. Edwards also hit the bar and we saw it out in the end.

Why do we need to have all 11 players in our box when defending corners? When the ball gets hacked clear it went straight to them and a were back under pressure again.

The defensive hint looked really solid, however the midfield weak and didn't tackle (really missed Bulman). I would really like to see us bring another forward in as if McLeod doesn't score I suspect we will struggle.

Good start though and I would have settled for that.
AllRed63
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:

Well we're all sad you won't be with us in the future - thank you so much for your support over the years - hope you find a new club soon! Bye!!
Michael
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:

My god you really are a male part

Shocked Shocked
Andrew
First Team
First Team

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:

sleepy2

The only "Against 0" in the division.

Win ugly. Don't care Laughing
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was one of those games that we will often wonder how we won it. But I don't care. Three wins, three clean sheets and a great start,

And even though the game was a bit one sided at times it did show where we are strong and it did provide decent entertainment.

From our seat in the disabled area of the west stand the penalty looked close to inside the box but might well have been outside. And I wasn't sure the other defender closing him down wouldn't have stopped it. So I can understand why Swindon might feel hard done by.

defending from set pieces was really poor at times, but I like our unit at the back. Midfield is a worry, Smith is supposed to add bite isn't he? Thought he was really poor. And Tomlinson looks some way away from being a league one player

But overall very happy
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key moments in the game were when Jensen made a great save and then moments later put McLeod through on goal with a great drop kick from which we won and scored a penalty and they went down to 10. Once they were down to 10 men we looked quite comfortable and could and should of scored a second.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: