The writing is on the.. er.. paper
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

#1: The writing is on the.. er.. paper Author: thad PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:20 am
    —
Back in the day there was a general dim view taken by the football authorities in their approach to what was known as "touchline coaching"...

..since then they have introduced technical areas for managers and players run over there to hydrate themselves in the blistering February heat... and now the trend seems to be a handwritten note to be distributed around the field of play...

..I can't help feeling that we are on the road to headsets..(?) Rolling Eyes

#2: Re: The writing is on the.. er.. paper Author: Paulc222 PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:32 pm
    —
thad wrote:
Back in the day there was a general dim view taken by the football authorities in their approach to what was known as "touchline coaching"...

..since then they have introduced technical areas for managers and players run over there to hydrate themselves in the blistering February heat... and now the trend seems to be a handwritten note to be distributed around the field of play...

..I can't help feeling that we are on the road to headsets..(?) Rolling Eyes

The flaw in your logic is assuming that players can read.

#3:  Author: Phil TLocation: Ifield PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:47 pm
    —
A colleague at work postulates that the average football player is not unintelligent, but uneducated......

#4:  Author: nemo PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 am
    —
Phil T wrote:
A colleague at work postulates that the average football player is not unintelligent, but uneducated......

They should have intelligence based around a good footballing brain and spacial awareness...oh and also be able to sniff out a good shag at 250 metres! Laughing

#5:  Author: Sons FC PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:25 am
    —
Phil T wrote:

I don't think it is uneducated, rather than poorly educated.

It happens at a young age. Even at under 11 level boys are being asked to choose between school and football by the clubs when they take them into the academies. Which is fine for those who g on to become a professional footballer, not so good for the other 99.9%.

#6:  Author: nemo PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:31 am
    —
Sons FC wrote:
Phil T wrote:

It happens at a young age. Even at under 11 level boys are being asked to choose between school and football by the clubs when they take them into the academies. Which is fine for those who g on to become a professional footballer, not so good for the other 99.9%.

Depends on the Academy - some provide a pretty good standard of education

#7:  Author: Phil TLocation: Ifield PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:23 pm
    —
nemo wrote:
Sons FC wrote:
Phil T wrote:

Not disputed, but it depends on the priorities of the youths - ie do they put the academic effort in?

#8:  Author: nemo PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm
    —
Phil T wrote:
nemo wrote:
Sons FC wrote:
Phil T wrote:

Not disputed, but it depends on the priorities of the youths - ie do they put the academic effort in?

Largely down to how seriously the academy take formal education - good practice comes from the academy - there are ways of motivating students to put the work in

#9:  Author: Paulc222 PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:30 pm
    —
Sorry, Thad. My tongue-in-cheek humour appears to have hijacked the thread. I didn't intend that to happen.

#10:  Author: nemo PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:53 pm
    —
Paulc222 wrote:
Sorry, Thad. My tongue-in-cheek humour appears to have hijacked the thread. I didn't intend that to happen.

Nope just given it some legs Laughing

#11:  Author: thad PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:16 pm
    —
nemo wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:

And there is more than a whiff of truth in it... insofar as how thick does any professional have to be in order that their boss has to slip them notes while they are in the middle of executing the trade that they have spent years developing their skills in... and they are well rewarded for being part of..?

dontknow

IMHO Players are actually being undermined and should pretend to wipe their arses with any note. If you think about it, it tangibly demonstrates that the coaching staff have not prepared the team properly in the first bloody place...!

C'mon, it is just another extension of the current trend for touchline tantrums and the overstated cult of the manager, playing to the galley and all for show... with nil impact on the actual play.

#12:  Author: IanLocation: The Parish of Rusper PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:28 pm
    —
thad wrote:
nemo wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:

And there is more than a whiff of truth in it... insofar as how thick does any professional have to be in order that their boss has to slip them notes while they are in the middle of executing the trade that they have spent years developing their skills in... and they are well rewarded for being part of..?

dontknow

IMHO Players are actually being undermined and should pretend to wipe their arses with any note. If you think about it, it tangibly demonstrates that the coaching staff have not prepared the team properly in the first bloody place...!

C'mon, it is just another extension of the current trend for touchline tantrums and the overstated cult of the manager, playing to the galley and all for show... with nil impact on the actual play.

I tend to disagree Thad. If your opponent makes a move that wasn't considered a possibility, then you wouldn't have prepared for that move and need to make some quick changes to either prevent it doing any damage or to take advantage if you see a weakness.

Imagine George Graham's Arsenal stopped using the offside trap in 1988, for example, and actually tried to attack a team! Who would have prepared for that possibility? Very Happy

#13:  Author: thad PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 pm
    —
Ian wrote:
Imagine George Graham's Arsenal stopped using the offside trap in 1988, for example, and actually tried to attack a team! Who would have prepared for that possibility? Very Happy

I've tried Ian, but their most serious injuries were caused by repetitive strain raising their arms...

...but you are sorta endorsing my point, why let everyone know that you have been surprised by your opponent, isn't it your job to ensure that you and your players haven't been..?

scratch

It is the politics of gesture, they want to be seen to do something... however ineffective it might actually be and irrespective of the cost to their and their teams professional pride.

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1