Millwall Pre season friendly
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

#1: Millwall Pre season friendly Author: Maidenbower Millionaire PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:17 pm
    —
I predict a tight game, played 60 mins by our "A" listers

I predict 2-1 to us.

Collins
Enzio

Crowd : stylish sophisticated, suave and quite posh ( 1462 )

#2:  Author: David RLocation: Jeju Island, South Korea PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:30 pm
    —
My penultimate game at The Broadfield before I head off to South East Asia, really cannot wait, I really miss this club when I'm away, this will be a great season, will be sad to miss it.

#3: Re: Millwall Pre season friendly Author: NorthgateRedLocation: BW Stand PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:14 pm
    —
Maidenbower Millionaire wrote:


Crowd : stylish sophisticated, suave and quite posh ( 1462 )
Shocked
We're playing Millwall. And as we are Crawley Town, I'm not sure what match you are planning on watching Razz

#4: Re: Millwall Pre season friendly Author: Maidenbower Millionaire PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:06 pm
    —
NorthgateRed wrote:
Maidenbower Millionaire wrote:


Crowd : stylish sophisticated, suave and quite posh ( 1462 )
Shocked
We're playing Millwall. And as we are Crawley Town, I'm not sure what match you are planning on watching Razz


Wink

#5:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:17 pm
    —
Prediction: low crowd low interest low number shots from Crawley

#6:  Author: Paulc222 PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:17 am
    —
Millwall friendly.

Oxymoron alert.

#7:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:25 pm
    —
Congolese centre back on the bench today. Gordon Greer would be preferable if the club can convince him to sign.

#8:  Author: Jim BakerLocation: Worth actually PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:35 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
Congolese centre back on the bench today. Gordon Greer would be preferable if the club can convince him to sign.



I thought Greer had been turning out for Bolton(?)

Jim Baker

#9:  Author: Jim BakerLocation: Worth actually PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:21 pm
    —
0-1😭

#10:  Author: royboyLocation: Horsham PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:35 pm
    —
Jim Baker wrote:
0-1😭


1-1 😀

#11:  Author: Jim BakerLocation: Worth actually PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:44 pm
    —
2-1 dance

#12:  Author: Alex BH PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:54 pm
    —
FT lost 3-2

#13:  Author: rubyred PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:09 pm
    —
David R wrote:
this will be a great season,


yeh if you say so. trust me you are well out of it.

#14:  Author: Jim BakerLocation: Worth actually PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:11 pm
    —
That's it! We're going down. Bloody useless shower who can't fight for the shirt. Their never be professional footballers as long as the sun rises in he east....blah, blah, blah.

I think I got all the negativity in in one go. Can someone let me know what it was really like?

Jim Baker

#15:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:45 pm
    —
First half we were really good passed,it well. Looked vulnerable at the back but Crawley were the better team in the first 45.

Second half half they were more direct and pinned us back. We then took the starting eleven off between 65 - 70 minutes. The fast majority of the second eleven were awful. They attacked and scored almost at will.

I think we have maybe 14 or 15 league standard players. There are 5 or 6 in the squad who you would hope never to take the field in a competitive game.

Our best eleven will do OK if we can sort the defence out. All of will depend on injuries though and loanees we can secure.

#16:  Author: dazLocation: horley PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:50 pm
    —
Enjoyed the first half , seemed pretty even against a reasonable millwall side (dont know if it was their full strength side) . We have some good players in the stating eleven but still feel that we are missing a bit of midfield creativity and I hope once the serious stuff starts we stop passing back to the keeper so much, it shows a complete lack of creativity also puts the defence under unnecessary pressure .
2nd half went down hill as soon as the subs started ,Nobody stood out except for maybe Bobson and was glad when it finished as we were dire. I just hope we dont suffer too many injuries as a lot of these players are just not good enough..

#17:  Author: David RLocation: Jeju Island, South Korea PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:51 pm
    —
We looked good in the first half, nice passing, some good strong tackling, less so second half, Fitness? Some of ours looked knackered, Millwall looked stronger right across the field, their no'20, old chap, was giving our defence all sorts of problems. But all in all, nice game of footie in the sunshine.

Our goalkeeper!! Serious worries... kept kicking the ball into touch (wrong shaped ball), seemed very twitchy, is he the no1 choice for the season? If so that could be a worry...

#18:  Author: redz75Location: crawley PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:41 pm
    —
[quote="daz"]Enjoyed the first half , seemed pretty even against a reasonable millwall side (dont know if it was their full strength side) . We have some good players in the stating eleven but still feel that we are missing a bit of midfield creativity and I hope once the serious stuff starts we stop passing back to the keeper so much, it shows a complete lack of creativity also puts the defence under unnecessary pressure .
2nd half went down hill as soon as the subs started ,Nobody stood out except for maybe Bobson and was glad when it finished as we were dire. I just hope we dont suffer too many injuries as a lot of these players are just not good enough..[/quote

It was the Millwall first team squad and according to my Lions fans I was with said that the team that started could be the line up for their opening game of the season against Oldham. They were also impressed with the Crawley side in the first half, with the style of play and commitment by the players

#19:  Author: PEETEELocation: Haywards Heath PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:59 pm
    —
I agree with most of the posts here, first half passable second half pretty dire.

Positives were I think Roberts could be a real find great left foot and bags of energy. i think he will do well for us.

Collins looked useful and the central two of Connolly and Mcnerny looked ok.

Bodger? scored a good goal and could be good addition, I think Jimmy will be ok too.

What worries me is the left back Blackman looked shaky and we need more bite in midfield. We know what we get with Lewis I still dont think he is really a defender.

All in all a positive afternoon roll on the First game

#20:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:00 pm
    —
What was attendance? Many away? Any trouble?

#21:  Author: David RLocation: Jeju Island, South Korea PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:06 pm
    —
1200 with 400 away, not bad for a preseason friendly.

#22:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:19 pm
    —
I think we will have some loans coming in according to DD striker form Chelsea apparentlybbeing none.

Imwoukdnt be surprised if wermloaned out three or four as there as a handful not up this level.

#23:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:58 pm
    —
David R wrote:
1200 with 400 away, not bad for a preseason friendly.
only 800 reds thats dreadfully low perhaps the clown that arranged this friendly should now sit in the dunce corner

#24:  Author: SuperRedDevils PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 pm
    —
Red, Red & Red wrote:
David R wrote:
1200 with 400 away, not bad for a preseason friendly.
only 800 reds thats dreadfully low perhaps the clown that arranged this friendly should now sit in the dunce corner


Why? It was a good game, our most competitive friendly, we would have won if we didn't change the whole team from 60 mins.

#25:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:25 pm
    —
SuperRedDevils wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
David R wrote:
1200 with 400 away, not bad for a preseason friendly.
only 800 reds thats dreadfully low perhaps the clown that arranged this friendly should now sit in the dunce corner


Why? It was a good game, our most competitive friendly, we would have won if we didn't change the whole team from 60 mins.
large downturn from.last week psf. Badly timed awful opposition bad reputation same old opposition complete lack thought imagination

#26: Back Author: whiteshoes PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:33 pm
    —
Not been to Crawley for a long time. Went last week to watch Brighton and this week against Millwall. I agree with most posts here. The starting 11 looked very promising.
But the subs who came on were to put it mildly terrible. Billy Clifford and that ginger lad who gave the goal away last week against Brighton are out and out not good enough for non league let alone League 2. Mitch Beeney looked either very nervous or out of his depth. The Turkish lads are garbage as well.The saving grace from my point of view were Connelly, Smith and Roberts. The latter being head and shoulders above the rest on these two viewings.
The passing it along the back line playing ourselves into trouble routine gifted the momentum to Millwall today.
It's been a good grounding back in the fold as it were, I'm looking forward to the season and with a few loans I think we will be fine.

#27:  Author: srn151161Location: North holmwood PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:14 am
    —
My first game of the new season today. Not impressed one bit today. This team is not good enough to pass it's way to the play offs. Hope Dermot proves me wrong but he could be history by Christmas...!

#28:  Author: Paulc222 PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:56 am
    —
srn151161 wrote:
My first game of the new season today. Not impressed one bit today. This team is not good enough to pass it's way to the play offs. Hope Dermot proves me wrong but he could be history by Christmas...!


Is anybody really expecting a play off place though?
Hopefully over the next few seasons we may mount some realistic challenges for promotion, but I don't expect it yet.

#29:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:00 am
    —
Paulc222 wrote:
srn151161 wrote:
My first game of the new season today. Not impressed one bit today. This team is not good enough to pass it's way to the play offs. Hope Dermot proves me wrong but he could be history by Christmas...!


Is anybody really expecting a play off place though?
Hopefully over the next few seasons we may mount some realistic challenges for promotion, but I don't expect it yet.


Exactly. I haven't heard anyone at the club talking about play offs this year. The only target I saw mentioned is they would "love to take Crawley Town into the Championship within 8-10 years".

If we are mid table this year that's good enough for me.

The immediate priority is to rebuild the relationship between the supporters and club.

#30:  Author: josefkLocation: West Stand A90 PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:09 am
    —
I'm not sure I understand some of the doom *beep* on here. Pre season friendlies are never a great predictor but it does let you see how a team is gelling.

The first half the game to me was at least even and I couldn't say that it was obvious Millwall played in a different league than us.

There was one real leader on the pitch captaining the side but he didn't have the armband on, Connolly did martial the players well and brings in much-needed passion.

Schoolboy error on the first goal.

After all the changes in the second half it fell apart, no shape, no attacking and no defending. But, I think that the starting line up has pretty much picked itself.

Worries on Blackman and Young, weak links and whoever played in goal in the second half must have been coached by Gilmartin.

I don't see play offs this year, I see a comfortable top half of league finish.

#31: Millwall friendly Author: Old Bill PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:21 am
    —
First half good second half shambles

#32:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:23 pm
    —
Agree the comment about passing out from the back. Young , Mcerney and Blackman ( to a lesser extent). Look petrified on the balll. They keep hold of it to long and invite pressure.

Once teams know our pattern and press there will be blind panic and mistakes. I would love us to play this way but our back four don't have the skill or confidence.

Turkish goal keeper look far more accomplished than the Chelsea lad.

#33:  Author: rh20devilLocation: west sussex PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:00 pm
    —
Beeney- still work to do
Young - going forward ok defensively still not great
Arthur - seen nothing yet to convince me he can defend!
Payne -looks tidy and more games will help
Connolly- heart on his sleeve leader at the back will be a big season for him
Enzo - gets better each game great goal yesterday
Smith- captain and leader done ok but would like to see him lead a bit more vocally
Harrold- early to say but we no what we get with Matty
Banton - been impressed with him wasn't sure when he signed but definitely doing ok
Roberts - easily our best player creativity wise and pace as well all left foot thou
Morris - decent back up
Mersin - better than beeney at the mo! Could talk more and positioning as a sweeper keeper still needs work
Blackman- as per young ok but needs to work defensively especially positionally
Yorwerth- shadow of the player first half of last season work to do
Garnett ( or Alf as we call him) looks a prospect and a good age
Bobson- is bobson never stops trying hopefully DD will help him progress
Clifford- done ok didn't think yesterday was his best performance but will be
ok
Collins - looks good a real competitor and think he has an eye for goal so all good! Proven at this level!
Tursun- sorry not good enough at the mo time will tell!
Mcnerney- played well yesterday against Gregory and Morrison hopefully gets a run of games!
Tajbakhsh- seen nothing yet to convince me would say Ryman league level at best!
Trialist- baio thought he did ok needs to start to see what he is made of?
Interested to see what loans we make! Def a striker and central midfielder at least we will see! Have faith in DD thou as we look more of a team first half yesterday!

#34:  Author: Maidenbower Millionaire PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:17 pm
    —
rh20devil wrote:
Beeney- still work to do
Young - going forward ok defensively still not great
Arthur - seen nothing yet to convince me he can defend!
Payne -looks tidy and more games will help
Connolly- heart on his sleeve leader at the back will be a big season for him
Enzo - gets better each game great goal yesterday
Smith- captain and leader done ok but would like to see him lead a bit more vocally
Harrold- early to say but we no what we get with Matty
Banton - been impressed with him wasn't sure when he signed but definitely doing ok
Roberts - easily our best player creativity wise and pace as well all left foot thou
Morris - decent back up
Mersin - better than beeney at the mo! Could talk more and positioning as a sweeper keeper still needs work
Blackman- as per young ok but needs to work defensively especially positionally
Yorwerth- shadow of the player first half of last season work to do
Garnett ( or Alf as we call him) looks a prospect and a good age
Bobson- is bobson never stops trying hopefully DD will help him progress
Clifford- done ok didn't think yesterday was his best performance but will be
ok
Collins - looks good a real competitor and think he has an eye for goal so all good! Proven at this level!
Tursun- sorry not good enough at the mo time will tell!
Mcnerney- played well yesterday against Gregory and Morrison hopefully gets a run of games!
Tajbakhsh- seen nothing yet to convince me would say Ryman league level at best!
Trialist- baio thought he did ok needs to start to see what he is made of?
Interested to see what loans we make! Def a striker and central midfielder at least we will see! Have faith in DD thou as we look more of a team first half yesterday!


What a very thorough and honest assessment, well done great posting thumbleft

#35:  Author: redz75Location: crawley PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:29 pm
    —
Pre-season matches are really meaningless - good for match fitness and the team trying out different formations with all the squad - the real test comes when the competitive side comes into the matches and only 3 substitutions are made - agree there are some of the squad that are lacking experience at this level, but give them a chance and let's see what happens with a bit more coaching - Drummy has brought some talented players through the youth ranks at Chelsea and Arsenal - and now it's time to prove he can do it with older players.

#36:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:46 pm
    —
Still 2 weeks to go as well. DD said in his interview after Saturday that this is the stage where the top clubs decide who can go on loan for 6 months or a season.

I'm sure he has good contacts so watch this space.

#37:  Author: IanLocation: The Parish of Rusper PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:23 pm
    —
Red, Red & Red wrote:
SuperRedDevils wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
David R wrote:
1200 with 400 away, not bad for a preseason friendly.
only 800 reds thats dreadfully low perhaps the clown that arranged this friendly should now sit in the dunce corner


Why? It was a good game, our most competitive friendly, we would have won if we didn't change the whole team from 60 mins.
large downturn from.last week psf. Badly timed awful opposition bad reputation same old opposition complete lack thought imagination


PSF's are about the team, not the fans.

#38:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 pm
    —
Ian wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
SuperRedDevils wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
David R wrote:
1200 with 400 away, not bad for a preseason friendly.
only 800 reds thats dreadfully low perhaps the clown that arranged this friendly should now sit in the dunce corner


Why? It was a good game, our most competitive friendly, we would have won if we didn't change the whole team from 60 mins.
large downturn from.last week psf. Badly timed awful opposition bad reputation same old opposition complete lack thought imagination


PSF's are about the team, not the fans.
they charge fans and that makes it about them too. If not, do not charge.

#39:  Author: jules59Location: crawley PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:47 pm
    —
rh20devil wrote:
Beeney- still work to do
Young - going forward ok defensively still not great
Arthur - seen nothing yet to convince me he can defend!
Payne -looks tidy and more games will help
Connolly- heart on his sleeve leader at the back will be a big season for him
Enzo - gets better each game great goal yesterday
Smith- captain and leader done ok but would like to see him lead a bit more vocally
Harrold- early to say but we no what we get with Matty
Banton - been impressed with him wasn't sure when he signed but definitely doing ok
Roberts - easily our best player creativity wise and pace as well all left foot thou
Morris - decent back up
Mersin - better than beeney at the mo! Could talk more and positioning as a sweeper keeper still needs work
Blackman- as per young ok but needs to work defensively especially positionally
Yorwerth- shadow of the player first half of last season work to do
Garnett ( or Alf as we call him) looks a prospect and a good age
Bobson- is bobson never stops trying hopefully DD will help him progress
Clifford- done ok didn't think yesterday was his best performance but will be
ok
Collins - looks good a real competitor and think he has an eye for goal so all good! Proven at this level!
Tursun- sorry not good enough at the mo time will tell!
Mcnerney- played well yesterday against Gregory and Morrison hopefully gets a run of games!
Tajbakhsh- seen nothing yet to convince me would say Ryman league level at best!
Trialist- baio thought he did ok needs to start to see what he is made of?
Interested to see what loans we make! Def a striker and central midfielder at least we will see! Have faith in DD thou as we look more of a team first half yesterday!
Very good post, your on the money I would say



CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football


output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group