Cambridge United matchday thread (JPT)
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

#1: Cambridge United matchday thread (JPT) Author: Site Admin PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 pm
    —
Please keep any discussion of this evening's game against Cambridge United to this thread. Any others may be merged with this one, locked or deleted. 

Those unable to get to the game will be able to keep up to date with the action with commentary on the Reds Player.

The official site is providing text commentary via their Twitter account here.

#2:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 pm
    —
Starting XI: Ashdown, Oyebanjo, Dickson, Leacock, Bradley; O’Connor, Smith, Rose, Young; Tomlin, Harrold.

Subs: Jensen, Banya, McLeod, Richefond, Isaacs.

Josh Simpson, Conor Henderson and Bobson Bawling are missing through injury. Joe Walsh and Gwion Edwards are with the Wales U21 squad.

#3:  Author: Crawley BenLocation: Broadfield PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:02 pm
    —
Can't make the game tonight as don't leave work until 8pm. Hope it's a good match for those who are attending. I'm sure a nosiy home crowd will give the lads a boost. COYR.

Ben

#4:  Author: far2jammy PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:16 pm
    —
Wow not one of the squad was with us before the summer a real test for the first XI. On hoilday so missing this one but if we do not get momentum in a match like this really do worry for the season. Time for a few players to stand up and be counted with Jenson, Walsh, Edwards, Macleod and Simpson not starting or available.

#5:  Author: thedarkhorseLocation: Sheffield, Yorks PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 pm
    —
This is the glamour tie

#6:  Author: AlunLocation: Pound Hill PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:31 pm
    —
This is complete and utter crap!

#7:  Author: thedarkhorseLocation: Sheffield, Yorks PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:34 pm
    —
6 changes. The JPT is our Europa League. Thing is we always qualify...

#8:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:39 pm
    —
Alun wrote:
This is complete and utter crap!

Can't argue with that. Dire game. Harrold winning a lot in the air, Rose has had some nice touches. Tomlin needs to do a lot more and Bradley makes me nervous. Don't get me started on Lewis Young!

#9:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:42 pm
    —
To say it is bad is an understatement.

6 changes but 4 are enforced so it's not as if we have deliberately picked our stiffs. Let's face it our squad players should be able to compete against a L2 side.

#10:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:57 pm
    —
Well, if we're bad what are they like?!

1-0 Reds, Cambridge og

#11:  Author: thedarkhorseLocation: Sheffield, Yorks PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:58 pm
    —
Another own goal. Watch out Izale...

#12:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:10 pm
    —
Simon wrote:
Let's face it our squad players should be able to compete against a L2 side.

It shows we'd be comfortable in L2 if the worst happened this season.

#13:  Author: TownMeadLeftoverLocation: South Devon PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 pm
    —
Good boy this Owen Goal, I always knew he'd be worth his place once he'd settled in

Wink

#14:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:20 pm
    —
2-0 Banya, from open play!!

#15:  Author: thedarkhorseLocation: Sheffield, Yorks PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:22 pm
    —
backofthenet wrote:

Surely not...

#16:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:28 pm
    —
Apparently 1252 there, 141 from Cambridge.

#17:  Author: IanLocation: The Parish of Rusper PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 pm
    —
thedarkhorse wrote:
backofthenet wrote:

Surely not...

We'll have to check with same and 69 (and the footage!) to make sure we didn't have a corner in the preceding 5 minutes Wink

#18:  Author: Phil BLocation: Ifield, Crawley PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 pm
    —
backofthenet wrote:

So 1111 home fans .... Shocked

#19:  Author: IanLocation: The Parish of Rusper PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 pm
    —
backofthenet wrote:

Have to say I'm amazed at that. Thought we'd have about 700/800 in.

#20:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 pm
    —
2-0 F/T

#21:  Author: Astral Voyager PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:54 pm
    —
backofthenet wrote:

Remember a similar number against Dover at Town Mead and thinking that was bumper..it was then!

#22:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:00 pm
    —
Ian wrote:
backofthenet wrote:

Have to say I'm amazed at that. Thought we'd have about 700/800 in.

I reckon kids for £1 helped. Lots of younger fans tonight.

#23:  Author: AllRed63 PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:16 pm
    —
Ian wrote:
thedarkhorse wrote:
backofthenet wrote:

Surely not...

We'll have to check with same and 69 (and the footage!) to make sure we didn't have a corner in the preceding 5 minutes Wink

A quality goal by a quality player!! Actually is was a decent finish - Charles finished with aplomb!! If Lewis Young had the same confidence, he could have had a couple as well - his pace got him free, but no finish - something to work on though. Decent performance in the end by Reds - they did enough to win comfortably - something to build on.

#24:  Author: Maidenbower Millionaire PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:19 pm
    —
Phil B wrote:
backofthenet wrote:

So 1111 home fans .... Shocked

All the important ones were there.

Reminded me of non league days, plenty of room, easy to get parked and served at bar.

Good win tonight, should have had more goals , poor finishing.

New keeper looked ok.

Team need some training in hitting the target, Cambridge were a really poor side.

But a win is a win, Wembley here we come !!!!

#25:  Author: Alex BH PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:23 pm
    —
Much better in the second half. They faded while we got stronger. Sure, they were poor but at least we created plenty of chances. Should have got 4 or 5 goals. We had more chances in this game than we had all season.

Going forward we looked more dangerous, but I doubt we'll have many easier games. Next 2 home games will give us a better idea of where this team is at. We'll need to be more ruthless then.

#26:  Author: guildford roader PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 pm
    —
JG wanted a win, even if it was ugly, and that first half was very ugly. Turning point was bringing on Banya in 2nd half who got some momentum going. I thought moving Emmet to central midfield made a big difference - yes he is raw and makes mistakes - but he has a good eye for a forward pass, decent turn of pace and works hard to break up play. Harrold is going to be a good option. The 2nd half was much better - even the likes of Tomlin and Young improved which couldn't be hard, I know, though their shooting was poor.

#27:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:31 pm
    —
The positives we won . We scored a goal in open play. A win going into a quite vital game on Saturday was important for some confidence.

Generally watching the team it's hard to be encouraged I think it's a question whether there are three poorer sides than us in League one. The football isn't great , the skill level is quite shocking at times. There are some decent players and some young players who try hard and some players who you would expect more from.

Not sure what else can be said , I don't think the team is capable of any better level than they are producing there just isn't the quality there. With a couple of exceptions they all appear to try their hardest which is to be applauded.

Hopefully we will find some way to win on Saturday.

#28:  Author: jules59Location: crawley PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 pm
    —
In control,some nice moves,Charlie goal was quality,he is a live wire.
Keeper looks solid,glad I went,hope we can build on this result.

#29:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:51 pm
    —
The genius strikes again after fielding one if not weakest reds sides ever a result allneit helped by an iffy og. Shame king harold and big mac didnt play together upfront longer. Cambridge were awful embaressing to professional.football

Last edited by Red, Red & Red on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

#30:  Author: David RLocation: Jeju Island, South Korea PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 pm
    —
First half was not good, I thought the second half was much better, we looked good coming forward and we should have scored two more, the keeper was good, I feel encouraged.

#31:  Author: Newish Red PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 pm
    —
I thought Richefond had a good last 20 odd minutes. He looked quick and I can't remember him putting a pass astray.

Surely he must be worth the cost of an hotel room on away trips to gain experience of the league rather than naming < seven subs.

#32:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:14 pm
    —
Newish Red wrote:
Surely he must be worth the cost of an hotel room on away trips to gain experience of the league rather than naming < seven subs.

We've two home games coming up. I guess he'll be on the bench for at least one of them.

#33:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:23 pm
    —
Well it wasn't pretty but a win is a win.

First half was bad - nothing to say really.

Second half much better. We had all the chances and it would have been a travesty if we had lost. Disallowed goal, hit the post but it took a feeble own goal to get us going.

The usual mixed bag in red shirts.

Positives - rejigged defence but still looked solid. Harrold put himself about a bit and won plenty in the air. Mitchell Rose looked OK, didn't understand why he went off. Banya - took goal well and must be overdue a start. Ryan Richefond, good cameo at LB, if I was JG I wouldn't be too quick to write him off. Young - much better second half, finishing weak but some good runs and it might give him confidence.

Negatives - midfield: O'Connor, willing worker but really poor first touch. You can't take 3 touches to control it at this level. Tomlin, again, shouldn't have been offside for the disallowed goal. Smith - set up second half and instead of threatening the goal he tried a back heel that would have been embarrassing in U12 football.

Hopefully a good draw in the next round as there is money to be made if we reach the finals.

#34:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 pm
    —
Some post-match reaction.

JG interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63d-NaSK1ao
Charles Banya interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfjHwy2Wi3I

#35:  Author: David RLocation: Jeju Island, South Korea PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:49 pm
    —
That back heel really ruined a good move, easy to laugh off, because we won, but if we hadn't.

#36:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 pm
    —
Fair assessment by JG although I find the comments about "little Charlie" and "little Ryan" a bit condescending. Both gave a good account of themselves and deserve their places more than some of the more experienced pros.

#37:  Author: qwerty1 PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:09 am
    —
Crap game in all honesty. About 4 minutes of actual football played through out the whole game, the rest of the time it was a game of who can kick it the furthest.

Best player on the pitch tonight: O'Connor. He should be starting in front of Young every week. Young would struggle in the Ryman league. Charging kids a quid to watch that is child abuse.

#38:  Author: Alex BH PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:10 am
    —
Simon wrote:
Fair assessment by JG although I find the comments about "little Charlie" and "little Ryan" a bit condescending. Both gave a good account of themselves and deserve their places more than some of the more experienced pros.
And I don't think it's being 'hypercritical' as JG put it by saying we should have won 4-0 or 5-0, we had plenty of chances. Cambridge we're pretty woeful, it was like they were in conference mode still.

#39:  Author: TownMeadLeftoverLocation: South Devon PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:19 am
    —
Simon wrote:

I think that if you stopped football managers and players from making condescending remarks then it would be the end of interviews ......

#40:  Author: AndrewLocation: Pound Hill PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:34 am
    —
I thought that Banya definately made the difference. He desrves a start on Saturday.

#41:  Author: James PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:12 am
    —
Astral Voyager wrote:
backofthenet wrote:

Remember a similar number against Dover at Town Mead and thinking that was bumper..it was then!

Very true, that.

#42:  Author: ant PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:52 am
    —
Terrible first half, much better second half.

I know the first was an own goal but it was from open play too Wink

When we moved the ball quickly we look half decent. Just do it more often. Smith could well be the key to it. I've been a critic of his thus far but when he moves the ball on quickly we look dangerous.

We have pace in our side - lets try and use it a bit more.

MOM - close call between Harrold and Banya for me

#43:  Author: Thomasfrances1 PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:43 am
    —
It seems like I was the only one who was reasonably impressed, all things concerned with the majority of the match last night.

We definitely tried to play football more than, in any other home game this season. The opposition obviously has to be considered in this.

We never looked in danger, in my opinion.

The confusing thing was a few voices in the east stand, who were demanding that the team get the ball forward. Didn't we want to try and pass it last week?

Why did Mitchell Rose go off? Anyone know? Thought he did quite well, for his first start.

Last edited by Thomasfrances1 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

#44:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:15 am
    —
You have to assume Rose went off with Saturday in mind. He looked ok in the first half. If Simpson Henderson, Bawling and Edwards are out or in doubt Rose will have to paly some part.

#45:  Author: notsoLocation: Worth PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:14 pm
    —
Rubbish first half, better 2nd half. In the end it should have been 4/5-0 but for rubbish finishing.

My main complaint? People moaning about away support, yet the home support for this cheap fixture only draws in 1200. Ridiculous.

Leacock my MOM. Very solid all match.

#46:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:25 pm
    —
notso wrote:
Rubbish first half, better 2nd half. In the end it should have been 4/5-0 but for rubbish finishing.

My main complaint? People moaning about away support, yet the home support for this cheap fixture only draws in 1200. Ridiculous.

Leacock my MOM. Very solid all match.

Regarding the attendance.I actually think it was a decent turn out considering the competition,poor results and home games coming up.
I think the cheap ticket price for the match appealed more to season ticket holders because they don't have to find the cash game by game.
We have two league games at home coming up so it gets expensive,even more so if you had gone to the Cambridge match.
The Cambridge,Rochdale and Fleetwood home games will take about £50 from your wallet, so no real wonder people pick and choose the matches.

#47:  Author: David RLocation: Jeju Island, South Korea PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:11 pm
    —
I'm missing the Fleetwood game, I've been given a free holiday to Sicily, it was a hard decision though, seriously, I did 100% home games last season.

#48:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:14 pm
    —
David R wrote:
I'm missing the Fleetwood game, I've been given a free holiday to Sicily, it was a hard decision though, seriously, I did 100% home games last season.

I think you would have been really Sicily to have turned down the opportunity Dave! Embarassed

#49:  Author: Astral Voyager PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:40 pm
    —
David R wrote:

Bet you ERUPTed with joy when you were offered that David

Click to view this image at its original size
Click on the image to view it at its original size

#50:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:00 pm
    —
Astral Voyager wrote:
David R wrote:

Fancy ROMEing around Sicily when you could be at the Broadfield.

#51:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:04 pm
    —
Simon wrote:
Astral Voyager wrote:
David R wrote:

Should be at the match instead of MESSINA bout.

#52:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:04 pm
    —
backofthenet wrote:
Simon wrote:
Astral Voyager wrote:
David R wrote:

Should be at the match instead of MESSINA bout.

I love TURIN around Italy but only in the summer break.

#53:  Author: TelsLocation: Pound Hill PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:11 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
You have to assume Rose went off with Saturday in mind. He looked ok in the first half. If Simpson Henderson, Bawling and Edwards are out or in doubt Rose will have to play some part.

I felt Rose looked totally lost and uninterested - funny how opinions differ! And Young in the first half was IMHO dire - but he tore up their full back in the second!

#54:  Author: josefkLocation: West Stand A90 PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:09 am
    —
Tels wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
You have to assume Rose went off with Saturday in mind. He looked ok in the first half. If Simpson Henderson, Bawling and Edwards are out or in doubt Rose will have to play some part.

I felt Rose looked totally lost and uninterested - funny how opinions differ! And Young in the first half was IMHO dire - but he tore up their full back in the second!

You're right, opinions differ but how anyone who is going into loads of tackles to win the ball and screaming for the ball when he's got into a good position which he constantly did can be accused of looking uninterested is strange.

If people are that hard to please it's no wonder Proctor is doing better elsewhere.

What does someone need to do to look interested?

#55:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:14 am
    —
Thought Rose looked quite dynamic and really got stuck in. He played some good passes and tried a couple that didnt quite work. No idea why he was taken off at half time there were certainly plenty who performed a lot worse than he was at that point.

He looked a different player to his pre season form thats for sure.

#56:  Author: Phil TLocation: Ifield PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:39 pm
    —
The chaps I was with wondered why Rose had been substituted as we thought he was having a good game.

#57:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:38 pm
    —
Phil T wrote:
The chaps I was with wondered why Rose had been substituted as we thought he was having a good game.

We all thought the same. Did the simple things really well. Much better effort than Smith's laughable back heel.

#58:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:50 pm
    —
Simon wrote:
Phil T wrote:

We all thought the same. Did the simple things really well. Much better effort than Smith's laughable back heel.

Some nice play by Rose. Should start on sat IMHO as he has more bite than Smith or Henderson.

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1