MK Dons matchday thread
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

#1: MK Dons matchday thread Author: Site Admin PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:04 pm
    —
Please keep any discussion of today's game against MK Dons to this thread. Any others may be merged with this one, locked or deleted.

Those unable to get to the game will be able to keep up to date with the action with commentary on the Reds Player and on BBC Surrey on 104/104.6FM.

The official site is providing a matchday blog here and text updates via their Twitter account here.

There is also text commentary available from the BBC and Sporting Life courtesy of the Press Association.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28906337
http://www.sportinglife.com/fo.....awley-town

#2:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:14 pm
    —
Starting XI: Jensen, Oyebanjo, Dickson, Leacock, Walsh, Edwards, Henderson, Bawling, Smith, Tomlin, McLeod.
Subs: Ashdown, Banya, Bradley, Harrold, Rose, Young, O'Connor

#3:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:19 pm
    —
How's the game going?Not too much to report by the looks.
I'm currently at Oakwood v Loxwood in the Senior cup.The away side 3-0 up after 15 mins Shocked

Anyway,come on you super Reds.

Edit Finished Oakwood 2-6 Loxwood
Thoroughly entertaining afternoon.

Last edited by Armchairfan on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4:  Author: Phil BLocation: Ifield, Crawley PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:20 pm
    —
1-0 MK (16 mins)

#5:  Author: garethduncanLocation: Crawley PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:34 pm
    —
30 minutes in and we've only just shown up. That was the worst half an hour of football since Barker.

#6:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:41 pm
    —
One shot on target in 40 min. Are we managing to pass to one anther or is is just boot it up field?

What's up with Bawling off after 17 min

#7:  Author: Astral Voyager PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:31 pm
    —
Mcfadzean doesnt like Crawley anymore Confused

#8:  Author: Phil BLocation: Ifield, Crawley PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:32 pm
    —
Fadz Red card - penalty and missed ... Embarassed

#9:  Author: jules59Location: crawley PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:44 pm
    —
Come on a man down,lets hit the bloody target and get a point.

#10:  Author: Phil BLocation: Ifield, Crawley PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:55 pm
    —
2-0 Embarassed

#11:  Author: AlunLocation: Pound Hill PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:57 pm
    —
It's shaping up to be a long season.

#12:  Author: pauljamescLocation: crawley PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:00 pm
    —
Different season, different players but the same problem remains, just cannot score a goal! Rolling Eyes

#13:  Author: jules59Location: crawley PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm
    —
Alun wrote:
It's shaping up to be a long season.

It sure seems that way Sad

#14:  Author: Hickmott Senior PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:14 pm
    —
Frankly awful
Missing a penalty is unforgivable but conceding a further goal to 10 men is pathetic
Non-league is our level and it was so much more fun
Destiny will surely take its course and we will be re-united
Today's result is embarrassing when the detail is drilled into

#15:  Author: Alex BH PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:24 pm
    —
We all knew it was going to be a tough game, but we should of stuck that penalty away and got a draw against 10 men.

Let's hope we arrest this slide. Got some easier games coming up at home, let's hope we can get some goals and points.

#16:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:25 pm
    —
Hickmott Senior wrote:
Frankly awful
Missing a penalty is unforgivable but conceding a further goal to 10 men is pathetic
Non-league is our level and it was so much more fun
Destiny will surely take its course and we will be re-united
Today's result is embarrassing when the detail is drilled into

Agree with the first point about the penalty. I didn't go but it sounds like we were piling everyone forward but got caught on the break. We need better options up front and the transfer window is still open.

I still reckon we will establish ourselves in the FL but most likely in League 2 as teams like Dag & Red, Wycombe and Accy Stanley have.

#17:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:44 pm
    —
Disappointing but not surprising.
All the games I have seen so far tell me we are short of quality in too many important areas of the pitch.We aren't blind to the problems,we have all seen the midfield struggle to dominate the opposition and stamp their mark on a match.On top of this we have an impotent strike force that little blue pills would struggle to fix.
John Gregory has put this squad of players together, so I hope for his sake they come good and prove they are capable of competing in this league.

#18:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:55 pm
    —
We need to change tactics if we can't change players. It's clearly not working

Four defeats. We can't keep possession we can't hit a barn door let alone score and the defence which was strong last year is carrying in like a tea strainer. In the four defeats we have scored 2 goals and conceded 9 goals.

If that doesn't show something needs to change not sure what does.

#19: Does John Gregory have the answers ? Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:27 pm
    —
Does John Gregory have the answers ?

Listening to his interviews is a strange affair, he talks about great performances ....I sure haven't seen one. He talks about possession of the team, we always have less than the opponents on two occasion this year they have had twice as much!

Every interview is we need to score , agreed ! ..but it's the way we play that is stopping us scoring you need the ball and you need shots on goal.

I hope he turns it around ...the next three games could make or break .

#20:  Author: reddishLocation: CRAWLEY PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:55 pm
    —
Just for an alternative viewpoint, if you look at the games we've played so far, every team is in the top half of the table, mostly aiming realistic promotion candidates which means they're playing reasonably well and beating other teams as well as us.
Realistically we are aiming to stay in the league this year with a bit of mid table security being a job well done.
This team is new, young and has a pretty difficult start to the season, plus Simpson has been injured. Not making excuses but if we want to turn young released players into young promising talent it takes time, mistakes will be made. That's the plan as I see it. We can't compete financially and can't afford our own academy so giving time to the younger players will hopefully make us financially sustainable.
Some years will be development/experimental years, other years we'll reap the benefits. Patience and positivity is needed, all we have to do is look at Proctor to see what happens when youngsters are not given a positive environment to develop.

#21:  Author: AllRed63 PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:35 pm
    —
reddish wrote:
Just for an alternative viewpoint, if you look at the games we've played so far, every team is in the top half of the table, mostly aiming realistic promotion candidates which means they're playing reasonably well and beating other teams as well as us.
Realistically we are aiming to stay in the league this year with a bit of mid table security being a job well done.
This team is new, young and has a pretty difficult start to the season, plus Simpson has been injured. Not making excuses but if we want to turn young released players into young promising talent it takes time, mistakes will be made. That's the plan as I see it. We can't compete financially and can't afford our own academy so giving time to the younger players will hopefully make us financially sustainable.
Some years will be development/experimental years, other years we'll reap the benefits. Patience and positivity is needed, all we have to do is look at Proctor to see what happens when youngsters are not given a positive environment to develop.

Thank you Reddish for providing some sane comment!

#22:  Author: BucksIsOurs.Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire. PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:39 pm
    —
Evening gents. Don't be too disheartened by us beating you, hey, you did better than the other Red Devils Wink. On a serious note, without sounding arrogant, we're looking pretty formidable right now, 4 clean sheets in a row against Chesterfield, Coventry City, Manchester United and yourselves and we've scored 16 goals in 7 matches. It will be tough for a lot of teams to get anything out of us at the moment, especially at home.

A funny game, with McFadzean, a former Crawley player getting sent off and McLeod, a former MK player missing a penalty.

Think we deserved that, the stats suggest we just about edged it and in the first 20 minutes, we should have been 3 or 4 up. The penalty had a big impact, score that and we'd of been lucky to come out with a point, but as it was, Martin who is on fire saves the penalty, we defend fantastically to stop you getting the equaliser and then nick the goal that seals the win right at the end through Afobe who is also on fire. Great tactical performance.

Good luck for the rest of the season, reckon you will be mid table looking at your squad and today's performance (you look like a good team, just without any real threat up front, similar to us last season).

#23:  Author: Hickmott Senior PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:47 pm
    —
BucksIsOurs. wrote:
Evening gents. Don't be too disheartened by us beating you, hey, you did better than the other Red Devils Wink. On a serious note, without sounding arrogant, we're looking pretty formidable right now, 4 clean sheets in a row against Chesterfield, Coventry City, Manchester United and yourselves and we've scored 16 goals in 7 matches. It will be tough for a lot of teams to get anything out of us at the moment, especially at home.

A funny game, with McFadzean, a former Crawley player getting sent off and McLeod, a former MK player missing a penalty.

Think we deserved that, the stats suggest we just about edged it and in the first 20 minutes, we should have been 3 or 4 up. The penalty had a big impact, score that and we'd of been lucky to come out with a point, but as it was, Martin who is on fire saves the penalty, we defend fantastically to stop you getting the equaliser and then nick the goal that seals the win right at the end through Afobe who is also on fire. Great tactical performance.

Good luck for the rest of the season, reckon you will be mid table looking at your squad and today's performance (you look like a good team, just without any real threat up front, similar to us last season).

Ban this moron

Polite, insightful and reasonable. What a t&@t

#24: Re: Does John Gregory have the answers ? Author: mickfLocation: Southgate PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:49 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
Does John Gregory have the answers ?

Listening to his interviews is a strange affair, he talks about great performances ....I sure haven't seen one. He talks about possession of the team, we always have less than the opponents on two occasion this year they have had twice as much!

Every interview is we need to score , agreed ! ..but it's the way we play that is stopping us scoring you need the ball and you need shots on goal.

I hope he turns it around ...the next three games could make or break .

Funny I thought we "out possessioned" Norwich, but admittedly any decent passing performances have all been away from home, even the Ipswich win good as it was came from hard work rather than any passing and keeping the ball.
The "win ugly" comments came out from him again today which I dont much like. We have played decent football last three games but got nothing, cannot see how lumping the ball is going to improve things when our main issue is not being able to put the ball in the net, or is he just preparing us for an aerial bombardment to Matt Harrold?

#25:  Author: James PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:06 pm
    —
reddish wrote:
Just for an alternative viewpoint, if you look at the games we've played so far, every team is in the top half of the table...

Err, why do you think that is?

#26:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:09 pm
    —
Perhaps because playing us is a guaranteed 3 points at the moment.

I think we have every right to expect more from the team, the manager and the CEO.

They dismantled a decent team and so far have served up total dross in the main. The difference in the quality in the football played by this and last years team is huge. To early to call for heads but it's been a very poor start.

#27:  Author: reddishLocation: CRAWLEY PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 pm
    —
Ah, I see you have conveniently missed out the second part of the sentence where I have clarified that point by explaining to be in the top half you must have won several games not just a one off against us.

Can you really judge a team that has only played better/in form teams. in the Premiership if you had lost to Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, does it make you bad?

Out of interest do you think we have had a tricky start compared to say Fleetwood?

#28:  Author: Maidenbower Millionaire PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:31 pm
    —
Basically we were not good enough today.

Regroup and let's try harder on Tuesday.

Come on you Reds !

PS : great stadium experience at MK today !

#29:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:46 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:

I think we have every right to expect more from the team, the manager and the CEO.

They dismantled a decent team and so far have served up total dross in the main. The difference in the quality in the football played by this and last years team is huge. To early to call for heads but it's been a very poor start.

so sack the board?

#30:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:02 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:

You don't have any rights at all in this area.

The last couple of years we have been losing around £2m a year. Check the company's accounts if you need evidence of this.

No club at our level can carry that on indefinitely. That is why the team was dismantled. Plus we are about the same level in the league now (16th against 14th at end of last season) so what were we getting for all the extra cash?

We had 2,225 against Bradford - you get what you pay for.

#31:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:24 pm
    —
That is rubbish we have every rights to question the performance of the team , how they are coached , the style of play. It doesn't matter how much your obsessed with money coming in the team still needs to show some footballing intent. The home performances this year have been terrible.

It doesn't matter if our budget is 750k 1 m or 2 m on the team, this rubbish we have been served this season isn't justifiable. I am not even necessarily talking results. Just the way we play, trying to shoot on goal and pass the ball.

#32:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm
    —
BucksIsOurs. wrote:

Are you "ScumArmy" on another forum?

Anyway - back to the game. We were very lethargic in the first half hour and could have been 3 or 4 down.

We slowly got into the game though and had we a Deli Alli type player in midfield we'd be a far more incisive team. We are just a bit too slow/predictable going forward, although when we speed it up we can be difficult to contain.
The main issue for me at the moment is Tomlin. He just isn't seemingly willing to get stuck in, which for a player of his L1 experience isn't good enough.

At least though we seemed to retain the best centre half!

After what I consider to be one of the hardest starts though 6 points isn't too bad.

#33:  Author: WodinLocation: the computer wing of the mansion PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:34 pm
    —
And don't let the reality of our finances get in the way of your moaning...run along and find either:

A) a club with a multi million pound budget that you wish to support
Or
B) a multi millionaire who is willing to put many millions per year into CTFC

But no doubt you will carry on as you are.....c'est la vie

#34:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:41 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
That is rubbish we have every rights to question the performance of the team , how they are coached , the style of play. It doesn't matter how much your obsessed with money coming in the team still needs to show some footballing intent. The home performances this year have been terrible.

It doesn't matter if our budget is 750k 1 m or 2 m on the team, this rubbish we have been served this season isn't justifiable. I am not even necessarily talking results. Just the way we play, trying to shoot on goal and pass the ball.

I was trying to explain why last season's team was dismantled, as you put it.

We couldn't afford to continue with a wage bill of that size.

#35:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:55 pm
    —
Simon wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:

I was trying to explain why last season's team was dismantled, as you put it.

We couldn't afford to continue with a wage bill of that size.

I wouldn't bother pandering to his WUM ego. He obviously hasn't watched us in our last 3 games which have been tough away games. For 2 of them we've been more than competitive and the 3rd the exertions of the other 2 was probably a factor in the slow start.

Considering how we've had to cut our cloth I think the team is doing very well.
I can't see us finishing in the bottom 4, provided we remember to SHOOT

#36:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:59 pm
    —
Frustrating really.

First half we were outplayed, they had all the shots, and I can't recall us troubling the keeper at all. Even so some comic on the club twitter feed managed to say we ended the half on top. Whoever it was should have been a politician or spin doctor.

Second half we competed a bit better and had a good 15 mins but didn't take the chances when they came. In the end they hit the post and it was no real surprise when they put the second in after we gave the ball away needlessly.

A pretty poor display overall but nevertheless we could have come out of that with a point.

There were too many areas where we just don't really have the quality. Too many extra touches to control the ball before getting a shot in. O'Connor struggled to get in the game, Tomlin again a complete passenger etc.

On the positive side, izale put in his usual shift with little or no support, Harrold looked promising when he came on and it was the best I have seen Henderson play.

All we can do is persevere and hope our luck changes.

#37:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 pm
    —
Some post-match reaction.

JG on BBC Surrey - https://audioboo.fm/boos/2436133
Gavin Tomlin on BBC Surrey - https://audioboo.fm/boos/2436134
JG interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ubbPcRFos
Gavin Tomlin interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB2CDOgBUFo

#38:  Author: David RLocation: Jeju Island, South Korea PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:22 pm
    —
We have had a very hard start of the season, hopefully a couple of easier home games to come.

#39:  Author: Jim BakerLocation: Worth actually PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:59 pm
    —
I didn't go today but....

Simon, according to the radio O'Connor did really well. What makes you say he struggled? Genuine question.

It is not a disgrace to miss a penalty. The very best have missed them. League 1 players will as well.

It is not terrible to to concede a goal when throwing every one forward to equalise. Gawd sake, it happens.

Having said all that we need to start putting the ball into the opposition's net.

Jim Baker

#40:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:04 am
    —
Today was Pathetic. No effort, passion or commitment shown at all. 4 losses in a row and 2 goals scored in the process (1 was an own goal). We are having to carry too many players, ones that are not league 1 level at the moment IMO - Bawling, O'Connor, Lewis Young, Connor henderson.

Gregory has to improve this team. He recruited and put together that shower of *beep* we saw earlier, its upto him to start getting us some results.

#41:  Author: guildford roader PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:52 am
    —
We really need an attacking midfielder who can fill the slot between Izale and Henderson. I wouldn't play someone alongside Izale if it's of the quality of Tomlin, Young etc. I'd play a 5 man midfield. I thought we had a better shape to midfield when O'Connor came on - I like him as he makes good use of the ball. For all the negativity, I was only really disappointed in the performances of Tomlin, Gwion, Izale and Bobson - but they are our main attacking options so no surprise then that we didn't score. Harrold made a good impression - showed some good quality touches. If JG can't add to the squad he is going to have to be very clear on how he makes best use of the resources at his disposal. That's 4-5-1 for me with the hope of a few 1-0 wins.

#42:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:55 am
    —
Jim Baker wrote:

Simon, according to the radio O'Connor did really well. What makes you say he struggled? Genuine question.

Jim Baker

I wouldn't fault his work rate but needed an extra touch each time to control it.

Particularly second half when the ball broke to the edge of the box, it needed hitting first time but once he had taken the extra touch the defence had closed it down.

I would see him as an honest pro, but I wonder what he really brings. Not a defensive player (like Bulman) and not creative either.

#43:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:57 am
    —
"If it was purely on performances we'd be top of the league,we'd be clear by now,almost into the championship because some of our performances have been excellent."

Now that statement is worrying.
It's reminiscent of the statements "Chemical Ali"used to make When the Iraqi army was being beaten in every area of the battlefield.

#44:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:14 am
    —
Jim Baker wrote:

Jim Baker

Excellent crosser, just struggles in the tackle and gets caught in possession.

He's still learning though and hopefully we'll see him get better in the coming weeks along with the other younger players.

#45:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:17 am
    —
How many games had we gone without a win when Barker received his marching orders?
NB I'm not suggesting anything here,far from it....just wondered what the stat was.

#46:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:12 am
    —
Armchairfan wrote:
How many games had we gone without a win when Barker received his marching orders?
NB I'm not suggesting anything here,far from it....just wondered what the stat was.

7/8 I believe. We played better football under Barker, but he was rightly sacked at the time. Under JG, we look un-interested and spend 90 minutes lumping it to McLeod. Its hard to watch.

#47:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:14 am
    —
My God, i have just watched the highlights on the football league show and nearly kicked the TV screen in when I saw the MK Dons second goal.
I want everyone of our supporters to watch that goal and then tell me we haven't got major problems.Have a look at the pathetic reaction from the 3 Crawley midfielders when the quick kick is taken.Its shocking to watch,pathetic and not acceptable.
The defenders for that goal weren't much better either.I want John Gregory and his coaching team to explain what happened for that goal.
Go on,have a look,it's a horror show.

#48:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:18 am
    —
lee 66 wrote:
My God, i have just watched the highlights on the football league show and nearly kicked the TV screen in when I saw the MK Dons second goal.
I want everyone of our supporters to watch that goal and then tell me we haven't got major problems.Have a look at the pathetic reaction from the 3 Crawley midfielders when the quick kick is taken.Its shocking to watch,pathetic and not acceptable.
The defenders for that goal weren't much better either.I want John Gregory and his coaching team to explain what happened for that goal.

You're lucky the FLS didn't show the full 90 minutes. It was more than a horror show. Literally cannot stress enough how bad yesterday was. The highlight was the final whistle.

#49:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:22 am
    —
Crawley Dan wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

You're lucky the FLS didn't show the full 90 minutes. It was more than a horror show. Literally cannot stress enough how bad yesterday was. The highlight was the final whistle.

But Dan, according to John Gregory we should be heading for the championship on our performances.

#50:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:25 am
    —
lee 66 wrote:
Crawley Dan wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

But Dan, according to John Gregory we should be heading for the championship on our performances.

At least RB wasn't as deluded Shocked Wink

In all seriousness, we have had a tough start against 5 good sides. But if we do not pick up points against the likes of Rochdale, Crewe, Oldham, Scunny, Colchester etc.. we are in huge trouble.

#51:  Author: GraemeLocation: Norwich PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:34 am
    —
You guys have got to be more patient. This is a team of strangers and youngsters finding their feet. I am sure it will improve quickly as the season goes on. 6 points in August is more than I expected.

The game, as said first half was bad, I thought we were lucky to come in 1 goal down. We seem to give their midfield time to get on the ball and run at us a luxury they didnt allow us. Second half was better but the penalty was awful ! Hard to pick a man of the match.
O'Conner is very inexperienced, gets caught on the ball, tackling needs improving but crosses well and puts the effort in.
Bobson, I hope the injury isnt bad, I really think this guy has a lot of promise.
Izale looked like a man under a lot of pressure but cant fault his effort, looked much better when Harrold came on to share the load.
Harrold looked really good to me when he came on, I am looking forward to seeing more. It all depends whether he can stay fit.
Tomlin! ball watches, his movement is awful he bottles out of challenges, never attacks the ball, looses possesion, what does JG see in him Confused
(Then again I didn't see anything in Jones when he first came but I was totally wrong and he did come good.)

We will miss Edwards and Walsh next week.

#52:  Author: GillsManLocation: Dorking PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:57 am
    —
lee 66 wrote:
"If it was purely on performances we'd be top of the league,we'd be clear by now,almost into the championship because some of our performances have been excellent."

It's reminiscent of the statements "Chemical Ali"used to make When the Iraqi army was being beaten in every area of the battlefield.

No, it was "Comical Ali" who made those statements. Chemical Ali was known more for his genocidal tendencies than hilariously inept propaganda statements.

#53:  Author: mickfLocation: Southgate PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:06 am
    —
Jim Baker wrote:

It is not a disgrace to miss a penalty. The very best have missed them. League 1 players will as well.

It is not terrible to to concede a goal when throwing every one forward to equalise. Gawd sake, it happens.

Having said all that we need to start putting the ball into the opposition's net.

Jim Baker

Just watched the FL Show though Jim and the second goal looked to be more that we backed off and backed off (Oyebanjo) until the player was in the box and could shoot with ease, a bit like Norwich third on Tuesday, although that was Young doing the backing off!

#54:  Author: Jim BakerLocation: Worth actually PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:11 am
    —
Watched the highlight show. That second goal was pathetic!

Back four all in position, midfield nowhere to be seen. Afobe just wandered past Peacock to score. No excuses for that. Bad, bad defending from our midfield and Leacock.

Jim Baker

#55:  Author: mickfLocation: Southgate PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:13 am
    —
Jim Baker wrote:
Watched the highlight show. That second goal was pathetic!

Back four all in position, midfield nowhere to be seen. Afobe just wandered past Peacock to score. No excuses for that. Bad, bad defending from our midfield and Leacock.

Jim Baker

So he went past Peacock, Leacock and Oyebanjo, even worse than I thought! Very Happy

#56:  Author: Born in Crawley Hospital PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:20 am
    —
It’s difficult to assess where this team is at the moment. They haven’t had time to truly gel yet and it has been a really, really tough opening, only playing some of the better sides in the division. We couldn’t go on with the squad of last season because we simply couldn’t afford it, we had to cut our cloth accordingly. I don’t blame anyone at the club of the ‘dismantling’ of a team because otherwise we won’t have a club at all, although I accept it’s galling to see our former best players at other clubs, especially with Tubbs banging in the goals at AFC Plastic. Just staying up will be a great achievement by Gregory, we can’t get frustrated with him.

All that said, yesterday was pretty bad. We had a few half chances but I simply cannot see where the goals are going to come from and the midfield was non-existent again. The one thing we can hang on to – and it’ll really assist us against the weaker sides – is our defence. As a unit it’s arguably the best we’ve ever had but we’re getting beaten at the moment because they’re getting no protection and the forwards are not holding on to the ball.

MK Dons were better than us yesterday, simple as that. Granted we might have pushed for a win if the penalty had gone in but none of us could truly say that would have been a proper reflection of the game.

Jensen – 6 – He had a couple of uncharacteristic flaps but pulled of one very good save

Oyebanjo – 6 – Didn’t offer a much going forward as usual but still solid

Dickson – 6 – Failed to make the most of some promising attacking opportunities

Walsh – 7 – So calm in everything his does. Out of contract in the summer, he will definitely go at some point this season. A class act

Leacock – 6 – Generally did ok but very disappointing for the second goal

Smith – 5 – He sat in front of the back four but he is so cumbersome he offers little protection

Bawling – N/A – Looked like a hang string pull so it could be a number of weeks out. Bad news with a squad at tiny as ours

Henderson – 7 – Actually showed how technically good he is. A performance to build on

O’Connor – 6 – Showed excellent work rate but I’m not sure he’s a League One player

Tomlin – 4 – Absolutely nothing he did worked, bottled challenges. Simply not good enough but can’t condone some of the negative things that were being shouted at him

Edwards – 6 – Has been a bit of an enigma this season. Flashes of good play followed by anonymity

McLeod – 6 – Brilliant work rate but got zero service. Again. Terrible penalty.

Harrold – N/A – Showed enough in his cameo that he is definitely worth a start

#57:  Author: guildford roader PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:33 am
    —
Armchairfan wrote:

12 league games in to the season should be a good review point. By then the team should have gelled and pattern of performances/results should be established. I'm sure Dunford said we had a top half budget so a bottom third position could spell trouble for JG. He has clearly bought well in the likes of Jensen, Lanre, Leacock, McLeod, Henderson, Dickson but could be undone by the likes of Tomlin and Young. It could be a case of close but not close enough if he can't add to the squad or get more out of the current squad. I think we will be just under mid table by mid October but it will be tight.

Last edited by guildford roader on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

#58:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:36 am
    —
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
Just staying up will be a great achievement by Gregory, we can’t get frustrated with him.

Why not?

#59:  Author: Born in Crawley Hospital PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:45 am
    —
Crawley Dan wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
Just staying up will be a great achievement by Gregory, we can’t get frustrated with him.

Why not?

Because he's working on a shoe string budget and he's managed to cobble together a squad on the resources that have just over 2,000 home fans provide.

Gregory wouldn't have wanted to see the back of Sadler or Connelly or McFadzean or either of the Joneses or Bulman or Adams or Drury or Proctor or Tubbs or Clarke.

We've got a budget akin to a mid to lower League Two team.

Staying up will be a massive achievement.

#60:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:46 am
    —
GillsMan wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

No, it was "Comical Ali" who made those statements. Chemical Ali was known more for his genocidal tendencies than hilariously inept propaganda statements.

You are correct.
It was "Comical Ali" who Thad first introduced to the forum back in the Majeed days.I do hope "Comical Ali" isn't going to make a permanent return with hilariously inept propaganda statements this season.

Last edited by lee 66 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

#61:  Author: IanLocation: The Parish of Rusper PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:50 am
    —
Crawley Dan wrote:
In all seriousness, we have had a tough start against 5 good sides. But if we do not pick up points against the likes of Rochdale, Crewe, Oldham, Scunny, Colchester etc.. we are in huge trouble.

The kind of teams we need to finish above if we are to play Leeds & Blackpool next year!

#62:  Author: IanLocation: The Parish of Rusper PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:52 am
    —
lee 66 wrote:
GillsMan wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

You are correct.
It was "Comical Ali" who Thad first introduced to the forum back in the Majeed days.I do hope "Comicl Ali" isn't going to make a permanent return with hilariously inept propaganda statements this season.

It was nothing to do with Thad Laughing

I doubt he will return as the man behind that character is no longer interested in CTFC.

#63:  Author: mickfLocation: Southgate PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:02 pm
    —
Just watched the extended highlights and we certainly created several chances (3 to Tomlin who had one blocked, one headed over the bar and one well saved by the keeper), but then so did they. Only 5 or so minutes but we didnt look as desperate as some are suggesting, I thought from their comments we hadnt created anything! Shocked

#64:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:05 pm
    —
Crawley Dan wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

7/8 I believe. We played better football under Barker, but he was rightly sacked at the time. Under JG, we look un-interested and spend 90 minutes lumping it to McLeod. Its hard to watch.

We certainly had some excellent football away from home under Barker in his first season - Sheffield United, Preston and Doncaster all spring to mind. This continued at the start of last season (Wolves and Peterborough) but then dropped off quickly (Bristol C and Stevenage away were dire). We usually struggled at home under him, which is why I can understand why a lot of our fans didn't rate him.

The problem is, a lot of people who wanted him sacked are now having a go at his replacement. The phrase "be careful what you wish for" springs to mind as there is no guarantee someone else would do any better with the resources at their disposal.

Evans had success here but left the club with a lot less money than when he was here. The same happened at Boston, and almost certainly will at Rotherham. I wonder if some of his spending (particularly on wages) was OTT?

#65:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:14 pm
    —
Some of our performances under RB, like the games you mentioned were superb. But at the same time some were woeful! Under JG, we don't play football, we just hoof it. Like you said, people only ever see home games as they can't be bothered/can't afford to go away most of the time so don't see what the ones who do go away see.

But what I will say is under RB - better football without doubt, better team spirit, better results (he has a much better win rate than JG). I do like JG, but when I got told from an ex players mouth he is 'just a shouter, and it wears off after a while' i have to think what our new crop of players think after a few games in now when they are struggling.

#66:  Author: trev PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:18 pm
    —
Everyone blames JG for the way we are playing but should not a lot of the blame be levelled at our head coach Paul Groves. He has got us playing like he had Bournemouth playing when they visited us the other season which at the time they were the worst team to visit the Broadfield that season. Once he got the sack they rocketed up the league to win promotion even Tubbs commented glad he miss that bullet. Just how much influence he has I do not know but I assume as chief coach it must be quite substantial. So the question is just who takes the blame.

#67:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:19 pm
    —
trev wrote:
Everyone blames JG for the way we are playing but should not a lot of the blame be levelled at our head coach Paul Groves. He has got us playing like he had Bournemouth playing when they visited us the other season which at the time they were the worst team to visit the Broadfield that season. Once he got the sack they rocketed up the league to win promotion even Tubbs commented glad he miss that bullet. Just how much influence he has I do not know but I assume as chief coach it must be quite substantial. So the question is just who takes the blame.

Well JG obviously wanted Paul Groves with him....

#68:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:23 pm
    —
bridgesboy79 wrote:
Crawley Dan wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

We certainly had some excellent football away from home under Barker in his first season - Sheffield United, Preston and Doncaster all spring to mind. This continued at the start of last season (Wolves and Peterborough) but then dropped off quickly (Bristol C and Stevenage away were dire).

We had 7 points in August from 5 games last season, 15 by the end of September.

We started October with a draw and a win in the league, then went on a run of 4 loses and 3 draws before RB was shown the door. During that run of 7 games we beat Hednesford in the FA Cup.

#69:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:24 pm
    —
As I understand it RB had a substantially bigger playing budget (a top 10 budget if the club were to be believed). It didn't stop him producing a team that couldn't hit a cows *beep* with a banjo (didn't we have a spell of 1 goal in 7 league games.

This season we still can't hit a cows *beep* with a banjo, but are spending a lot less money.

Neither was very entertaining and I can see gates falling further unless the standard of football improves.

#70:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:26 pm
    —
Peter wrote:
bridgesboy79 wrote:
Crawley Dan wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

We certainly had some excellent football away from home under Barker in his first season - Sheffield United, Preston and Doncaster all spring to mind. This continued at the start of last season (Wolves and Peterborough) but then dropped off quickly (Bristol C and Stevenage away were dire).

We had 7 points in August from 5 games last season, 15 by the end of September.

We started October with a draw and a win in the league, then went on a run of 4 loses and 3 draws before RB was shown the door. During that run of 7 games we beat Hednesford in the FA Cup.

4 losses in a row and counting at the moment... 3 goals in 5, of which 1 was an OG and one was a penalty.

#71:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:35 pm
    —
Crawley Dan wrote:
Peter wrote:

4 losses in a row and counting at the moment... 3 goals in 5, of which 1 was an OG and one was a penalty.

Only 3 in the league though, with the fourth being against a Championship side.

#72:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:44 pm
    —
Simon wrote:
As I understand it RB had a substantially bigger playing budget (a top 10 budget if the club were to be believed). It didn't stop him producing a team that couldn't hit a cows *beep* with a banjo (didn't we have a spell of 1 goal in 7 league games.

This season we still can't hit a cows *beep* with a banjo, but are spending a lot less money.

Neither was very entertaining and I can see gates falling further unless the standard of football improves.

And now Jamie Procter is scoring, as is Jonathan Forte. Forte didn't have many opportunities with us though - Barker should have used him more IMHO.

#73:  Author: John The GasLocation: Sunny Horsham PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:07 pm
    —
We miss the penalty, MK Dons break away and force corner.

We then defend the corner with all eleven Reds back against TEN opposition.

Unbelievable tactics which you wouldn't see in the park on a Sunday morning.

JTG

#74:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:18 pm
    —
trev wrote:
i blame the Majeeds for everything inclusing when i got soaked and it rained heavy the other week.

I also blame whoever (does anyone????) market the club and promote this club. We are supposed to be a west sussex club well you go for a drive to Selsey, Billingshurst, Partridge Green, Worthing, Faygate, Pulborough, Pease Pottage and Southwater and see how many Crawley supports you can find. In fact give yourself half a point if they even know Crawley Town FC exist and are a professional football club!

The small team from falmer village have had a head start in sussex thats without a doubt but to be sustainable over the long term the club has to do 2 VITAL things the first I have mentioned here they must grow and expand the fan base and interest.

Secondly they MUST listen to theor supporters. Its a standing joke have you kept your Palace ticket and what about that free game we were all supposed to have? Last season it might been ok for some season ticket holders for exmaple to have extra tickets to give away and those seasted might wonder what hope been seated with friends anyay and what about Billy no mates what does he benefit and even if he has mates its not like HE personally was compensated. Shortsighted and unimaginative boring output from a club that shows littel interest at times REPEAT at tiems NOT always to potential custom.

Take another example, the sma eold Chelski youth team playing in pre-season finedlies, its BORING, use some imagination insight and get a forigh team over what abou a french first team or some Scots on tour?

JG plays his part and is not the ****** that RB is and always will be. Im concerned with the shouting that is mentioned JG does and agree that will wear off etc and though I also thinj its tak ethat with pinch salt how rue can i be assured that is?

JG is doing miracles and is a genius with the limited resoirces he has. Of course lump it up to big Mac is all we can do play to his strengths. If you want a decent burger you have to look beyond the Burger kings and big macs of this world. We unortunatelyvan only afford the meals at Big Mac and unfortunately to date they haveny veen been happy meals Wink

#75:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:44 pm
    —
I would say the football be played last season is far superior to what I have seen this year.. There is little doubt with the odd exception we had better players last year and the year before.

I accept that is in significant part down to budget . However I think the style of play ...if you can call it a style is down to the manager as is the choices of who we have signed. There are to many of the new signings in a small squad who don't look capable in this league.

It is interesting the comment quoted by past players of JG being a shouter and it wearing off in its effect after a while. I did find it strange not one player wanted to stay from last year we will never know the full story. I like JG enthusiasm and he certainly isn't passive during the game. If the just a shouter thing is true , it will wear off very quickly if we keep getting beaten. He has obviously gone for impressionable younger players or ones that new him in his hey day. He will need to show tactical acumen as the current approach isn't working and won't work. The team is trying to play by soaking up pressure and scoring of scraps . You need to be rock solid at the back and deadly in front of goal to do that and we are neither.

#76:  Author: John The GasLocation: Sunny Horsham PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:47 pm
    —
Red, Red & Red wrote:
trev wrote:
i blame the Majeeds for everything inclusing when i got soaked and it rained heavy the other week.

I also blame whoever (does anyone????) market the club and promote this club. We are supposed to be a west sussex club well you go for a drive to Selsey, Billingshurst, Partridge Green, Worthing, Faygate, Pulborough, Pease Pottage and Southwater and see how many Crawley supports you can find. In fact give yourself half a point if they even know Crawley Town FC exist and are a professional football club!

The small team from falmer village have had a head start in sussex thats without a doubt but to be sustainable over the long term the club has to do 2 VITAL things the first I have mentioned here they must grow and expand the fan base and interest.

Secondly they MUST listen to theor supporters. Its a standing joke have you kept your Palace ticket and what about that free game we were all supposed to have? Last season it might been ok for some season ticket holders for exmaple to have extra tickets to give away and those seasted might wonder what hope been seated with friends anyay and what about Billy no mates what does he benefit and even if he has mates its not like HE personally was compensated. Shortsighted and unimaginative boring output from a club that shows littel interest at times REPEAT at tiems NOT always to potential custom.

Take another example, the sma eold Chelski youth team playing in pre-season finedlies, its BORING, use some imagination insight and get a forigh team over what abou a french first team or some Scots on tour?

JG plays his part and is not the ****** that RB is and always will be. Im concerned with the shouting that is mentioned JG does and agree that will wear off etc and though I also thinj its tak ethat with pinch salt how rue can i be assured that is?

JG is doing miracles and is a genius with the limited resoirces he has. Of course lump it up to big Mac is all we can do play to his strengths. If you want a decent burger you have to look beyond the Burger kings and big macs of this world. We unortunatelyvan only afford the meals at Big Mac and unfortunately to date they haveny veen been happy meals Wink

What glue are you sniffing,today?

JTG

#77:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:01 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
I did find it strange not one player wanted to stay from last year we will never know the full story.

Yes we do - we had to slash the wage bill and those that JG wanted to keep were offered about 60% of what they were on.

Of those under contract we were offered money for Fadz which we decided to take, and £100k for Drury which triggered a release clause in his contract.

You talk about last season as if we were fantastic, don't forget we played a lot of rubbish then as well, 6 straight defeats in March/April, 1 goal in 8 leage games in Oct/Nov, I'm struggling to remember the team that you say was so fantastic.

For example Proctor was hopeless last year, but has scored regularly for Fleetwood. So he was either poor for us, or just poorly managed.

#78:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:11 pm
    —
Proctor wasn't poor for us some of his games he was excellent .

#79:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:19 pm
    —
guildford roader wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

12 league games in to the season should be a good review point. By then the team should have gelled and pattern of performances/results should be established. I'm sure Dunford said we had a top half budget so a bottom third position could spell trouble for JG. He has clearly bought well in the likes of Jensen, Lanre, Leacock, McLeod, Henderson, Dickson but could be undone by the likes of Tomlin and Young. It could be a case of close but not close enough if he can't add to the squad or get more out of the current squad. I think we will be just under mid table by mid October but it will be tight.

I sincerely hope you're right Guildford.Getting beat is a bad habit to get in to,and at times a bugger to get out of!!!

#80:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:22 pm
    —
Simon wrote:

Believe nothing the club tells you Simon.You'll get the hang of it one day I'm sure. thumbleft

#81:  Author: ant PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:32 pm
    —
Simon wrote:

You talk about last season as if we were fantastic, don't forget we played a lot of rubbish then as well, 6 straight defeats in March/April, 1 goal in 8 leage games in Oct/Nov, I'm struggling to remember the team that you say was so fantastic.

Couldn't agree more. People sometimes talk about last season as though we were some kind of title challengers. We never were. Sometimes we were worse than awful.

Of those that left for no money the only ones I'm really sad we lost are Bulman and Sadler. It would have been good to keep hold of Mark Connolly and Jamie proctor but I wasn't devastated.

And I really think that we might have had a point or two more if we'd had Bulman still in the side - particularly with Josh out. smith just hasn't cut it for me as either a player or an organiser of other less experienced players around him.

So we are one player worse off than last season in my view. And sadly Dannie was a special player who don't come along too often

#82:  Author: srn151161Location: North holmwood PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:02 pm
    —
So far we have played teams that are likely to be in top 10...If we lose the next two games against Cambridge and Rochdale then we will be in trouble..Until then lets try and hold our nerve and support the lads and last season's messiah Mr Gregory..

#83:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:26 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
Proctor wasn't poor for us some of his games he was excellent .

Yeah, right.

2 goals before Christmas, wasn't it?

#84:  Author: mickfLocation: Southgate PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:58 pm
    —
Cannot comment on the Sheff Utd (but good comments on us from their people) but I can on the Norwich game and we played some decent football, didnt just lump it and deserved something from the game!

#85:  Author: mickfLocation: Southgate PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:59 pm
    —
srn151161 wrote:
So far we have played teams that are likely to be in top 10...If we lose the next two games against Cambridge and Rochdale then we will be in trouble..Until then lets try and hold our nerve and support the lads and last season's messiah Mr Gregory..

We have played Bradford and Swindon (amongst others) and they are not exactly world beaters!!?

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1