# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

#46:  Author: AllRed63 PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:53 pm
    —
lee 66 wrote:
AllRed63 wrote:
As I suspected, team bounced back today with a good performance - JG says it's the best performance (not result) since he's been here. We do have raw talent in the squad - young Bobson in particular - give him a chance - he can only get better. Gwion hit the bar again - fine margins - who knows - maybe we'll catch Norwich off guard! I suggest all the doom merchants hold off for a bit and do what supporters of the club do - get behind the team. Well done to everyone who went to Sheffield!

Err,we lost.I wouldnt exactly call that bouncing back.

I didn't go but listened to the game on the radio,so its difficult to give a definitive oppipion on the teams performence.It certainly sounded like we played better today then we did against Bradford,but come on,that wouldn't have been difficult would it.It also didn't sound like Sheffied Utd were that good either,so a missed opportunity maybe eh.
The stats dont look that great either,one shot on target won't win many matches.Its about fine margins,it's also about large ones too.

The doom merchants as you put it do support the team,last time I checked the club were still charging them to watch.We all have opinions on performances,players, and the managers tactics for each and every game.if I feel doom and bloody gloom after a match and elation and happiness after another that's my business and right as a paying punter.So I suggest you have your oppipion on how the team plays and performs and let others have theirs.
We are in League One and if we want to stay here then hard nosed opinions and brutal honesty of our weaknesses need to addressed head on.
Every match we lose needs to be looked at extremely closely to see why we lost.We won't be shown any mercy from anyone so I'm afraid fine margins just won't cut it.

If JG says it's the best performance since he's been here, I'm happy to go along with that for now. We've played 4 league matches - won 2 lost 2 with a completely new team. The wage bill has been slashed dramatically to try and cut our cloth accordingly. So it's reasonable to expect the quality to go down a bit. I know we're not the only team to have to do this, but with the cash JG has available, I would say he's done better than I was expecting. If you want to have hard-nosed opinions, how about being brutally honest about what has gone well for a change. The Beast - good signing, Ryan Dickson - good signing, Dean Leacock - good signing, Lanre Oyebanjo - good signing etc etc. Players like Conor Henderson, Bobson Bawling are getting up to speed, some are still integrating and getting to know each other. Gwion Edwards is going to be a good, maybe great player - he could have had 2 goals already this season. Josh has been injured for the most part, despite looking our best player pre-season - another loss. Matt Harrold will be available soon to give Izale a breather. So all I say is - give the boys a chance. If you want to air your hard-nosed opinions, book a chat with Mr Dunford - maybe he'll tell you how the land really lays!!

#47:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:07 pm
    —
Simon wrote:
Not a disastrous result. Over 18,000 there today - with our 2,500 odd we just can't compete with their resources.

Have to agree. It's a huge football club, you could see that today, we are punching above our weight.

We played well today, but in the end, a bit of class won it for them. Jose Baxter must be on around what, 4/5k? a week at Sheffield United, and today he showed why - lovely finish. Got back in the car after the game, said to my mate, to be honest, IMO we played well and didn't deserve to be beaten and I still feel the same now I'v had time to reflect on it so I'm not too dissapointed.

Few Points:

Gwion Edwards - Showed today what we saw in him last season. Quick, took players on and looked a real threat.
Bobson Bawling - Best I have seen him play, MOTM for me.
Joe Walsh - His reading of the play is superb, we will be very lucky to see him in a Crawley shirt come September
Lewis Young - CRAP! He is not a league 1 footballer.

Roll on Norwich!

#48:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:11 pm
    —
From a Sheffield United fan on another forum -

Quote:
1st half We had a lot of possession and corners but rarely looked like scoring. Crawley had numbers in defence, tackled fiercely not giving us time on the ball and counter attacked with pace. We were well below par 1st half but I think it was because Crawley employed fantastic tactics. Crawley had a great chance to score just before half time and probably deserved to be leading at the halfway mark. Your players were quicker and seemed fitter than ours and seemed more up for it/ more determined.
2nd half We had to get better and show more urgency and we did improve. We scored a goal from nothing due to the high quality of Jose Baxter scoring a great goal. After that Crawley did most of the attacking and we sat back relying on the counter attack. We came close to scoring several times on the break but as the match wore on we sat back more and more. Crawley missed 1 or 2 great chances late on as we limped over the line to a 1-0 win. In the last 10 minutes we persisted on time wasting and going to the corner flag which didn't go down well with our fans.
As I left the ground I heard someone say "why does a win feel like a defeat".
I know what he means. We weren't convincing at all today or maybe Crawley are better than I thought.
But it was a tough match, could have gone either way and a draw would have been a fair result.
We've played 4 league matches now and all 4 have been tight and should have ended in 4 draws.
We've ended up winning 2 and losing 2. Not confident about our promotion chances at all, we need some high quality loan signings.
Well done to Crawley, just a little unlucky. I expect you to be in the top half.

I'm glad he wrote that - it saved me a lot of typing!

A good effort from the boys and I'm looking forward to Norwich.

Having just read CD' s post above, Young will improve I think, he didn't look as peripheral as he did at Barnsley. He just needs a bit of belief.

#49:  Author: oldcodgerLocation: Stoke on Trent PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:25 pm
    —
Am in two minds today, as a game of football at league one standard was not that impressed. Thought there was a lack of quality on both sides. Still its early days and both reams are completely different from last year.

Second half we did not trouble their goalkeeper at all and with one shot at the very end from us, it does seem we should be a little concerned where the goals will come from

Overall performance better than Tuesday (mind you couldn't be worse than the second half on Tuesday).

Their goal was from a long way out and the Beast didn't move, will wait until MOTD tonight before making a judgement.

Not a bad turnout from the fans from Crawley but 18,000 (a small crowd according to a SU supporter I was talking to) confirms we are a small club in a big league we must be in the bottom 5 for average support.

#50:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:16 pm
    —
backofthenet wrote:
Having just read CD' s post above, Young will improve I think, he didn't look as peripheral as he did at Barnsley. He just needs a bit of belief.

I thought it was one on Young's better displays. He showed pace at times and ran at the Sheffield defense as Gwion did. It was good to see.

I wasn't surprised he was subbed, and I would say he should be pleased with how he did today.

#51:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:19 pm
    —
oldcodger wrote:
Their goal was from a long way out and the Beast didn't move, will wait until MOTD tonight before making a judgement.

Probably better off waiting for the Football League Show. Wink

#52:  Author: Paulc222 PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:23 pm
    —
Ian wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:
Also, we haven't scored from open play in the league yet.

Confused

Barnsley & Bradford...

Well if you want to split hairs - but both those goals were headers from corners. I suppose it could be regarded as open play the moment the ball touches the head but come on, it's a bit like saying that a penalty taker that scores after a rebound from the keeper is scoring from open play.

Mind you, as it's you Ian, I would be shocked if you actually agreed with me about something Smile

#53:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:32 pm
    —
Some post-match reaction.

JG on BBC Surrey - https://audioboo.fm/boos/2418168
Ryan Dickson on BBC Surrey - https://audioboo.fm/boos/2418188
JG interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e39e9_fKcKY
Ryan Dickson interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU2mDlGlmIg
Conor Henderson interview on Reds Player - http://www.player.crawleytownf.....ed-setback

#54:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:51 pm
    —
Peter wrote:
oldcodger wrote:

Probably better off waiting for the Football League Show. Wink

Seen it on SSN. No chance with it. Right in the corner.

#55: Away support at Sheffield.... Author: John The GasLocation: Sunny Horsham PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:03 am
    —
Away support at Sheffield....

Cue Crawley Dan😜

JTG

#56:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:01 am
    —
Have just listened to John Gregory being interviewed after the match.
He was obviously pleased with the teams performance and thought his team were the better team for 85 minutes.He is of course entitled to that view.I would however disagree completely with one thing he said.....I quote.....

"We came with a game plan and it worked perfectly"

Sorry John but it didn't.

#57:  Author: Astral Voyager PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:03 am
    —
lee 66 wrote:
Have just listened to John Gregory being interviewed after the match.
He was obviously pleased with the teams performance and thought his team were the better team for 85 minutes.He is of course entitled to that view.I would however disagree completely with one thing he said.....I quote.....

"We came with a game plan and it worked perfectly"

Sorry John but it didn't.

How do you know his game plan wasn't to lose? Smile

#58: Re: Away support at Sheffield.... Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:30 am
    —
John The Gas wrote:
Away support at Sheffield....

Cue Crawley Dan😜

JTG

I'm keeping quiet. Can't be bothered at watching grown men bite to my immature ways, it's embarrassing for them. What I will say though, is that the fans that did show up, I doubt many would of gone home disappointed at the performance we produced.

#59:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:25 pm
    —
For those with access to RedsPayer, if you log in to Blades player instead you can watch the whole match.

The possible handball is right at the end and from the highlights it's difficult to tell. Mind you, it was difficult to tell from the stand as well!

http://www.player.sufc.co.uk/home/

Some meagre highlights here as well -

http://www.crawleytownfc.com/n.....63251.aspx

#60:  Author: hughe_tj PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:45 pm
    —
Good performance by the team. Deserved at least a draw. Poor performance from the fans. A few strangled renditions of Come on Crawley and little else. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
Page 4 of 5