CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Comic Relief
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemo
Coach
Coach

Topics: 81

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Hot Air Reply with quote

What a lot of hot air - if you're all so keen to donate to a good cause what was so wrong with St Catherines Hospice?! Evil or Very Mad

http://ctfc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229

http://ctfc.net/forum/viewtopi.....p;start=15
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Air Reply with quote

wateratt wrote:
What a lot of hot air - if you're all so keen to donate to a good cause what was so wrong with St Catherines Hospice?! Evil or Very Mad

all in good time...all in good time
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me is the fact that the various 'good causes' who try to make one feel guilty if you don't donate to their particular cause.

I, like many I know, choose the particular charities that are dear to us. I do not donate willy nilly (and find the various charity showings on TV particularly distasteful) and hate to be pressured to part with my hard earned pennies to other charities.

For those that wish to know, I support the British Heart Foundation (my father died of a heart attack), Cancer Research (my mother died of cancer) and Help the Aged (investment in my future Wink ).

(But I do respect the right of the individual to donate/be conned out of cash to whoever they wish.)
Crawley Hammer
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Air Reply with quote

wateratt wrote:

You can always sponsor me for the 45 mile bike ride I will be doing for St Catherine's at the beginning of June....

And my initial post was intended to make people think about where the money from Comic Relief goes, and to challenge the almost invincible and unquestioned position it seems to have assumed.
Dave Leake
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just out of interest, what was your criteria when choosing which charities to highlight?
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Air Reply with quote

Crawley Hammer wrote:
You can always sponsor me for the 45 mile bike ride I will be doing for St Catherine's at the beginning of June.... .

Is it the London-Brighton? the only time there are more sore bums in Brighton is the morning after the pride parade, but I will cough up a tenner for your efforts

Crawley Hammer wrote:
And my initial post was intended to make people think about where the money from Comic Relief goes, and to challenge the almost invincible and unquestioned position it seems to have assumed.

I took the same stance as Dave Leake and had no issue with donations to the causes highlighted..

but I am concerned at the politiised approach to charities

A few years back I had a meeting in London with a group of prestige Japanese clients and the man from the blue-chip global consultancy representing them, discreetly asked me before the meeting to remove my poppy in case it caused them offence...

I adamantlly refused.. and the clients were far too polite to make any reference

But we never got included in any further bids despite a very successful project partnership
scratch
Dave Leake
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thad wrote:
Quote:
A few years back I had a meeting in London with a group of prestige Japanese clients and the man from the blue-chip global consultancy representing them, discreetly asked me before the meeting to remove my poppy in case it caused them offence...

I adamantlly refused.. and the clients were far too polite to make any reference

That is ridiculous! No way I'd have removed mine either. I actually think it was more offensive of him to ask you to remove it.
Crawley Hammer
Reserve team
Reserve team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Leake wrote:
So, just out of interest, what was your criteria when choosing which charities to highlight?

Ones that I thought would provoke a response.
Crawley Hammer
Reserve team
Reserve team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Air Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Crawley Hammer wrote:
You can always sponsor me for the 45 mile bike ride I will be doing for St Catherine's at the beginning of June.... .

Is it the London-Brighton? the only time there are more sore bums in Brighton is the morning after the pride parade, but I will cough up a tenner for your efforts

It's not the London-Brighton - it's a 45 mile loop starting at Hurstpierpoint College, described in the St Catherine's blurb as a 'demanding route'!

And thanks very much for your donation. I have done the London-Brighton before, and afterwards the ride out to my lift waiting at Preston Park seemed like one of the longest rides ever. And no mention of bums...
nemo
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Air Reply with quote

Crawley Hammer wrote:
wateratt wrote:

You can always sponsor me for the 45 mile bike ride I will be doing for St Catherine's at the beginning of June....

Funny you should say that I will be running in the Crawley 10k this July in aid of St Cats so I'll sponsor you if you sponsor me.

PM me if your interested
nemo
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
Cancer Research

Ooh bit of a hot potato that one! Research using 'transgenic' and 'knockout' livestock - can think of a few people who would be unhappy about using animals in research work Wink

BtW Cancer Research and BHF are two of richest and largest UK charities and whilst both are worthy causes St Catherines has nothing like the funding at their disposal that the aforementioned do - all of course in a non-profit making sense.

And yes I know NLaSA
MC
Coach
Coach

Topics: 130

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps,

In the past when friends and or chaps on West Ham forums etc have done a worthy challenge, they set up a website for dontations.

Im sure its something like justgiving.co.uk.

That way we can then donate directly with our credit/debit cards and you dont have to chase lots of nasty football fans for money.

On top of that we can give you the old tax relief for the donation and also leave a little message of encouragment!

I would be happy to pledge dosh as and when this is set up as it makes it all alot easier.

As for St Catherines Hospice, I donate via the light a candle thing they do at Xmas in memory of all the old relatives who have croaked it in years gone by as well as other local events - another worthy cause I agree.

As for Japs, well they can *beep* off! One of the most memorable moments in my life was visiting Pearl Harbour. It really is a piece of living history but was almost ruined by unthoughtful Japs who talked loudly en masse and with little respect of those around them during the tour.

Suffice to say I gave one or two a piece of my mind and also some "evil" eyes.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Leake wrote:
Thad wrote:
Quote:

That is ridiculous! No way I'd have removed mine either. I actually think it was more offensive of him to ask you to remove it.

He actually mentioned it to the head of my company too, who told him where to go... but as I say we never got any further deals from them after JAL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: