CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

New Manager
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant wrote:
There was an interesting debate on the radio last night about the PL and two managers in particular - Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche. Both have done superb jobs at their current clubs and both have had less successful times at other times in their managerial careers (ironically for Howe it was at Burnley). Yet only Howe is linked with the likes of Arsenal and England and Dyche never seems to be linked with other jobs - style of play - gingerism (Dyche's phrase in an interview not mine) or just a recognition that Dyche is a bit less telegenic than Howe?
You could apply the "ingrained" argument equally to Howe, right man, right club. Looking like Bobby Moore does not harm his England prospects, but I suspect that character is a big factor too. The blazers at the FA might see him as more compliant and agreeable than Dyche who displays a more cussed independent nature..?

I suspect the problem both will have is that no matter how talented they are, their clubs will struggle to break into the elite group and they can only go so far with the finances available and patience may run out. Objectively Watford over-achieved in recent times, but clearly the owners have a different perspective and a distinct lack of patience.

Kewell & Feeney have one huge advantage over Drummy & Gray - their competitive league & international playing careers - that counts for a lot in a hard-nosed League 2 dressing room.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedlar wrote:
Neil Harris didn't do to bad today.

Not much first team experience before.

Harris played almost 400 games for Millwall and managed their u21s for 2 years as well as a couple of spells as caretaker.

The closest we would get is Dannie Bulman apart from the fact that Dannie hasn't coached yet.
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was hoping for an ex Leeds player but JFH. That said, if it is Kewell we must give him a chance. Sometimes these left field/ big name appointments work like Di Canio at Swindon. Sometimes they are a disaster like Sheringham at Stevenage. Only time will tell.
pedlar
First Team
First Team

Topics: 206

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
pedlar wrote:
Neil Harris didn't do to bad today.

Not much first team experience before.

Harris played almost 400 games for Millwall and managed their u21s for 2 years as well as a couple of spells as caretaker.

The closest we would get is Dannie Bulman apart from the fact that Dannie hasn't coached yet.

Meant to say first team management experience
Simon
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridgesboy79 wrote:
Was hoping for an ex Leeds player but JFH. That said, if it is Kewell we must give him a chance. Sometimes these left field/ big name appointments work like Di Canio at Swindon. Sometimes they are a disaster like Sheringham at Stevenage. Only time will tell.

True enough. Plus of course the 'name' is only part of the picture. Budget, off field/youth structure etc all come into play.

We are not able to afford many established players (apart from the obvious Cox, Collins types) so we need someone who can get the best out of younger players. That was what we hoped DD could do but it just didn't work.

If the new guy can blend the best 7/8 from last season with another 7/8 whilst losing the dead wood that's great.

Plus having an U23 side does enable us to take players from the lower leagues and give them regular football. There have been a few Sussex lads that have made the step up (like Luer and Bugiel) but expecting someone to come from Rymans into the first team is too much.

Working the loan market will be important too. Sadly this is where DD's signings let him down.
Stuart of Shildon
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
bridgesboy79 wrote:

True enough. Plus of course the 'name' is only part of the picture. Budget, off field/youth structure etc all come into play.

We are not able to afford many established players (apart from the obvious Cox, Collins types) so we need someone who can get the best out of younger players. That was what we hoped DD could do but it just didn't work.

If the new guy can blend the best 7/8 from last season with another 7/8 whilst losing the dead wood that's great.

Plus having an U23 side does enable us to take players from the lower leagues and give them regular football. There have been a few Sussex lads that have made the step up (like Luer and Bugiel) but expecting someone to come from Rymans into the first team is too much.

Working the loan market will be important too. Sadly this is where DD's signings let him down.
You mean Selim signings let him down.
Barry
Trainee
Trainee

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like a dun deal......,what with it being all over the Argus the obby and also the Liverpool echo ... plus his links to turkey ...... it could be interesting if he signs as a player/manager http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk.....l-13066301
Simon
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart of Shildon wrote:

Interesting point but I'm not convinced. I would be very surprised if DD didn't have a say, particularly on the lads from Chelsea.

Bottom line - Beeney was average, Davey useless, Yusuf never fit enough for 90 mins and Murphy never really played.

However it is interesting that we are already signing players before the manager is in place. Has Kewell ever seen us play? Who will be deciding who to release/retain?
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
Stuart of Shildon wrote:

Interesting point but I'm not convinced. I would be very surprised if DD didn't have a say, particularly on the lads from Chelsea.

Bottom line - Beeney was average, Davey useless, Yusuf never fit enough for 90 mins and Murphy never really played.

However it is interesting that we are already signing players before the manager is in place. Has Kewell ever seen us play? Who will be deciding who to release/retain?

Think you could add Clifford to that list. For every good game (when he would be exceptional), he would have ten where he was anonymous.
Warren
Coach
Coach

Topics: 299

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's looking like it will be Kewell. It got me thinking that perhaps whilst ZE may not think he's the best managerial appointment, HK will have some sort of global appeal across a couple of continents, with him being awarded the best Australian footballer of all time and being ex-Galatasaray. The modern game now - as sad as it is - is to be some sort of global business, no matter what the level, so Harry fits the bill in that sense.

Still, if reports are to be believed and Feeney comes in as assistant, then at least we have one man on board that knows the Football League circuit. I dare say Bully will be assisting in that sense, too.

With DD and MG we had someone like Kewell, who worked in youth football and had a knowledge of younger prospects, but was assisted by a man who'd only worked in non-league, meaning we actually had nobody on board who really knew the quality of the division and the calibre of player needed for League Two. Didn't I read somewhere a few months back that initially DD was concerned McNerney wasn't good enough for League 2?!

Another positive HK will have is that he's played at the top level, won titles, represented his country in World Cups, moved clubs for millions of pounds and was a brilliant player (at Leeds, at least). That'll get him more respect from the players than DD received, IMO. After all, if I was a James Collins or Dean Cox and was being told what suits your game best by someone whose playing career highlight was representing Blackpool five times before dropping into non-league, I'm not sure I'd be too keen to take his ideas and methods on board in a serious fashion.

Anyway, time to get behind the new boss, whether we wanted him in charge or not. The first non-British manager we've ever had and the first Champions League winner to be associated with us? Over to you, JB!
whiteshoes
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 51

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long suffering Leeds fan i can honestly say this judas will ruin next season. He only ever played when he wanted a new contract. He has zero managament experience. A total left field risky manoeuvre.

Why not someone with previous in this league. I dont want to be right about this but if Kewell is the answer what the hell is the question???
whiteshoes
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 51

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long suffering Leeds fan i can honestly say this judas will ruin next season. He only ever played when he wanted a new contract. He has zero managament experience. A total left field risky manoeuvre.

Why not someone with previous in this league. I dont want to be right about this but if Kewell is the answer what the hell is the question???
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judas? Thought that was Sol Campbell Cool
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the dross we've had to put up with id be more then happy with Harry Kewell coming in and shaking things up from top to bottom.Even if he's here fo just 1 season wouldnf bother me, just as long as it's exciting and worth my time making the effort to turn up to watch he's team.I know we have people that want long term stability, a safe pair of hands and all that,that's all very noble but what this club needs more then anything at the moment is some good old fashioned adrenaline filled excitement on the terraces.If Mr Kewell brings even a small dosage of that then he'll do for me.
2oo2Red
Coach
Coach

Topics: 62

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteshoes wrote:

Someone with previous Experience at this level? Only managers we would get in that case is the ones who have been sacked at this level.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: