CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Portsmouth matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bianchiboy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Bobson isn't our most accomplished player, but his arrival last night gave us ENERGY, introducing a higher tempo and suddenly we looked a more serious threat because the opposition couldn't stroll back into their defencive formation... and that is our problem, our build-up is too slow and predictable.

Our best attacking moment was when Collins did all the work himself and showed that Pompey weren't too clever when you ran at them, but we simply didn't sustain pressure enough to really frighten them.

Crawley69 - I'm going to stick with it in the hope (not belief) that we will improve. I'm not going to pillory anyone for not attending because they are bored by it... likely I'm being foolishly optimistic, but still involved enough to want to be there. But it is not a refusal to see the facts, more a cussed determination to see my team prove you wrong.. we'll know at the end of the season, but I reckon you will miss it more than you realise.

I agree Thad, I am not a big fan of the Bobson but he showed more effort in his cameo than Enzio did the whole time he was on the pitch!
GreyTrader
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCrawley1 wrote:
http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/sport/football/crawley-boss-drummy-we-just-lost-to-the-best-team-in-the-league-1-7855501

Great point made in the comment section of this article by mjfjo. Agree entirely with what he is saying

Agree. Good analysis from mjfjo.

IMO we are to negative and defensive which in turn gets us chasing the ball around a lot more than the opposition therefore tiring sooner.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasfrances1 wrote:
I know I'm going to get stick for this, but Henderson should be one of the first players on the teamsheet, especially if we want to play like this. He gets us playing and distributes the ball well.

I wouldn't argue with that, but he needs willing runners otherwise the options are square or behind, no good having a decent passer on-board if he has no outlet.
Bianchiboy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
As an aside, maybe worth remembering this morning that at the start of the campaign not only were we favourites to go down, but Pompey were going to walk their way out of league 2.

scratch

I hate to say it, but the most impressive team I've seen recently were the dreaded Stevenage, that must be a turn up for the bookies too.

Me and a mate were saying exactly the same thing last night.
Apparently they have only lost once in 14 games?
ElTel
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see in a 4 4 2 team off Smith right back Connelly, McEnery, Young.Blackman left midfield, Henderson, Payne, Kaby Collins and Murphy uptop.OK I'll get me coat.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTel wrote:
I would like to see in a 4 4 2 team off Smith right back Connelly, McEnery, Young.Blackman left midfield, Henderson, Payne, Kaby Collins and Murphy uptop.OK I'll get me coat.

I think in practice that is more of a 4-2-2-2 but you do have a point that prior to this season the best that Smith has played for us was at right-back, might be worth considering.
Thomasfrances1
Youth team
Youth team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Thomasfrances1 wrote:
I know I'm going to get stick for this, but Henderson should be one of the first players on the teamsheet, especially if we want to play like this. He gets us playing and distributes the ball well.

I wouldn't argue with that, but he needs willing runners otherwise the options are square or behind, no good having a decent passer on-board if he has no outlet.

The way I see it, Thad, and it's probably very idealistic, but the full backs in this league aren't pressed at all, very regularly. Therefore he has two passing options there.

Then we have Cox( if he's playing left) coming slightly inside and playing in between the lines presenting a problem for the full back he's playing against.

You've then got the width of Enzio on the opposite side, who I'd keep wide.

Two more options there. Then obviously you can play through the centre, as Clifford should be constantly on the move looking for little pockets behind their midfield. The other obvious option is to hit Collins, or play it in behind for him to chase.

See plenty of options, easy isn't it eh Razz
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasfrances1 wrote:
See plenty of options, easy isn't it eh Razz

Well yes... likely we are both right... if the players are in the right places then he will find them, if they are not, then he needs willing runners to make themselves available.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only play one way under DD:
GK
Line of defence
Another line of defence
One or two forwards

Thats it. Its gettung hard to stomach. Mad
Andrew
First Team
First Team

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, Red & Red wrote:
We only play one way under DD:
GK
Line of defence
Another line of defence
One or two forwards

Thats it. Its gettung hard to stomach. Mad

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but in all the LEAGUE 2 games at HOME this season we have failed to score in 3. And 2 of them (Donny and Accy) were nil nil draws. IE last night was the only home loss where we have failed to score. Compare that to last season ? (I haven't).
allanp
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great game last night though was it. Crawley give the opposition too much space and don't close them down quickly enough.
PCrawley1
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allanp wrote:
Not a great game last night though was it. Crawley give the opposition too much space and don't close them down quickly enough.

Understatement of the year
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allanp wrote:

I assumed after the first 15-20 once we had weathered the storm that it was our game plan, to let them have the ball, particularly in the opposing final third.
As the game wore on I decided that it could be we just couldn't get near the ball.
It's been stated that we had a few chances but I don't think we would have scored if we were still playing now.
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a poor performance against a clearly better team.

In many ways the game was very similar to Doncaster in that we had a game plan of containing the opposition.

However, unlike the Doncaster the opposition took their chances and when behind, we didn't have an answer, the game plan was ruined and we didn't offer anything going forwards.

The most disappointing thing for me wasn't losing to a better team with a much higher budget and much better support, it was our negative approach to the game and our lack of ambition. The way we set up, the best we could hope for was 0-0. In too many games we are too defensive defence and midfield sit deep too deep and we struggle to progress the ball up the pitch.

Unfortunately, the last few home games sum up where we're at at the moment, a very average side in a league where only 2 go down giving us no motivation to improve and press on in the second half of the season as we're well clear of relegation without really having done much.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also lack height - the 'very tall' player.

Their defender who scored was much taller than Collins so aerial combat was a no-no, and he was taller than our defenders so had that advantage (although actually marking him at the corner might have been an idea......)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: