CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Amateur Refs to Strike...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Amateur Refs to Strike... Reply with quote

More than 2,000 referees to strike this weekend
Quote:
More than 2,000 amateur referees will go on strike this weekend, according to a teenage official who says he has been "headbutted, spat at and punched".

Ryan Hampson set up a campaign on Facebook calling on officials across the UK to boycott grassroots games in protest at the treatment they receive.

The 18-year-old says the Football Association's procedures to protect referees are not strong enough.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with this.

A mate's lad who is a similar age got qualified and lasted five games.

Too much abuse. Not worth it.

Last edited by Born in Crawley Hospital on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sussex Boy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to the refs I say. I hope their is maximum disruption even to kids football.

Again the the FA need to stand up and be counted on this matter but they wont as they probably don't care
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without trying to sound too much like an old duffer... when was it that people started to actually expect Refs to always make the right decision...?

scratch
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly believe the Premier League refs don't help. At the start of the season they were clamping down harder on descent. Once this becomes the norm on the telly there will be a change in the parks.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
I strongly believe the Premier League refs don't help. At the start of the season they were clamping down harder on descent. Once this becomes the norm on the telly there will be a change in the parks.

Dissent?

Or diving?
one touch footie
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to hear the opinion and comment from "Josefk" as his boys are involved with refereeing.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refs will get decisions wrong at all levels, not because of incompetence or bias but because it will always be impossible to always get it right, not least because it can be very subjective... armchair "expert" pundits with the benefit of advanced technology can still hold diametrically opposing views of incidents that they have analysed to death in minute detail...

dontknow

...the lower down the scale you go, the likelihood is that standards will drop accordingly... yet not very skilfull players fail to adjust their expectations to suit their status... decisions won't always go in your favour... it's gonna happen... get over it..!
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many misplaced passes does a player make in a game - they are mistakes although some do not lead to game changing moments. Referees are very much in the same predicatment although every wrong foul is looked at in microscopic detail - unlike the mis timed tackle that leads to the foul (or deliberate foul)

Referees are similar. My son has just started out on this course and I can only hope that he makes less mistakes in a game than a player.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant wrote:
My son has just started out on this course and I can only hope that he makes less mistakes in a game than a player.

God help him... cos the thing he is about to find out Ant, is that even when a ref gets it absolutely right, there will be at least 11 players on the penalised side, who are fairly convinced that he hasn't..!

Bang on cue: Video referees: FA wants to use technology in next season's FA Cup
It still remains an individual subjective decision... and not a great deal of comfort to the poor bugger in charge of keeping order between two pub teams on a rainy Sunday in a park field... no video for them, but they will be the guinea pigs for sin-bins & rolling substitutes.

Quote:
The Football Association wants to test a video assistant referee system from the third round of next year's FA Cup.

The announcement came at the annual meeting of the International Football Association Board (Ifab) on Friday.

The Ifab are also reviewing the order teams take penalty shoot-outs, as there is a "clear advantage" to going first.

The meeting also confirmed that clubs will be allowed to use a fourth substitute during extra time from the quarter-finals of this season's FA Cup.

Proposals for sin-bins for yellow-card offences and rolling substitutions at lower levels of football, to be introduced from June, were also approved at the Wembley meeting.

It is a move to "encourage more people to take part" in youth and amateur leagues.

Ifab is made up of Fifa and the four British home associations - the FAs of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - and is responsible for making the final decision on law changes.
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the young ref on Tv probably about January, and he was very articulate and put across his point well.

At the time I saw him he had contacted the FA but not had any reply, which he was not impressed with.

Match officials get a lot more respect in other sports, when do you ever see dissent in Rugby, Boxing, Cricket, etc.... ( hardly ever )

Respect is a dying skill in football, and sadly general society.

Good point raised , as always Thad salut
josefk
First Team
First Team

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to anyone withdrawing their refereeing services. The Respect campaign is an absolute joke and Refs are constantly let down by county disciplinary panels which you wouldn't let judge a baking competition.

I'd heard, obviously wrongly, that the strike wasn't going ahead as the County FA had met with the lad in question and promises made.

To back that lad up, who'd been headbutted and had that witnessed by a ref on another adjacent pitch only to have the disciplinary panel give the verdict of not proven, there was another case highlighted this week about how useless disciplinary panels are.

A Ref had been accused of making a racially abusive comment to a player whilst showing that player a second yellow and dismissing him from the field. There was nobody else within earshot at the time of the allegation. Panel found on balance of probability that it had happened and disciplined the Ref. Strangely my old colleague, David Crick from Surrey FA, took up the case and got the ref to appeal and a barrister was paid to represent. Appeal found in favour of the ref. Apart from clearing your name why would you want to continue after that?

The disciplinary panels are not fit for purpose, simple as that.

The video technology was the one law change they couldn't get through last season in time, not surprising when they made 95 other changes. Another move away from one set of laws for the game but others will bleat that it's necessary as the great money god is at stake if a decision doesn't go a teams way. Nothing to do with 11 players on a team playing for 90 minutes and being useless for most of that time.

Respect isn't dying in football, it's dead. It's so far out of the game that it's even passed the rotting corpse level and is now just a skeleton in the changing room.

Had some "respect" last Thursday night when my lad sent one off after he'd awarded a penalty and the player gave abuse to his assistant who'd initially signaled the penalty. Apparently, according to the Einsteins in the crowd it was just a bit of banter. Abuse has become normalised within the idiot community.

Ant made a fair point with regards his lad and I assure him that whilst his lad will make some errors, the percentage of decisions that will be correct will be far higher than any percentage that any player will have on a strike rate that he referees. I do wish him well in reffing, it can be fun sometimes. My middle lad who's only started reffing this season had one player last week take a corner but missed the ball and hoofed the corner flag out of the ground instead, those moments are priceless but not entirely sure him laughing helped the situation. Laughing
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josefk wrote:
My middle lad who's only started reffing this season had one player last week take a corner but missed the ball and hoofed the corner flag out of the ground instead, those moments are priceless but not entirely sure him laughing helped the situation. Laughing

That is the root of the entire issue Josef... it has all become far too serious... I know this is considered sacrilege, but hey-ho it is only a game. Rolling Eyes
seano
First Team
First Team

Topics: 27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
josefk wrote:
My middle lad who's only started reffing this season had one player last week take a corner but missed the ball and hoofed the corner flag out of the ground instead, those moments are priceless but not entirely sure him laughing helped the situation. Laughing

That is the root of the entire issue Josef... it has all become far too serious... I know this is considered sacrilege, but hey-ho it is only a game. Rolling Eyes

Burn him!!!!

On a serious note that's why I stopped playing 11aside at 12 years old. One evening after training we had a Q&A session. One question was something along the lines of "are you upset if we lose" myself and one other were the only ones to say no, my reasoning being... Its only a game. Anyway we spent the next 6 weeks being vilified in training if people weren't taking things seriously enough and I went from being a regular starter to being on the bench. Around this time I got a fairly serious injury that had me out for a couple of months and barring a bit of fun with my mates in our 6th form second 11 (possibly the worst team in history... But also the most fun) I've never played or missed playing 11 aside since.

If that's how 12 year olds get treated then god help the referee
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very widespread on news not sure why media not covering but hang on its not premier league. FA too concerned keep clubs that pay in happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: