CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Exeter City matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
Chopping and changing the team and setting them up differently every other week has been Dermott Drummy's biggest mistake.
Far to many games have seen the players look disjointed,unsure,nervous and not believing in what they've been asked to do by their manager and coaching staff.
I hear DD is a very good coach,maybe he is,but I can't say I've seen the evidence myself.

I thought his substitutions were poor.

Kaby was most industrious player and he took him off and left Mr Slow Motion Henderson on instead. We were incredibly lop-sided by

We have a half-decent team, I don't know why aren't doing better. We definitely won't go down though.

I agree we won't go down but I will take a keen interest where we finish and how many points we end up with.Wonder what the target was at the start of the season in the owners ambitions for the team this season.?Mark Yates was sacked for failing to reach the standard set by Mr Eren.If we slip toward the relegation places and crowds desert because of poor matches then I wonder if we're see the ruthless side of our owner show itself oncemore.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
Chopping and changing the team and setting them up differently every other week has been Dermott Drummy's biggest mistake.
Far to many games have seen the players look disjointed,unsure,nervous and not believing in what they've been asked to do by their manager and coaching staff.
I hear DD is a very good coach,maybe he is,but I can't say I've seen the evidence myself.

I thought his substitutions were poor.

Kaby was most industrious player and he took him off and left Mr Slow Motion Henderson on instead. We were incredibly lop-sided by

We have a half-decent team, I don't know why aren't doing better. We definitely won't go down though.

I agree we won't go down but I will take a keen interest where we finish and how many points we end up with.Wonder what the target was at the start of the season in the owners ambitions for the team this season.?Mark Yates was sacked for failing to reach the standard set by Mr Eren.If we slip toward the relegation places and crowds desert because of poor matches then I wonder if we're see the ruthless side of our owner show itself oncemore.

I thought DD was lined up by the new owners some time before. Although MY made it easy by getting hammered every week under Eren's ownership.

I would say the most likely target this season was consolidation (weren't we favourites to get relegated?) and I am confident we will end up comfortably clear of relegation. Although it won't do much for our support if home results carry on as they are.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
I thought DD was lined up by the new owners some time before. Although MY made it easy by getting hammered every week under Eren's ownership..

DD advised the owners before they arrived and was likely always earmarked to spearhead the vision of the owner's policy of continual improvement. Taking over from Yates that would include delivering a better style in addition to results.

But the owners are not looking for a quick fix and I suspect DD has met the criteria they set for this season, but they will be asking for more positive consistency on the field next season... cos the owner will want to maintain the goodwill of fans.

In fact, this season the entire staff will be judged on how successful the club have been at establishing the foundations for a "built to last" operation.
Simon
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Simon wrote:
I thought DD was lined up by the new owners some time before. Although MY made it easy by getting hammered every week under Eren's ownership..

DD advised the owners before they arrived and was likely always earmarked to spearhead the vision of the owner's policy of continual improvement. Taking over from Yates that would include delivering a better style in addition to results.

But the owners are not looking for a quick fix and I suspect DD has met the criteria they set for this season, but they will be asking for more positive consistency on the field next season... cos the owner will want to maintain the goodwill of fans.

In fact, this season the entire staff will be judged on how successful the club have been at establishing the foundations for a "built to last" operation.

That makes sense to me. Consolidation this season, top 10 next season and promotion after 3 years.

I think a lot of good work has gone on, off the field things feel a lot more positive, and compared to MY's lump it tactics the football is better too. But as you say we need more consistency.
allanp
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 43

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I am getting increasingly frustrated with DDs cautious tactics. Only one up front in home matches and too much sideways passing in midfield.

Barcelona we ain't !!

I would like to see us press the opposition more. Matches at the Broadfield are getting boring and no wonder crowds are falling away.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make the point that personnel changes during matches do not radically change the style of play and the loss of Matt Harrold is a contributory factor in that equation, he gives us something different.... can't help feeling that alongside Collins they would keep three - possibly four - defenders occupied.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a reasonably solid start for a team that was looking a decent bet for the Conference.
pedlar
First Team
First Team

Topics: 206

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
thad wrote:
Simon wrote:

That makes sense to me. Consolidation this season, top 10 next season and promotion after 3 years.

I think a lot of good work has gone on, off the field things feel a lot more positive, and compared to MY's lump it tactics the football is better too. But as you say we need more consistency.

The only way to achieve this top finish next season is for the owner to increase the budget to get the quality of players to do this. Winning matches will get the floating fans interested again.

We are where we are in terms of this years budget. Its a bottom 8 budget.

I think we need a clearout of players as this current bunch will not get a top 10 finish. I would expect at least 6 to 8 going.

This season has been a massive learning curve for DD and he reckonise that we are short of quality players. As long as we have progression year on year on the pitch, I think most supporters will take that.
Red Army
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
thad wrote:
Simon wrote:

This. We desperately need consolidation. it would be utterly moronic for Drummy to learn his trade of managing a team, admittedly making some mistakes on the way, and not reap the rewards of his experience in later seasons.

I sincerely hope the owners don't read some of the utter crap that gets posted on here and get sucked into the whole 'sack the manager every season if we're not top of the league, winning every game playing like Barcelona' brigade. In the 10 + years I've been watching Crawley they have always been about and I'm sure they will be for another 10. Fortunately I think we have owners with a bit more vision, but we shall see.
Wodin
First Team
First Team

Topics: 53

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The style of football has been better, but bringing in sideways Henderson and not getting in real full backs leave us open.....also feel midfield play too deep when we are attacked
srn151161
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in a chicken and egg situation. Without investing in the team we will not have entertaining games to bring the fans back. Against Exeter we looked a side void of ideas and hence the game was as dull as dishwater. Next season we have to build a team that can at least challenge teams like Exeter. This current team will not do that. But has Dermot done enough to give the owners the confidence to invest in him.

I am not sure. He is a lovely man and I am sure he will manage at a higher level but not sure he is a division 2 manager..
Simon
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have confidence in DD. Of course operating in the bargain bucket market it was inevitable that not all his signings would work.

In the summer we need to strengthen without any doubt.

DD needs to keep the core of the squad, and move on the fringe players. I would expect that come the summer then Blackman, Arthur, Garnett, Banton, Harrold, Tajbaksh and Watt will all be released. Flapper as well if we can find a taker. Jury out on Bawling, Clifford and Henderson. That will free up budget.

That gives us a core of Morris, Young, McNerney, Connolly, Yorweth, Lelan, Smith, Payne, Cox, Djalo, Collins, Murphy (possibly), Roberts, Boldewijn. To me that is the nucleus of a squad good enough for the top 10.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
Personally I have confidence in DD. Of course operating in the bargain bucket market it was inevitable that not all his signings would work.

In the summer we need to strengthen without any doubt.

DD needs to keep the core of the squad, and move on the fringe players. I would expect that come the summer then Blackman, Arthur, Garnett, Banton, Harrold, Tajbaksh and Watt will all be released. Flapper as well if we can find a taker. Jury out on Bawling, Clifford and Henderson. That will free up budget.

That gives us a core of Morris, Young, McNerney, Connolly, Yorweth, Lelan, Smith, Payne, Cox, Djalo, Collins, Murphy (possibly), Roberts, Boldewijn. To me that is the nucleus of a squad good enough for the top 10.

Yep, agree.
backofthenet
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 421

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srn151161 wrote:
Next season we have to build a team that can at least challenge teams like Exeter.

We challenged them earlier in the season ok, and we play away ok recently.
ElTel
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wodin wrote:
The style of football has been better, but bringing in sideways Henderson and not getting in real full backs leave us open.....also feel midfield play too deep when we are attacked
Henderson rarely misses a pass and seems much more committed than when he was last with us.Collins is alone up front with two or three defenders our two wide players are a yard in from the touchline with the main task of supporting the full backs so who are these defence splitting forward passes supposed to go to?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: