CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Exeter City matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomasfrances1
Youth team
Youth team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brief thoughts on yesterday...

I felt first half we were ok, and more than a match for Exeter. We tried to play the way Dermot has wanted us to play, and Henderson was important in that. In playing him there though, with Kaby, Smith is forced into a number 10 role, which I just don't think suits him.

Second half, they started obviously better, got the goal and the game was then lost. I actually think going to two up front, just meant we were too direct, and lost how we were trying to play.

We clearly need a left back, and I'd personally to negate that, like to see us go back to three at the back, probably till the end of the season now.

Posted the same on the Facebook group, but nobody seems to have debate on there, in all honesty.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
It feels a bit three points forward, three points back at the moment... but interestingly the comments about Saturdays win mentioned such words as "spirit" & "fight"... why would those qualities suddenly disappear when we play at home... makes no sense whatsoever...?

scratch

Were we pressed on Saturday the way we were last night by Exeter?
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasfrances1 wrote:

I felt first half we were ok, and more than a match for Exeter. We tried to play the way Dermot has wanted us to play, and Henderson was important in that. In playing him there though, with Kaby, Smith is forced into a number 10 role, which I just don't think suits him.

Second half, they started obviously better, got the goal and the game was then lost. I actually think going to two up front, just meant we were too direct, and lost how we were trying to play.

We clearly need a left back, and I'd personally to negate that, like to see us go back to three at the back, probably till the end of the season now.

Posted the same on the Facebook group, but nobody seems to have debate on there, in all honesty.

Totally with you on three at the back. We've got three really good centre backs and have played well with it this season. My XI:

Morris
Connolly McNerney Yorwerth
Young Djalo Smith Payne Roberts
Collins Boldewijn
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
Ian wrote:
Phil B wrote:
Sussex Boy wrote:
0-2 68 mins

Relegation battle looms

We are where we were before the game started - 13 pts above the relegation zone.

We are better off than when we started as Leyton Orient now have one less game in which to make up the gap.

Hope that helps.

I expect Mr B is just parodying the d1ckheads though Laughing

Plus their goal difference worsened by three compared to our two.

Did it?

Did you leave early?
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Ian wrote:
Phil B wrote:
Sussex Boy wrote:
0-2 68 mins

Relegation battle looms

We are where we were before the game started - 13 pts above the relegation zone.

We are better off than when we started as Leyton Orient now have one less game in which to make up the gap.

Hope that helps.

I expect Mr B is just parodying the d1ckheads though Laughing

Plus their goal difference worsened by three compared to our two.

Did it?

Did you leave early?

Ah yeah, we scored.

Thanks for making my point even more concrete! You're the best.
ElTel
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure plenty will disagree but I thought Blackman got forward and got in more decent crosses than Cox and Enzio put together, maybe we should play him further up the field as an aggressive naturally left sided wide man with Yorwerth at left back.
far2jammy
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadfield Dave wrote:
Odd game that. First half I thought we were pretty good. Exeter looked very ordinary and I expected a draw at the very least. Problem was that Exeter came out in the second half and tried a bit, which has always been our achilles heel. Teams that try to beat us are the worst.

Two soft goals against and all of a sudden we revert back to the deer in the headlights that we were against Morecambe. A late rally made it worthwhile staying until the end, but the fact that less than 1500 home fans showed up tonight (I think) was more than just the cold and the Brighton game. Crawley aren't giving anyone any reason to come and watch them out of anything other than loyalty.

That said there were some decent individual performances tonight. Connolly and McNerney were good, Henderson had his best game I can remember for us (but that's not saying much), and Enzio showed a bit of thrust for the first time in a long time. The issue seems to be knitting it all together as a team.

Not expecting anything out of our next few games, but would like to see Drummy try something new. The midfield three of Smith, Kaby and Henderson clearly does not work in home games, and Collins is looking more isolated than Chuck Noland. Play Murphy with him from the start and drop Kaby. Play Payne and Smith as a two and allow Cox and Enzio to come inside more. It feels like watching a Subbuteo table at times seeing those two stick so rigidly to the wings.

Better needed from all concerned.

Good post agree with that we had the better chances in the first half. Would add I thought Kaby was unlucky to be taken off.
John The Gas
Coach
Coach

Topics: 85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again, we've had the same tales of woe from our man leading the charge. A nice man, yes. The strange thing is that defeat doesn't seem to faze or hurt him!!

We have a team that are just content to just turn up and stroll around the park and collect their wages. I have seen more effort with a will to win at the local park on a Sunday morning.

The top four all have to visit The Checkatrade yet and I envisage we take no points.
By contrast, we have the bottom two sides to play and they could be playing for survival. Possibly nothing from these two as well.
It really is time for DD to become Mr Nasty and instill a change of tactics and get his Team to battle, rather than submit and wave the white flag.

JTG
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasfrances1 wrote:

Totally with you on three at the back. We've got three really good centre backs and have played well with it this season. My XI:

Morris
Collins Boldewijn

Almost the same as the team I'd go for:

MORRIS
CONNOLLY McNERNEY YORWERTH
YOUNG SMITH DJALO PAYNE BOLDEWIJN
COLLINS COX
Wodin
First Team
First Team

Topics: 53

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both teams look fine....the key for me is no Blackman ( who can be a defensive liability) and no Henderson ( just don't get him...non productive passes, either sideways or back)
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really we have the makings of a good team but it's about time some players started putting in a shift.

Dean Cox has been a bit disappointing from my perspective. Enzio seems to go several games without doing anything. Roberts hasn't shown much of his early season form etc.

Henderson has a great left peg provided you need to go sideways or backwards, a poor man's Ray Wilkins really. No cutting edge at all.

Personally I have my doubts over Yorwerth too. Not a left back, makes too many mistakes at CB, seems to get booked almost every game etc.

If we play one up front then Collins is isolated, if we play 2 then the midfield is too weak.

Morris, Connolly, McNerney, Smith, and Collins are guaranteed starters. The rest for me are playing for places and could be improved on, however on gates of 1,800 it will need some smart wheeling and dealing,
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
Thomasfrances1 wrote:

Morris
Collins Boldewijn

Almost the same as the team I'd go for:

MORRIS
CONNOLLY McNERNEY YORWERTH
YOUNG SMITH DJALO PAYNE BOLDEWIJN
COLLINS COX

Roberts or Cox was the hardest decision. Both have blown hot and cold but I just think Roberts has done a little more. I also thought that when Enzio has played through the middle in a free role he's looked really good.

Collins definitely needs support upfront. Works his socks off every game but can't do it all.
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopping and changing the team and setting them up differently every other week has been Dermott Drummy's biggest mistake.
Far to many games have seen the players look disjointed,unsure,nervous and not believing in what they've been asked to do by their manager and coaching staff.
I hear DD is a very good coach,maybe he is,but I can't say I've seen the evidence myself.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
Chopping and changing the team and setting them up differently every other week has been Dermott Drummy's biggest mistake.
Far to many games have seen the players look disjointed,unsure,nervous and not believing in what they've been asked to do by their manager and coaching staff.
I hear DD is a very good coach,maybe he is,but I can't say I've seen the evidence myself.

I thought his substitutions were poor.

Kaby was most industrious player and he took him off and left Mr Slow Motion Henderson on instead. We were incredibly lop-sided by the end.

We have a half-decent team, I don't know why aren't doing better. We definitely won't go down though.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Chopping and changing the team? Apart from injuries (Lelan) and switching Blackman and Yorwerth I thought we had virtually the same team for the last 6 games.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: