CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Stevenage matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Army
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
thad wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
Good job they didn't turn up today really.If they had you'd never see them again!!!!

I agree, even if we cannot string decent moves together, the minimum that fans expect is to compete for the ball and disrupt the opposition, more than the result it is that lack of fight that drives folks away.

I was in the pub before the game and spoke to two 19 year olds that I know .They were going because they were given tickets.They went with 4 others who go now and then to matches, so were persuaded by their mates to miss the rugby on the TV and go to football.I saw them again after the match in the pub and they all left at half time because the football was so poor.I said you should have stuck it out for the second half. Was it better then the first half?i said it was fantastic,if you supported Stevenage.But they were right,it didn't get any better, it just got worse.i know it's only one match but the damage games like that do can do in attracting and keeping new support can't be underestimated.

All of what you say is true however it's just reality of life in these leagues that the football is *beep* most of time, regardless of who you support. You're not going to have fast, exciting free flowing football every week in this league for any team.

Unless you have an historically big support like the Lutons, Plymouths, Portsmouths of this world you are always going to struggle to attract floating fans, that's just life it's not a uniquely Crawley problem.

The Hartlepool initiative was never going to work miracles overnight however if 500 of those 2000 return once more across the season, a hundred of those come back a few times more, maybe one or two get hooked and get season tickets; it can be deeemed to have been a success. Incremental progress is always going to be the key.
ElTel
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the penalty and the shot from the woeful Enzio that hit the woodwork did we have another shot on goal.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTel wrote:
Apart from the penalty and the shot from the woeful Enzio that hit the woodwork did we have another shot on goal.

When we made openings we seemed to want just one more pass... Cox got the ball in space in the area and chose to cross it, what is wrong with trying a shot..?

I think the essential problem was that Payne & Smith were huffing and puffing but got overrun too easily and everything went wrong from there.

I'd like to see Kaby given a run-out to try and add a spot of aggression in that crucial area where it was lacking.
Tommy D
Trainee
Trainee

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why Kaby seems to be so out of favour. Was crying out for someone to win a few tackles in the middle to get us on the front foot as Payne and Smith couldn't get any control. Guess we don't know what happens during the week in training.

Agree too many playing out of position in the new system which came about due to the lack of a decent left back. Haven't addressed that in transfer window so either bite the bullet and put Blackman back in or carry on with new formation and hope players start adapting better. Either not ideal.
one touch footie
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone sat in the West Stand yesterday (or closer than me), possibly help me out.? Was Mersin our number two keeper sat in the dugout, or was he sat on a stool slightly along from it.? Couldn't see clearly from the East stand but the answer could be amusing & slightly worrying.
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one touch footie wrote:
Could someone sat in the West Stand yesterday (or closer than me), possibly help me out.? Was Mersin our number two keeper sat in the dugout, or was he sat on a stool slightly along from it.? Couldn't see clearly from the East stand but the answer could be amusing & slightly worrying.

He's 6 ft 5, he probably doesn't fit in the dugout.
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy D wrote:
Not sure why Kaby seems to be so out of favour. Was crying out for someone to win a few tackles in the middle to get us on the front foot as Payne and Smith couldn't get any control. Guess we don't know what happens during the week in training.

But it's what happens on the pitch that's important. Our midfield got overrun yesterday. As you say, it was crying out for Kaby in the middle. Not sure why DD didn't see that. He doesn't appear to be a very reactive manager. Often his substitutions don't make sense, or seem to address the problems on the pitch. And game to game we are still seeing the same tactics and approach whether it worked last time out or not. He's a good coach no doubt, but he needs to have his game head on a lot more. We won't go down, but anyone who thinks we will make the play-offs is kidding themselves.
ElTel
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DDs tactic of keeping the wide players hugging the line even when the opposition is attacking the other side and not tucking in means Smith and Payne have a huge area to cover.l would like to see Kaby in the Billy Clifford role letting Cox go where he's best out wide and try Roberts up the middle he is more aggressive, better in the air and a better ball carrier than Enzio.
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy D wrote:

Agree too many playing out of position in the new system which came about due to the lack of a decent left back.

Spot on, and I was saying as much to Thad after the game yesterday. We need Roberts further forward where he can really get at the opposition rather than spending half his time funnelling back, especially if he is going to play passes from one corner of our own penalty box to the other, like early on yesterday. Shocked I'm not generally a fan of the three at the back if it simply means stringing three centre halves in a line and Stevenage were very good at exploiting the space this allowed them. It was only some woeful finishing on their part which allowed us to go in at half time in the lead. On paper we had a strong looking side yesterday but we were comprehensively outplayed, although I thought Lelan looked a good addition to the squad. It needs a rethink... or a left back!
Hickmott Senior
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very impressed with Lelan, particularly some of his passing and his composure
His MOM award was fair, although it came in the context of many poor performances by his colleagues
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hickmott Senior wrote:
I was very impressed with Lelan, particularly some of his passing and his composure
His MOM award was fair, although it came in the context of many poor performances by his colleagues

He was OK - no one really impressed yesterday. The best player on the pitch was the Stevenage no 11 (Pett) who linked up play well. They looked more cohesive as the game on. It probably helps that the core of their side has been together longer than ours. We do need to start picking up points to avoid looking nervously over our shoulders.

I know Drummy is often criticised for playing one up front. I am not against this ON OCCASION. The key is tactical flexibility and adapting to situations and that is where we need to improve.
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
Tommy D wrote:

But it's what happens on the pitch that's important. Our midfield got overrun yesterday. As you say, it was crying out for Kaby in the middle. Not sure why DD didn't see that. He doesn't appear to be a very reactive manager...

Needs to be more proactive than anything else. Payne does seem to be carrying a few pounds as another poster said earlier and seems to be a more skilful version of Simon Walton. It's a Keith Keane type of destructive midfielder we are missing.

We also need to get Dean Cox into games more which means playing him in his proper position. I don't think he has been helped by lack of game time earlier in the season though. Enzio didn't have a great game butdoes offer something different.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hickmott Senior wrote:
ditto everything you have said. Spot on.
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hickmott Senior wrote:

Fully agree, he looked so comfortable and composed. A good signing from what I've seen so far !
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridgesboy79 wrote:
Payne does seem to be carrying a few pounds as another poster said earlier and seems to be a more skilful version of Simon Walton. It's a Keith Keane type of destructive midfielder we are missing.

Payne almost gave away a goal in the first minute with a suicide pass across his own 18 yard line.

I would have Djalo in for him next game. We do indeed need a Keane type to anchor the midfield. Far too much for Smith to do yesterday with Cox, Roberts and Payne all passengers.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: