CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Olympics 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics 2016 Reply with quote

nemo wrote:
thad wrote:
Maidenbower Millionaire wrote:
Stuart of Shildon wrote:
Well done to Bradley Wiggins a fantastic achievement.

hello2 hello2

Sir Bradley !!!

Finest cyclist to come out of Belgium since Eddy Merckx...! Wink

Calling Lucien van Impe, Freddie Maertens and Tom Boonen to the Off Topic board

I suppose you also think Chris Froome isn't the best cyclist ever to come out of Africa Cool
nemo
Coach
Coach

Topics: 81

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics 2016 Reply with quote

thad wrote:
nemo wrote:
thad wrote:
Stuart of Shildon wrote:

hello2 hello2

Sir Bradley !!!

I suppose you also think Chris Froome isn't the best cyclist ever to come out of Africa Cool

If you go back far enough we're all out of Africa Laughing
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics 2016 Reply with quote

nemo wrote:
thad wrote:
nemo wrote:
thad wrote:
Stuart of Shildon wrote:

hello2 hello2

Sir Bradley !!!

If you go back far enough we're all out of Africa Laughing

No need...
1985 Chris Froome OBE born in Nairobi Kenya, home of the human species...
1980 Sir Bradley Wiggins born in Ghent Belgium, home of cycling..!
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics 2016 Reply with quote

thad wrote:
No need...

Yep, a couple of British greats, along with the likes of Zola Budd, Lennox Lewis, Basil D'olivera.......
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics 2016 Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
thad wrote:
No need...

Yep, a couple of British greats, along with the likes of Zola Budd, Lennox Lewis, Basil D'olivera.......

Lets just stick to cyclists.. I could also have mentioned..
1985 Mark Cavendish MBE born in Douglas, Isle of Man... which is not part of Great Britain and under law is not even part of the United Kingdom..!

There's multiculturalism for you Sussex Boy Cool

Pleased he got a medal though, can you imagine being him at the previous Olympics, world number one, but the only cyclist in the team not to have a bit of metal dangling from their neck...?

Last edited by thad on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Sussex Boy wrote:
I'm my opinion the Olympics had been hijacked since the 2008 games in China by the left wing to promote multiculturalism.....to be honest I'm sick and tired of that stuff being rammed down my throat!!!!!

The Olympics as we know them... with the torch relay and grand staged opening ceremonies.. were devised by Dr Joseph Goebbels for the 1936 games in Berlin...

..no-one ever described him as a left-wing proponent of multiculturalism... Laughing

I bet a black, Muslim immigrant winning gold medals for GB got you right hot under the collar!

Now go watch an episode of the Good Life with a nice cup of English breakfast to calm yourself.
Sussex Boy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest BICH I watched the dumbusters whilst eating fish and chips Wink
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
If anyone couldn't get into the Olympics after yesterday they're obviously some kind of mug.

The Olympics is all about mugs... if you believe in it's supposed "values" then it doesn't sit comfortably with the reality... it has sold its soul... is 2 weeks of half-decent sport really worth the previous (at least) 3 years and 50 weeks of politics, drugs, cheats, corruption and money being squandered.. of course not...!

For the record - I've no problem with sporting excellence... enjoy it in fact... I also actually appreciate a decent trier too... I like "GB" being in 2nd place in the medals - in fact, anywhere ahead of the Aussies will do - as at Beijing it shows the benefit of funds going to competitors rather than wasteful vanity promotional projects in London.

But I just hate all the Olympic-nazi-bollix and the way it monopolises sports and reduces it all to a four-year cycle of interest in things you never even knew existed, but should do... I also don't know why in this day & age it still has to have stadiums & scheduling designed on a basis that creates anarchy when the competitions are taking place...

...lets have a more homely smaller-scale competition every summer and share it around without the need for political shenanigans, mega-budgets and global corporations and get it back to the simple principles it claims to represent, but quite clearly doesn't...!

I also think the BBC are on a decent jolly and far too obsessed with flag-waving and the big names... the other night I was told about "Jess & Kat" as if I was on first name terms with them... but I do like Helen Skelton, she can light my torch anytime..!

I think you've pretty much copy and pasted your anti-Olympic stuff from 2012. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.

As a card carrying leftie there are plenty of things that are wrong with the Olympics that I would like to change. It's certainly not the perfect event on the organisational side.

But, if you strip it down and just enjoy it for the sport. Then it's a great event. Certainly many of the British athletes don't do it for money and it's wonderful to see their dedication come to fruition. Someone like Mo Farah is just a good ambassador for the human race.

I think there are two sides to the Olympics, but don't let its imperfections spoil your enjoyment of great, competitive sport.
Stuart of Shildon
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics 2016 Reply with quote

A very good Olympics so far especially for GB, and also for inspiring people to take up sport.
nemo
Coach
Coach

Topics: 81

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics 2016 Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
thad wrote:
No need...

Difference being parentage Wiggo is half British half Aussie stock whilst I believe Froome is British stock on both sides they're only Belgian/Kenyan by circumstance - Wiggo in particular as his Dad was riding for a Belgian based team when Wiggo was born....its a global village y'know Laughing
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two sides to the Olympics, but don't let its imperfections spoil your enjoyment of great, competitive sport.

Actually BICH, I don't... I really enjoy it...

...and I'm one of the few who genuinely appreciate some of those minority sports... even dressage (I actually went to the World Championships when they were held at Goodwood)... but unfortunately it is virtually impossible to escape or ignore all of the other nonsense, particularly as the BBC don't seem to have a plan B other than plucky union flag waving and euphoric grannies.

I've always ranted about the Olympics... ask my Mum... she attended every day of the 1948 games & went on a VIP jolly to the Sydney opening ceremony & my siblings treated her to a day of athletics at the last London games, which she loved... I refused to endorse this step and took her for a cheap meal instead...

..but my 2012 rants were more vitriolic... cos they had a "waste of public funds" focus too... and in many ways Rio is showing that one of the many groups who got a bad deal out of London 2012 were the competitors...

..and what a lost opportunity... we could have redeveloped Stratford at a 3rd of the cost, without a white elephant for the benefit of West Ham.... and more sadly, we missed the chance to be celebrating that better-funded sporting success in Paris..!

C'mon BICH, you'd have loved that. Wink
John The Gas
Coach
Coach

Topics: 85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
If anyone couldn't get into the Olympics after yesterday they're obviously some kind of mug.

The Olympics is all about mugs... if you believe in it's supposed "values" then it doesn't sit comfortably with the reality... it has sold its soul... is 2 weeks of half-decent sport really worth the previous (at least) 3 years and 50 weeks of politics, drugs, cheats, corruption and money being squandered.. of course not...!

For the record - I've no problem with sporting excellence... enjoy it in fact... I also actually appreciate a decent trier too... I like "GB" being in 2nd place in the medals - in fact, anywhere ahead of the Aussies will do - as at Beijing it shows the benefit of funds going to competitors rather than wasteful vanity promotional projects in London.

But I just hate all the Olympic-nazi-bollix and the way it monopolises sports and reduces it all to a four-year cycle of interest in things you never even knew existed, but should do... I also don't know why in this day & age it still has to have stadiums & scheduling designed on a basis that creates anarchy when the competitions are taking place...

...lets have a more homely smaller-scale competition every summer and share it around without the need for political shenanigans, mega-budgets and global corporations and get it back to the simple principles it claims to represent, but quite clearly doesn't...!

I also think the BBC are on a decent jolly and far too obsessed with flag-waving and the big names... the other night I was told about "Jess & Kat" as if I was on first name terms with them... but I do like Helen Skelton, she can light my torch anytime..!

C'mon Ant - Defend your Luvvies at the Beeb😂😂😂

JTG
Sussex Boy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the Olympics is all about....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37102355

Not medal tables, multiculturalism or silver spoon fed toffs on bikes.

Well done to that American runner...
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussex Boy wrote:
This is what the Olympics is all about....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37102355

Not medal tables, multiculturalism or silver spoon fed toffs on bikes.

Well done to that American runner...

And that got them into the final..........

So new tactics........ Wink
David R
First Team
First Team

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With talk about a parade for the homecoming athletes, a reward for their brilliant efforts, I suggest if CTFC get promoted this season, a parade down the high street, I will stand outside Troys and wave my large chicken shish (with extra chillie sauce).
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: