CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |


The definitive sack Yates thread..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sulton111
First Team
First Team


Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Last Visit: 15 Jul 2017
Posts: 1557
Topics: 30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Sulton111 wrote:
While he was straddled with players on big money contracts and had little of a budget left he knew this before taking on the job....,

On that point... I have been informed by a highly credible source... that one of the short-listed candidates terminated the interview process very abruptly when they were told the budget and the salary....

..don't kid yourselves - pay attention RR&R - that there was a wide-open field of potential managers prepared to take the job on in the first place..!


that's interesting maybe we are not loaded with cash like a few of us - myself included thought we might be

Thad - i wouldn't expct you to name the manager should you know but were they a high profile candidate?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 16179
Topics: 639

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulton111 wrote:
thad wrote:
Sulton111 wrote:
While he was straddled with players on big money contracts and had little of a budget left he knew this before taking on the job....,

On that point... I have been informed by a highly credible source... that one of the short-listed candidates terminated the interview process very abruptly when they were told the budget and the salary....

..don't kid yourselves - pay attention RR&R - that there was a wide-open field of potential managers prepared to take the job on in the first place..!


that's interesting maybe we are not loaded with cash like a few of us - myself included thought we might be..

That was during the last close season when the squeeze was being put on, it was important that whoever came in knew the financial reality. At least one candidate thought it was mission impossible.... which needs to be considered when assessing the job MY has done.

Sulton111 wrote:
Thad - i wouldn't expct you to name the manager should you know but were they a high profile candidate?

Nothing is decided, they are still in discussions.... but my assessment of the guy they are talking to is... "highly respected" rather than "high profile".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sulton111
First Team
First Team


Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Last Visit: 15 Jul 2017
Posts: 1557
Topics: 30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Sulton111 wrote:
thad wrote:
Sulton111 wrote:
While he was straddled with players on big money contracts and had little of a budget left he knew this before taking on the job....,

On that point... I have been informed by a highly credible source... that one of the short-listed candidates terminated the interview process very abruptly when they were told the budget and the salary....

..don't kid yourselves - pay attention RR&R - that there was a wide-open field of potential managers prepared to take the job on in the first place..!


that's interesting maybe we are not loaded with cash like a few of us - myself included thought we might be..

That was during the last close season when the squeeze was being put on, it was important that whoever came in knew the financial reality. At least one candidate thought it was mission impossible.... which needs to be considered when assessing the job MY has done.

Sulton111 wrote:
Thad - i wouldn't expct you to name the manager should you know but were they a high profile candidate?

Nothing is decided, they are still in discussions.... but my assessment of the guy they are talking to is... "highly respected" rather than "high profile".


cheers Thad it could get quite interesting for us over the summer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 16179
Topics: 639

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulton111 wrote:
thad wrote:
Sulton111 wrote:
Thad - i wouldn't expct you to name the manager should you know but were they a high profile candidate?

Nothing is decided, they are still in discussions.... but my assessment of the guy they are talking to is... "highly respected" rather than "high profile".

cheers Thad it could get quite interesting for us over the summer

Just to clarify further, nothing is a done deal, the role they may have might be more of a D-o-F position which would still potentially leave the coaching positions open. I believe they have a young Turkish fella lined up in their sights possibly to look after the youth setup.

Dunno if any of our new board are paying attention... but if I can be indulged to put in a couple of backroom recommendations:

John Yems did a fantastic job for us in difficult circumstances and left with a feeling of unfinished business... he has done an amazing job in recruiting players for Bournemouth to take them from the depths of League 1 to the top flight and he MUST be worth an approach.

Also Mark Beard did a great job with the youth here and has continued to do so... have a look at what he has achieved in the backwater of Loxwood and his contribution to the Sussex county U18 team making a national final and you will spot a talented man with a lot to offer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
allanp
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Last Visit: 19 Nov 2017
Posts: 578
Topics: 43
Location: The posh part of Crawley !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am open minded about Mark Yates but if Crawley continue to play for the remainder of the season the way we did against Hartlepool then he will have to go.

Now we have a stronger squad I hope we see what they are capable of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 16179
Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allanp wrote:
I am open minded about Mark Yates but if Crawley continue to play for the remainder of the season the way we did against Hartlepool then he will have to go.

Now we have a stronger squad I hope we see what they are capable of.

That seems to reasonably encapsulate it for those who have taken the opportunity to present a viewpoint - it is interesting that others haven't bothered to make a credible case for his removal and significantly no-one has made an argument that it is any sort of immediate imperative.

scratch

We seem to agree that Yates has won the points in difficult circumstances.... but has yet to convince fans that his teams can consistently play the sort of football that will retain and increase attendances... he now has that opportunity in the remaining games ...and for him to take it will require a change of mindset by all parties. Maybe we will all need to be a bit more patient, with less emphasis in our judgement on league position and more on style and attacking intent...?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 15 Jul 2018
Posts: 11231
Topics: 379

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allanp wrote:
I am open minded about Mark Yates but if Crawley continue to play for the remainder of the season the way we did against Hartlepool then he will have to go.

Now we have a stronger squad I hope we see what they are capable of.
Hartlepool was typical of yates defensive tactics! He needs to be sacked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 16179
Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, Red & Red wrote:
allanp wrote:
I am open minded about Mark Yates but if Crawley continue to play for the remainder of the season the way we did against Hartlepool then he will have to go.

Now we have a stronger squad I hope we see what they are capable of.
Hartlepool was typical of yates defensive tactics! He needs to be sacked

Is that the best you've got... a case made simply on one poor game against Hartlepool...? and Newport & Luton were simply aberrations I suppose... as were the 7 points we got from those three matches.

Read the thread... we all actually agree with you that there have been some dire games to watch.. we all agree with you that we'd like to see more positive attacking play...

...we don't seem to agree with you that it amounts to a reasonable compelling argument for sacking him with ten games to go... but it does clearly demonstrate that you do not appear to have the skills to formulate and articulate that particular dialogue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 15 Jul 2018
Posts: 11231
Topics: 379

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
allanp wrote:
I am open minded about Mark Yates but if Crawley continue to play for the remainder of the season the way we did against Hartlepool then he will have to go.

Now we have a stronger squad I hope we see what they are capable of.
Hartlepool was typical of yates defensive tactics! He needs to be sacked

Is that the best you've got... a case made simply on one poor game against Hartlepool...? and Newport & Luton were simply aberrations I suppose... as were the 7 points we got from those three matches.

Read the thread... we all actually agree with you that there have been some dire games to watch.. we all agree with you that we'd like to see more positive attacking play...

...we don't seem to agree with you that it amounts to a reasonable compelling argument for sacking him with ten games to go... but it does clearly demonstrate that you do not appear to have the skills to formulate and articulate that particular dialogue.
fans deserve better than a clown that can just keep the club up; fans are already voting with their feet attendances dropping im far from alone wanting yates sacked. No. Games to go irrelevant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jules59
Squad member
Squad member


Joined: 27 Nov 2013
Last Visit: 15 Jul 2017
Posts: 225
Topics: 1
Location: crawley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see Mark Yates given the opportunity to work with a decent budget ,give him the chance to bring in better players and then judge him.
Not sure if any manager could have done much better with the lack of funds .
in fact I'm sure a number of managers would have taken us down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 01 Dec 2020
Posts: 5728
Topics: 63
Location: DFS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules59 wrote:
I would like to see Mark Yates given the opportunity to work with a decent budget ,give him the chance to bring in better players and then judge him.
Not sure if any manager could have done much better with the lack of funds .
in fact I'm sure a number of managers would have taken us down.

Thanks for writing that for me jules59.
Word for word.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon
Manager
Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 12671
Topics: 380

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
On that point... I have been informed by a highly credible source... that one of the short-listed candidates terminated the interview process very abruptly when they were told the budget and the salary....


I thought that was well known? Michael Dunford told everyone this at the fans forum about 6 months ago.

It wasn't just the budget, it was the amount of budget left to be spent after existing contracts were factored in (I believe it was less than 20%). And the salary was impacted by the fact that we already had a manager on the payroll (John Gregory had a contract for this season).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Last Visit: 22 May 2017
Posts: 1620
Topics: 50

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be an "old school" view but I think someone on a 2 year contract deserves to be judged after 2 years. I would have only sacked him had we been close to relegation. I think that Gregory/Groves would have got us relegated again had they stayed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 16179
Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
I thought that was well known? Michael Dunford told everyone this at the fans forum about 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, circumstances at the time prevented me from attending the fans forum Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red Army
First Team
First Team


Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Last Visit: 08 Jun 2017
Posts: 1389
Topics: 26
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yates is a pragmatist who is achieving minor miracles with tbe budget and players available. He has brought in very astute loan signings all season and seems to have imparted a decent attitude in the squad in spite of limited resources.

If we tried to play like Barcelona every game with the squad at our disposal in this league we would get torn apart every game and be going back down to the Conference - fact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum






This forum is run independently from and has no connection with the Crawley Town Football Club official site
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.


  Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit