CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Sports Personality...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rednose wrote:
BICH - have a look at the list of nominees again, and you'll notice a trend. Most of them are world champions and have beaten the very best in their discipline to become so.

Andy Murray is a very good tennis player, but can only be judged against other tennis players. The fact that there are 4 billion living on this planet is totally irrelevant.

He hasn't won a grand slam this year (that's really what defines a tennis players career), but has won the Davis cup without having to play ANY of the top 10 players in the world - or more importantly, the top 3 who are on another level to every other professional tennis player.

His achievement in winning the Davis cup is the equivalent of Man City winning the FA cup by beating Stoke, West Brom, Norwich, Bournemouth, Mansfield and Woking.

Of course it's relevant that there are 4bn people on the planet. Murray wasn't born the 2nd best player in the world, he worked harder than all but one person to be that. He's better tennis player than you, for example.

My choice would have been Mo Farah, but Murray is a worthy choice.
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Of course it's relevant that there are 4bn people on the planet. Murray wasn't born the 2nd best player in the world, he worked harder than all but one person to be that. He's better tennis player than you, for example.

My choice would have been Mo Farah, but Murray is a worthy choice.[/quote]

The other nominees weren't born 1st in the world at their sport, and unlike Murray have actually won something of substance this year.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rednose wrote:

My choice would have been Mo Farah, but Murray is a worthy choice.[/quote]

The other nominees weren't born 1st in the world at their sport, and unlike Murray have actually won something of substance this year.[/quote]

I would suggest that being the key player in a Davies Cup win is fairly substantial.
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davies cup? Is that the one that LGV and Klitcho play in?

The reality is, the general public only give the slightest *beep* about the Davis cup when GB are doing well in it. They couldn't tell you which other countries have won it in recent years.

Nobody gives a *beep* about how many Davis cups Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Becker, Sampras, Federer etc have won, but they will be remembered for how many slams they won.[/b]
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant wrote:

Personally I would have plumped for Ennis Hill (as she has some personality) and her achievements are as good as any -

Me too, but for entirely different reasons love7 love7 love7 love7
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rednose wrote:
Davies cup? Is that the one that LGV and Klitcho play in?

The reality is, the general public only give the slightest *beep* about the Davis cup when GB are doing well in it. They couldn't tell you which other countries have won it in recent years.

Nobody gives a *beep* about how many Davis cups Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Becker, Sampras, Federer etc have won, but they will be remembered for how many slams they won.[/b]

I accept that on the most part the British public has no interest in the Davis Cup other than when we're winning it, but on the most part the British public has no interest in tennis. Many will claim to be a tennis fan, but then only watch Wimbledon. Just because the British public has no interest or knowledge on the subject doesn't make it any less important in that sporting sphere.

It's the same for the 10,000 metres, 5,000 metres or the heptathlon. Do you think if Britain didn't boast the world and Olympic champions the British public would have any idea who were the champions? Of course they wouldn't.

Without googling it, could you name the men's steeple chase world or Olympic champion? Of course you can't. But if they were British you'd know who they were and who whoever they are they'll be a massive star in their own country.

The biggest sporting stars in this country are by a long way footballers, but in 61 years they've won it 5 times. Track and field athletes have won it 16 times.

Daley Thompson. Great British athlete. Can you name the current pentathlon world and Olympic champion?

Of course you can't.

Does that make his win worthless too?
weststandwatcher
First Team
First Team

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest shock to me on this thread is that no one has commented on the assertion that there are 4 billion people on this planet. I think you will find that the figure is over 7 billion.

I am aware that there are some on here (mentioning no names) who bristle at the suggestion that they might be wrong, so here is an article from an unimpeachable source Laughing

http://www.theguardian.com/env.....-11bn-2100
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weststandwatcher wrote:
The biggest shock to me on this thread is that no one has commented on the assertion that there are 4 billion people on this planet. I think you will find that the figure is over 7 billion.

I am aware that there are some on here (mentioning no names) who bristle at the suggestion that they might be wrong, so here is an article from an unimpeachable source Laughing

http://www.theguardian.com/env.....-11bn-2100

I don't think Dr Thad is contributed to this thread...

But, yes, I'm willing to go with 7bn. It gives 3bn more reasons why my point was correct.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:

Gotta laugh... BICH starts a thread on... er... 'rumours about "LGV" '... and then consistently avoids answering any questions I raise in it... but trumps it by having the temerity to accuse me of not contributing to this very thread... that I initiated...?

scratch
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:

Gotta laugh... BICH starts a thread on... er... 'rumours about "LGV" '... and then consistently avoids answering any questions I raise in it... but trumps it by having the temerity to accuse me of not contributing to this very thread... that I initiated...?

scratch

I've had to call for a bigger net.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Wide Web not big enough for you?

Wink
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BICH - why do you mention Daley Thompson and then ask who the current world and Olympic pentathlon champion is? They're completely different sports. dontknow

As for the current Decathlon champion, yea I do know (but that's not really the point) it's Ashton Eaton.

What IS relevant though is that he had to beat ALL the other top decathletes to become world and Olympic champion.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rednose wrote:
BICH - why do you mention Daley Thompson and then ask who the current world and Olympic pentathlon champion is? They're completely different sports. dontknow

As for the current Decathlon champion, yea I do know (but that's not really the point) it's Ashton Eaton.

What IS relevant though is that he had to beat ALL the other top decathletes to become world and Olympic champion.

Blimey Rednose, I'm going to give you one more chance then I'm going to chat to my cat as I might get a more intelligent dialogue going.

Here's a step by step guide just got you:

1) You rubbished the Davis Cup as not important because the British public don't care about it and only care about it now because Britain won it.

2) At this time the vast majority of British people (without Google) could not name the current world and Olympic decathlon champion.

3) When Daley Thompson was decathlon champion British people lauded him as a sporting great.

4) Just because in general the British public are not informed about the decathlon generally does that make his achievements any less?

5) Just because in general the British public are informed about the Davis Cup generally does that make Andy Murray and the British team's achievements any less?

Get the link now? Good grief. Even if you don't agree and can offer a counter argument that's fine, but not to understand the original point makes me scared you have the vote.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:

scratch

As someone once posted...

Are you sponsored for charity for each keystroke you use?

Happy New Year BICH, enjoy the trip to Pompey.
josefk
First Team
First Team

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
thad wrote:

scratch

As someone once posted...

Are you sponsored for charity for each keystroke you use?

Happy New Year BICH, enjoy the trip to Pompey.

Did you not notice the little shifting of the goalposts in the posts. One says THE BRITISH PUBLIC which represents a whole and when proven that someone knows it is the vast majority.

The bloke is a tool but at least his trip to Pompey allows his socks time to dry out in his bedroom.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: