CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

England v France - 17/11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have deep sympathy with the French and those who lost family and friends in such a shocking and cowardly attack on innocent people.

My U15 lads had a minute's silence before today's game, however I'm not French and like mustaphashot I certainly won't be singing the French national anthem.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its crazy and in end could make mockery of their anthem
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridgesboy79 wrote:
mustaphashot wrote:
I would never ever sing the national anthem of another country under any circumstances. Anyway,I don't remember any solidarity from the French when 7/7 occurred. But of course we could fly the French flag- you know the one- a white cross on a white background. Sorry but I am old and my memory goes back longer than a lot of you.

I never sing ours either, mostly because it is a terrible tune! We have great musicians in this country and can surely do better than that!

Where has it come from that the tune for our national athem is terrible. It's actually pretty good. The words are a bit of a dirge but the tune can hold it's head up high.

As for singing the French National anthem. I think that's the wrong thing to do. Show respect and for gawds sake slap any idiot who boos right in the chops.

Jim Baker
weststandwatcher
First Team
First Team

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mustaphashot wrote:

But of course- some will argue that the French Foreign Legion is one of the bravest fighting forces in the world. True, but you do know why- It is composed entirely of foreigners!

A popular, but inaccurate myth Mustaphashot. The officers have always been exclusively French and the non commissioned ranks are open to French citizens as well.
Phil B
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 51

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, Red & Red wrote:
Its crazy and in end could make mockery of their anthem

We just need to show one thing.

Solidarity.

Surprised that, as a pole, you have never come across the word ...... Confused
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Baker wrote:
bridgesboy79 wrote:
mustaphashot wrote:
I would never ever sing the national anthem of another country under any circumstances. Anyway,I don't remember any solidarity from the French when 7/7 occurred. But of course we could fly the French flag- you know the one- a white cross on a white background. Sorry but I am old and my memory goes back longer than a lot of you.

I never sing ours either, mostly because it is a terrible tune! We have great musicians in this country and can surely do better than that!

Where has it come from that the tune for our national athem is terrible. It's actually pretty good. The words are a bit of a dirge but the tune can hold it's head up high.

As for singing the French National anthem. I think that's the wrong thing to do. Show respect and for gawds sake slap any idiot who boos right in the chops.

Jim Baker

Billy Connolly's take on it (and some well known football faces in the audience).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussex Boy wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4SJv61i6Bo

I probably wouldn't in to be honest, mainly because I dont know the words.
I dont speak French let alone sing it. But I would happily 'hum' along.

Were I going I wouldn't sing, hum or make any other noise, meaning I'd concede a little ground and not boo it as I normally would!
mustaphashot
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 293

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be the case, weststandwatcher, but I once saw a documentary in the cinema years ago that has been repeated several times on television. Any army that allows Phil Silvers, Charles Hawtry, Kenneth Williams, Jim Dale and Peter Butterworth to enlist deserves to get disrespected.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mustaphashot wrote:
Any army that allows Phil Silvers, Charles Hawtry, Kenneth Williams, Jim Dale and Peter Butterworth to enlist deserves to get disrespected.

Click to view this image at its original size
Click on the image to view it at its original size
Zoot Alors..!
Ian wrote:
Were I going I wouldn't sing, hum or make any other noise, meaning I'd concede a little ground and not boo it as I normally would!
My problem is more to do with the fact that rather than let it happen spontaneously, the FA have actively encouraged it.... I hate all football governing bodies and would definitely boo the so-called UEFA anthem... shame cos I think it will be a genuinely poignant moment on Tuesday and really didn't need any contrived gestures by a bunch of doddering self-serving blazers..!
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mustaphashot wrote:
Anyway,I don't remember any solidarity from the French when 7/7 occurred.

Nonsense.

French PM post-7/7:"a tragedy for Great Britain" and "a tragedy for Europe as a whole"

Furthermore, we weren't playing France four days later.

Sorry to put some facts to some inaccurate and casual offhand remarks.
weststandwatcher
First Team
First Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mustaphashot wrote:
That may be the case, weststandwatcher, but I once saw a documentary in the cinema years ago that has been repeated several times on television. Any army that allows Phil Silvers, Charles Hawtry, Kenneth Williams, Jim Dale and Peter Butterworth to enlist deserves to get disrespected.

Laughing Laughing
weststandwatcher
First Team
First Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Sussex Boy wrote:

You are almost a footballing cliché Ian. Laughing

Still...it's good to see you keeping in touch with your inner child. Wink

I will admit to being quite indifferent to national anthems. People take them far too seriously IMHO. I have been know to not even bother standing for the British one.

However, on this occasion, I think I would stand and sing the French national anthem, simply as a sign of solidarity and to let the French people know that we do share their pain. It doesn't make me French and I won't start to wear a beret, honestly.

Sometimes, just sometimes, it is good to stand alongside those we wouldn't usually..fraternise with, and sick a metaphorical 2 fingers up to those who would threaten our freedoms.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, it is precisely because it is unheard of to sing another country's national anthem that makes this gesture so symbolically significant.
Broadfield Dave
First Team
First Team

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weststandwatcher wrote:
Ian wrote:
Sussex Boy wrote:

I will admit to being quite indifferent to national anthems. People take them far too seriously IMHO. I have been know to not even bother standing for the British one.

However, on this occasion, I think I would stand and sing the French national anthem, simply as a sign of solidarity and to let the French people know that we do share their pain. It doesn't make me French and I won't start to wear a beret, honestly.

Sometimes, just sometimes, it is good to stand alongside those we wouldn't usually..fraternise with, and sick a metaphorical 2 fingers up to those who would threaten our freedoms.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, it is precisely because it is unheard of to sing another country's national anthem that makes this gesture so symbolically significant.

Yep, that pretty much nails it.

Can't believe people saying they wouldn't sing it as a matter of principal. It's a ****ing song, you're not swapping passports.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weststandwatcher wrote:

I can't argue with that... but.... wouldn't it be a much stronger symbolic gesture if it were allowed to occur as a natural act of individual choice rather than being prompted by the FA..?
Bianchiboy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weststandwatcher wrote:
Ian wrote:
Sussex Boy wrote:

Well said Weststandwatcher, I could not agree more. In my opinion, for what it is worth, there are some fairly insensitive remarks in this thread considering the brevity of what happened in Paris on Friday night?
Imagine if the atrocities had happened in London (which it so easily could have) and we were playing France the following Tuesday, I am sure many on here would want the French fans to respect or even sing our anthem?
The point is the Marseillaise, along with the French flag, has become a symbol of defiance against terrorism, not just an anthem and a national flag.
I would not expect all the England fans to sing it on Tuesday night (mainly down to the fact that most of them do not speak French or know the words), but I am betting the cheer it gets once it has finished will be one of the loudest ever heard at Wembley?
I followed England home and away for 12 years, and I witnessed my fair share of woeful behaviour by so called England fans, but tomorrow night I think they will make us, and France, proud.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: