CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Swindon Town matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sulton111
First Team
First Team

Topics: 30

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to say that a game like we saw yesterday is the exact reason i keep coming back

at times we looked poor but when we got the ball down and played wow we looked great and was unlucky at the end to not make it 2

yes the midfield is a little lightweight but one addition to what we have will change all that - we are far from perfect at the moment but we are moving in the right direction.

when we gave the ball away we fought hard to win it back, i was very impressed with Dickson ran his socks off for the full 90+ minutes

our keeper has to be the best in the division his shot stopping is fantastic and the through ball to Izale was exceptional - how the hell did we sign him? a master stroke by JG

All in all a very good day at the office 3 wins from 3 with 3 clean sheets the perfect start
AllRed63
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulton111 wrote:
i have to say that a game like we saw yesterday is the exact reason i keep coming back

at times we looked poor but when we got the ball down and played wow we looked great and was unlucky at the end to not make it 2

yes the midfield is a little lightweight but one addition to what we have will change all that - we are far from perfect at the moment but we are moving in the right direction.

when we gave the ball away we fought hard to win it back, i was very impressed with Dickson ran his socks off for the full 90+ minutes

our keeper has to be the best in the division his shot stopping is fantastic and the through ball to Izale was exceptional - how the hell did we sign him? a master stroke by JG

All in all a very good day at the office 3 wins from 3 with 3 clean sheets the perfect start

Well said Sulton - let's face it, after all the upheaval, I don't think we would have been surprised if by this stage we were looking down the barrel of 3 defeats. Enjoy it! JG knows there's still work to be done - have a little faith and let him get on with it!
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some highlights from yesterday. Mainly Swindon efforts, so a few of Jensen's saves. Gwion's smash against the crossbar isn't there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5JySt4q1I
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need to add too much to what was said but I will echo the 'We was lucky' shout.

Our passing was terrible. Just terrible.

I am not having a go at Bradbury here but he was out of position so often in the first 20 minutes it was amazing. If he was a left back I would slaughter him for that performance but as a centre half filling in you can't.

Bradbury drifted towards the centre leaving Dickson with two players to deal with. If Byrne had managed to get some decent crosses in from great positions they worked it could have been a lot worse.

Please, please leave someone up front from the opposition corners. Especially when they are down to ten men. When their keeper went up for that last corner they had one man on the half way line. Put Banya up there they would have have to move at least one more player back negating the keeper going forward. It seems we have tactics and they are set and nothing that happens is allowed to change them.

We are moaning when we've won. How bad do think it would be if we had lost?

Jim Baker
Martin (Peacehaven)
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just watched the highlights I have to say, some great saves by Jenson there and it looks like we robbed 'em. I can't feel sorry for Swindon though, they owe us some points as they've been a bit of a bogey side ever since Di Canio times.
steve leake
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 134

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Baker wrote:
I don't need to add too much to what was said but I will echo the 'We was lucky' shout.

I am not having a go at Bradbury here but he was out of position so often in the first 20 minutes it was amazing. If he was a left back I would slaughter him for that performance but as a centre half filling in you can't.

Bradbury drifted towards the centre leaving Dickson with two players to deal with. If Byrne had managed to get some decent crosses in from great positions they worked it could have been a lot worse.

Please, please leave someone up front from the opposition corners. Especially when they are down to ten men. When their keeper went up for that last corner they had one man on the half way line. Put Banya up there they would have have to move at least one more player back negating the keeper going forward. It seems we have tactics and they are set and nothing that happens is allowed to change them.

Jim Baker
Who's Bradbury Jim?
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperately needed Josh Simpson (and Dannie Bulman for that matter) in midfield, nobody looks as though they have the confidence to pass the ball to a colleague 5-10 yards away, it is just get rid of as quickly and as far as possible whereas Swindon seemed to have masses of time and space.
Brightened up a bit second half with Banya (and to a lesser extent Bawling) but the ludicrous 11 back for there corners is getting farcical and extremely negative, especially when they are down to ten and we should be pressing them not the other way round. I thought with a very good and commanding keeping we would ditch the 11 back and play a sensible man marking game rather than a complete shambles on the edge of our 6 yds box with nobody having room to attack and clear the ball? We have some excellent defenders so why not trust them to do their job and use somebody like the tiny Banya to take away a couple of opposing players?
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with the defending leaving two up yesterday would have taken three of their players out of our box. It's so obvious it defies belief.

They only had 10 players for most of second half but you wouldn't have known it watching instead of keeping the ball and making them work we just fly hacked it up field and gave them it back!

I am not sure it got any better in the second half it was just moderately easier to close 9 men down than when they had their full quota. That and the fact Banya and Bawling are more willing to close down than Henderson and Tomlin.

Really still don't know how we won it if it had been a boxing match the referee would have stopped it for being to one sided.

That said we have 6 points it will be interesting to see what JG does to try and create a midfield for Tuesday night.
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good hard working performence against a decent Swindon team.
The big concern we all have is the midfield.So if we have all spotted the problem then we can be a 100%certain John Gregory has too.
I trust then that 6 games down the line the issue will have been resolved.

Let's hope the 800 fans that were missing Saturday turn up on Tuesday.
Just as a point of interest how many core supporters do we have? Is it about 3000 odd?
The atmosphere seems to be in small pockets around the ground.We have a small group in the West stand sat nearest the Bruce Winield stand that join in the singing.We hear the young kids in the East stand pipe up now and then.
But it's the terrace where most of the singing is started.Its been the left side and middle making the noise,whilst the right side is silent.All rather odd on the right.
Wink
Nick
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
In a word that game was dreadful. boring to watch and frankly how Swindon didn't win it will remain a mystery.

They were outplaying us with 10 men. The back five are decent and they are getting a hell a lot of defending practice. McLeod is doing a stint.

The two central midfield players today were passengers both in attack and defence.

I will say now we will be relegated unless we sign a couple of quality midfield operators.

Our whole approach is to just boot the ball form the back to the front, I don't know whether it's because Gregory realises we are crap in the middle off the park or that's the tactics for the season.

We couldn't keep the ball against 10 men not that we really tried to.

You can talk,about crowds all you want but you can't expect people to pay to watch that rubbish.

Without the keeper who made a string of saves and set up our two best chances with long clearances they would have been out of site.

Well I will continue to watch as I have done for the last 6 seasons as they are my local football team.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Just as a point of interest how many core supporters do we have? Is it about 3000 odd?

Obviously less than 2100. A core supporter to me is someone that attends at least 80% of home matches (or wants to!).
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve leake wrote:
Jim Baker wrote:

Jim Baker
Who's Bradbury Jim?

Well, we can tell you were a teacher Steve. Ignore the argument and focus on a spelling mistake.

My apologies sir. For Bradbury please read Bradlee.

Jim Baker
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great match.. a masterclass in how to win AWAY.... bit of a shame it was at home....

...but hey-ho... Jensen & Macleod ensure that we always have a chance..! Surprised
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Great match.. a masterclass in how to win AWAY.... bit of a shame it was at home....

...but hey-ho... Jensen & Macleod ensure that we always have a chance..! Surprised

Might have been a bit of a reaction from Tuesdays massive effort from some as the central midfield looked completely jaded and saw Jimmy Smith really struggling to run back second half, but also Izale McCleod seems to have a Danny Bulman "engine" and kept going to the end. Not sure we miss either Tubbs or Fadz with McCleod and Leacock in there?
Just like to see our midfield making space and demanding the ball from defenders more on Tuesday night!
jules59
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we would have got anything out of this game last season.
If we can keep picking up points I'm happy.
I can't see any one in league one, putting many past Jenson,and the rest of the defenders are looking good.
I agree the midfield is a worry, and an experienced midfielder is needed.

Can't ask for much more with two league wins and a cup win.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: