CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Swindon Town matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think there’s a fair-minded Crawley fan out there that wouldn’t think that we were lucky to come away with three points today. 62% of possession and 26 shots to Swindon tells its own story. That said, we had the vital statistic – a goal. (Although I must admit, I thought the Swindon player got a bit of the ball and I’m not 100% sure it was in the box. I’ll await the Football League Show.)

There are many positives to take from today: truly superb defending from a back four (which Gregory turned into a back five fairly quickly) and great goalkeeping which lead to another clean sheet, McLeod scoring again and playing well, and another three points. We would have snapped hands off for this start.

We’re certainly more direct with Gregory than Barker – quick bit clearances and loading the box Evans-style every time a free kick will make it there. And yes, I prefer ‘direct’ than ‘long ball’…

Of course we shouldn’t get carried away though. The squad is obviously paper thin and the midfield has been looking sluggish and lightweight but things will get better as the squad gels, Simpson comes back and we maybe make a signing or two.

What is really pleasing though is that we can argue all day about ability but every player looked up for it out there today and you can’t really ask for much more than that.

A fantastic win and I have a feeling that every point will count this season. Very pleasing.

Jenson – 9 – Utterly brilliant again. Laughable some people questioned this signing

Oyebanjo – 7 – Strong in the tackle and a great outlet

Dickson – 7 – Worked really hard in an unaccustomed position

Leacock – 7 – Fantastic addition to the squad which has smoothed McFadzean’s exit

Walsh – 7 – I truly hope we keep him, obvious captain material

Bradley – 7 – Did well moving to left centre back when we switch from 4 to 5 at the back

Smith – 6 – Lots of shouting but has the turning circle of a truck. Not a Bulman replacement

Edwards – 7 – Gave their full backs real problems and showed an aggressive streak

Henderson – 6 – Statuesque at times due to his physique rather than lack of commitment

Tomlin – 5 – Light weight and panics. Make several poor choices

McLeod – 8 – He is our main man. Always available and a great attitude. I’m not even going to imagine him getting and injury

Banya – 6 – Raced around a lot and a few good touches but another lightweight one

Bawling – N/A – Gave the midfield a real injection of vitality that it needed – but does he have the quality?

O’Connor – N/A – Made some hard and important challenges during his cameo
Phil B
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 51

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:
Sorry,it's not a moan but I'm going to state a fact.
First home league game,on the back of two victories......and we can't break 3k.
We may as well all throw in the towel.

Sounds like you already have.

The Crowds have been low at the start of the season due to holidays - we all know that. And each season our attendances have risen - albeit slowly.

The league is based on points accrued during the season. Not on attendances. If we finish higher than the so called "big sides" then it is on merit.
But why do people continue to moan about it? Most who post on here attend anyway only to be told that it's not good enough.

Better to try and attract more fans than moan at those who already attend.

As for the game I thought the back 5 were terrific. Midfield needs work but 2 months ago most did not know each other. McLeod is a real finisher / poacher and will take time to gel with Tomlin (or Harrold when fit).

Great result and considering how we slumped last year when frequently losing by the odd goal, it's nice to see us reverse that.

Promising signs ....
thumbleft
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant wrote:
Smith is supposed to add bite isn't he? Thought he was really poor.
Smith hasn't been the player I thought he would be, I thought he would be a Bulman type midfield enforcer but he doesn't put in many challenges.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil B wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

The moaning about attendance is all very tedious. It'll take more than three seasons in the Football League for us to be established. Wait until our kids are pulling on ONLY the Crawley shirt and scarf in fifteen years but we have to stick around before that happens.

Swindon sang "Non-league, and you know you are."

And I thought, too right, and proud of it.

But we're here on merit so enjoy it.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:

<2,100 home fans!

Maybe we've reverted to attendance rather than tickets sold?
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hang my head in shame tonight thinking our keeper wasnt up to it mom all over tge 90mins superb save then immeduately sets up winner. keep that performance uo and miht get away with the worst midfield ive ever seen in Crawleys history certainly since we entered professional football.

Swinedon.were awful. We completely out played them. McLeod keep pop up with goal game do nicely. keep these 1-0s up we be promoted by Easter. Gregory you are a geniys how we chalked up a win with no midfield
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant wrote:
And Tomlinson looks some way away from being a league one player

Who? Wink
Phil B
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
ant wrote:
And Tomlinson looks some way away from being a league one player

Who? Wink

Click to view this image at its original size
Click on the image to view it at its original size

Tomkinson Sir !
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil B wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

The Crowds have been low at the start of the season due to holidays - we all know that. And each season our attendances have risen - albeit slowly.

The league is based on points accrued during the season. Not on attendances. If we finish higher than the so called "big sides" then it is on merit.
But why do people continue to moan about it? Most who post on here attend anyway only to be told that it's not good enough.

As for the game I thought the back 5 were terrific. Midfield needs work but 2 months ago most did not know each other. McLeod is a real finisher / poacher and will take time to gel with Tomlin (or Harrold when fit).

Great result and considering how we slumped last year when frequently losing by the odd goal, it's nice to see us reverse that.

Promising signs ....
thumbleft

I most certainly haven't thrown in the towel.
I was just shocked at the turnout.After two good wins and with it being our first home league game,maybe I just expected a bit better.
Trust me,no one wants us to succeed more than I do. thumbleft
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some post-match reaction:

Paul Groves on BBC Surrey - https://audioboo.fm/boos/2400329
Paul Groves interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0-a0Dyr0O4
Gwion Edwards interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMUGsd6QDHw
Izale McLeod interview on Reds Player - http://www.player.crawleytownf.....e-in-three
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
Phil B wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

The moaning about attendance is all very tedious. It'll take more than three seasons in the Football League for us to be established. Wait until our kids are pulling on ONLY the Crawley shirt and scarf in fifteen years but we have to stick around before that happens.

I agree,it is a little tedious so I do apologise for that.I just don't feel it should be brushed under the carpet though.
You will have noticed in a previous post on this thread,I did ask a question regarding the free CTFC fixture lists etc that have often been given away with the local (Observer).I haven't seen one this year,so has there been one?
No one has answered so assume its a no to that.
I still think the club needs to be more proactive with its advertising.
Yes,I had a moan.....but I was at least trying to be constructive.
Bianchiboy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil B wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

Promising signs ....
thumbleft

Exactly! Our crowds are always worse in August, from September onwards they will improve, but not by much!
I thought we did well today against one of the better footballing sides to visit us for a while.
Yes we rode our luck a bit, but we defended like demons, and really should have put the game to bed after rattling the cross bar?
I was actually disappointed by Swindon's turn out today, easy journey for a well supported club, maybe they are above visiting a 'non-league club', as they were so keen on telling us?
Phil B
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I was at least trying to be constructive.

Indeed you were.

We all want our side to be successful. And if JG stays, then I am sure it will be.

hippy2 thumbleft
far2jammy
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midfield are with out doubt our issue I actually thought for first game back Tomlin looked ok a threat and worked hard given lack of balls into him. Edwards on the break looks dangerous. Missing a couple of good midfields and questionable strength on the bench. With that side we will take some away points this year but hopefully also grow into home team at some point.
Savage
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
Phil B wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

I agree,it is a little tedious so I do apologise for that.I just don't feel it should be brushed under the carpet though.
You will have noticed in a previous post on this thread,I did ask a question regarding the free CTFC fixture lists etc that have often been given away with the local (Observer).I haven't seen one this year,so has there been one?
No one has answered so assume its a no to that.
I still think the club needs to be more proactive with its advertising.
Yes,I had a moan.....but I was at least trying to be constructive.

Today started with the atmosphere of a friendly - I thought (naively) there would be a lot more through the turnstiles. But no real surprise. Crawley is a habit with me now - I hope to feel the love again
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: