CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Looking forward to it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddish
Trainee
Trainee

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Looking forward to it... Reply with quote

This is my positive post to explain why recent transfers are good for us (perhaps barring Mr Groves, bit worried there):

Here is the evidence to suggest we need to toughen up a bit:
We failed to beat: Carlisle, Crewe, Stevenage, and Shrewsbury at home
And failed to beat: Tranmere, Colchester, Stevenage, Carlisle, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Oldham, and Notts County away.

All of the above struggled last year and although we did get some fantastic results against top of the table/big teams you have to ask yourself why couldn’t we win against the type of teams above? Did we lack mental strength, did we believe we were better than we really were, were we outfought..?

In addition, we were beaten in cups by 3 league 2 teams, none of which were promoted at the end of the season:

Newport County, Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham Town

Why did we fail to beat these teams and in fact, on I think 2 occasions, were we beaten from being in a winning position? If fact I seem to remember quite a few times last year we leaked goals late on. Lack of focus, again mental strength…?

The season before we finished 10th, last year 14th, with that team were we on the up, consolidating in League 1 or starting a decline?

I for one am happy with the changes, I think the owners/manager have seen we need a new squad with hunger and have acted proactively rather than watching us slowly dwindle away like other clubs who have followed our path e.g. Hereford, Dagenham (nearly fell into the Conference).

We seem much more financially secure now, I thing we were in financial trouble for a while (especially keeping all the big earners) and we now have a team/squad more in line with our attendances. Personally I’d rather we tighten our belts, invest in reasonably priced players and work on working as a team, running the risk of going down to League 2 (although we may still have a positive season, who knows) rather than go out of business and end up with no club at all. What a waste of our progress from the lower leagues, Worst case scenario we’re in League 2, but that’s still so much higher than 8 years back.

Finally you have to look at where out ‘fantastic’ players have gone. One has gone to a higher league, the rest we’ll play next year or maybe the year after if they do well. Don’t get me wrong I liked them, they offered a lot to the team but none of our players made team of the year and we struggled to score/create goals for a large part of the season.

Overall, I’d say last season was OK, not great, pretty good if you allow for the postponents. We had a team of mostly average League 1 players with a sprinkling of good League 1 players. No outstanding talent. Not a team for promotion. Lets not look back with rose-tinted beer goggles with regards to what we’ve lost but rather forwards with optimistic, ‘if you wanna beat us you’re really gonna have to work hard for it’ goggles. Its time to forget about our recent success started by Mr Evans, that’s over. New team, new manager, new dawn!!! COYR!!!

Any comments?
backofthenet
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 421

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't got the hang of this forum have you! Wink

You can't come on here with your reasonable well argued positivity, especially if it's grammatically correct and we'll laid out - you'll totally confuse our resident trolls.

I agree with you, just 2 or 3 more new/loan signings and keep hold of Walsh and we'll have a good season.
reddish
Trainee
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOps, sorry...

How about this... Sack JG, Rio would really strenfen our back line if we can strech the wage bill... bring back Tubbs errr if we dont win evry game this seeson we're rubish? How's that? Twisted Evil
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking forward to it... Reply with quote

reddish wrote:
This is my positive post to explain why recent transfers are good for us (perhaps barring Mr Groves, bit worried there):

Here is the evidence to suggest we need to toughen up a bit:
We failed to beat: Carlisle, Crewe, Stevenage, and Shrewsbury at home
And failed to beat: Tranmere, Colchester, Stevenage, Carlisle, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Oldham, and Notts County away.

All of the above struggled last year and although we did get some fantastic results against top of the table/big teams you have to ask yourself why couldn’t we win against the type of teams above? Did we lack mental strength, did we believe we were better than we really were, were we outfought..?

In addition, we were beaten in cups by 3 league 2 teams, none of which were promoted at the end of the season:

Newport County, Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham Town

Why did we fail to beat these teams and in fact, on I think 2 occasions, were we beaten from being in a winning position? If fact I seem to remember quite a few times last year we leaked goals late on. Lack of focus, again mental strength…?

The season before we finished 10th, last year 14th, with that team were we on the up, consolidating in League 1 or starting a decline?

I for one am happy with the changes, I think the owners/manager have seen we need a new squad with hunger and have acted proactively rather than watching us slowly dwindle away like other clubs who have followed our path e.g. Hereford, Dagenham (nearly fell into the Conference).

We seem much more financially secure now, I thing we were in financial trouble for a while (especially keeping all the big earners) and we now have a team/squad more in line with our attendances. Personally I’d rather we tighten our belts, invest in reasonably priced players and work on working as a team, running the risk of going down to League 2 (although we may still have a positive season, who knows) rather than go out of business and end up with no club at all. What a waste of our progress from the lower leagues, Worst case scenario we’re in League 2, but that’s still so much higher than 8 years back.

Finally you have to look at where out ‘fantastic’ players have gone. One has gone to a higher league, the rest we’ll play next year or maybe the year after if they do well. Don’t get me wrong I liked them, they offered a lot to the team but none of our players made team of the year and we struggled to score/create goals for a large part of the season.

Overall, I’d say last season was OK, not great, pretty good if you allow for the postponents. We had a team of mostly average League 1 players with a sprinkling of good League 1 players. No outstanding talent. Not a team for promotion. Lets not look back with rose-tinted beer goggles with regards to what we’ve lost but rather forwards with optimistic, ‘if you wanna beat us you’re really gonna have to work hard for it’ goggles. Its time to forget about our recent success started by Mr Evans, that’s over. New team, new manager, new dawn!!! COYR!!!

Any comments?

You spelt postponement wrong Smile .
Seriously though, why can't you post something that I can argue with? You're really annoying Smile
seano
First Team
First Team

Topics: 27

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the nail firmly struck, what's promising is that most of us non trolls seem to agree. I've not kept up with where last year's squad ended up, who went up a division? Also how many have yet to sign on somewhere?
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seano wrote:
Consider the nail firmly struck, what's promising is that most of us non trolls seem to agree. I've not kept up with where last year's squad ended up, who went up a division? Also how many have yet to sign on somewhere?

Only Sadler.
Sulton111
First Team
First Team

Topics: 30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
seano wrote:

Only Sadler.

I fully expect Rotherham to struggle next year so if i am right and i am usually not - while its a step up its hardly a giant leap although i do wish Sads well
redz75
Coach
Coach

Topics: 273

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree Reddish, and don't worry about the trolls - they are trying to understand what you have said - having seen all the games last season we did play well against the top teams and showed how good a footballing side we were at times, these matches were followed by some woeful performances when it seemed the team just turned up and expected the three points to be given to them.

By the looks of this season we are putting together a tall, physical squad that will compete against the Northern teams who seam to have a more robust and physical side to their game - this was always shown in the conference against teams like Altrincham, Northwich Victoria etc.

John Gregory is putting a side together which could surprise us all, get off to a good start and who knows what might happen - I was getting worried about the season ahead with everyone going, but now really looking forward to seeing the new team perform
guildford roader
First Team
First Team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Reddish. To push on, we needed big changes. We need to assert ourselves next season whatever the tactics of the opposition. We can't rely, like last season, on the likes of Wolves etc giving us space. Think Stevenage away - the best example I can recall where we were absolutely clueless and didn't have the type of players to compete. Whilst it is exciting getting a new team it will be a massive challenge for JG and co to get them gelled as a unit quickly - as supporters we can play our part by being positive about the new and not hankering after an old team that IMO had exhausted itself.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backofthenet wrote:

You can't come on here with your reasonable well argued positivity, especially if it's grammatically correct and we'll laid out - you'll totally confuse our resident trolls.

I agree with you, just 2 or 3 more new/loan signings and keep hold of Walsh and we'll have a good season.

Actually I thought this was really funny!

(I assume it was deliberate!)

Laughing
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddish wrote:
OOOps, sorry...

How about this... Sack JG, Rio would really strenfen our back line if we can strech the wage bill... bring back Tubbs errr if we dont win evry game this seeson we're rubish? How's that? Twisted Evil

Better! Showing some distinct promise here. You still need to work on that spelling though - there are 3 b's in Tubbbs.
backofthenet
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 421

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
backofthenet wrote:

Actually I thought this was really funny!

(I assume it was deliberate!)

Laughing

"Grammatically" is ok. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/grammatically
The other is predictive text I thought I'd edited. Embarassed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: