CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Forum downtime

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Announcements & suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Site Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 1302

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Forum downtime Reply with quote

To all users,

The forum was taken offline on Thursday evening after I received a phone call from Webfusion, who have hosted the site for many years, informing me that I had until 5pm on Friday to move the site to new servers with a company they had taken over. The 5pm deadline was due to them switching the current server that hosted the site off at that time.

This was the first I was aware of it, although subsequently I found an email about this that was sent to one of my email accounts. That email was received at 6.37pm on Wednesday.

Having had a mixed experience with Webfusion over the years, including a couple of instances of downtime recently it gave me the nudge I needed to move the site (and forum) away from them.

To do this and to ensure no forum posts were lost the decision was made to disable the forum and take a backup at that point.

The DNS records were updated on Thursday evening to the new host provider (GoDaddy) and have been taking effect throughout Friday.

The database backup that was taken on Thursday has been uploaded, although GoDaddy are not fans of the phpBB search facility. As such the search facility is not currently fully available. This will be worked on over the next few days, although some word searches may be lost along the way. I think this is a small price to pay to get the forum active again.

Hosting with GoDaddy is considerably cheaper than Webfusion and the saving will equate to over 100 a year.

I appreciate the patience you have shown during the downtime. Hopefully we will see more reliabilty with GoDaddy than we have received of late.

Thanks for reading.

Peter Bellamy
Site Admin, Moderator and Webmaster of CTFC.net
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello2
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Peter. Did you look at Falcado? Even cheaper, in my experience they are very reliable and importantly their customer/technical service come back to you immediately - even on a Sunday.

Just a thought for next time.
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notso wrote:
Well done Peter. Did you look at Falcado? Even cheaper, in my experience they are very reliable and importantly their customer/technical service come back to you immediately - even on a Sunday.

Just a thought for next time.

Not heard of Falcado. And hopefully there won't be a 'next time.'
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a relief Peter.
My first thought was that Mad Matt had closed you down! Razz
Larry Large
Trainee
Trainee

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter for your efforts. Quite new to the forum but it's becoming a home from home already.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job done, thanks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Announcements & suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: